1. topper

topper New Member

Obama is now going to go all out and aid the victims in the devastating earthquake in Haiti. Ok, fine, they are a poor country and need help, but why don't some other countries help? Why is it just america that does all the helping? There are some parts of America that has still not recovered physically and economically from Hurricane Katrina and Rita and we are now giving money to other countries. Our own economy is in a shambles and our debt is mounting and we are giving away more money? WTH is wrong with our leaders? Do they think we are made of money? I agree with sending clothing, blankets, food and SOME SMALL amount of money, but let's keep it reasonable and not try to rebuild the entire country. Other countries should help as should the UN and Red Cross and other aid origanizatons. America should not shoulder the entire burden.
  2. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Eff Haiti.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

We are getting ready to send in troops. I presume they will try to restore services and provide food and water, etc. and the people in Hati are extremely poor and have lived under an oppressive govenment.

What does all the UN money go for other than in the pockets of the corrupt officials? To me it begs a UN response.

Please don't get me started on Katrina, remember the 10,000 dead that was reported?
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. topper

topper New Member

Terry P, Katrina and Rita were both devastating storms. Many people lost their lives and others were severely disrupted. Even now many people are still trying to recover. So, why does America run all over the world helping others when we have huge problems right at home to take care of. No way can a country "buy" friends with aid and money. IMO, that's what America is trying to do. Take care of home first, then help others if there is still enough left to do so.
  5. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

On Katrina. those who did for themselves have cleared the debris. repaired the damage, replaced their vehicles and gone on with their lives as have those in the subsequent Hurricanes.

Meanwhile those waiting on the govt. to help are still sitting around with their lips poked out. Kind of like crapping in one hand and wishing in the other then looking to see what you have the most of. Hows that HOPE working out for you?
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Parts of Mississippi were also destroyed by Katrina and the people there picked themselves up by the bootstraps and rebuilt. The "other" people from Katrina waited for someone to take care of them and I agree many still have their hands out but refuse to lift a finger to help themselves. Remember the debit cards? Turned out to be a huge boondoggle, big surprise. How many have been prosecuted for that? This year will be the 5th anniversay of Katrina how much longer do these people need to get their act together?

In NH we had severe spring floods that cost a couple their lives. Guess what most people got out of the way. They have rebuilt and moved on with their lives. You know what they got out of it, loans to help them rebuild.
  7. petesusn

petesusn New Member

America has always shouldered the burden no matter where in the world. Yea, we're Aholes until we're needed. After the crisis has been dealt with we're Aholes again. The way of the world. How do we make them stop? I just don't know.
  8. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

We must do all that we can, at all times, to show the world how "humanitarian" we are. We can and will solve all their problems. We just sweep our own under the rug. I'm all for helping others, but lets face it: we have alot of problems right here that we need to be focusing on. How many of our own are doing without food, home, education, etc, etc? Our officials would rather give that to some other country that really doesn't care about us, than do anything about it. Eff them. We need to start taking care of us, and fast.
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

It took Barry what, 13 days to even mention the Christmas Day pantybomber? But he's on the TV in less than 24 hours promising aid to Haiti? And he's telling people to go the White House website to find out how to donate money. My question is why can't people just donate money to the charity of their choice? I'm guessing that a certain portion of those funds donated through the WH website will "disappear." After all, Barry still has to find a way to pay for AdolfCare:rolleyes:
  10. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

We'd have a lot more to give if we were OUT of the UN!:mad:

Then again, the fed would just find another hole to throw it in.:rolleyes:

Term limits, and a salary/perk threshold equal to you constituants.
    I could get behind that.:cool:

The US is like the world Law Enforcement Agency.

We're GREAT when you need us. Any other time, we're Jack Booted Thugs.:mad:

If the US was sincere in their efforts, we'd tell the UN to get screwed, and supply FREE DDT to the world.

Natural disasters pale in comparison to the lives lost to malaria.

I should be the POTUS.
  11. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just wrote and deleted a long winded tirade about how many times we, the good ole USA comes to the rescue of those in peril, those in distress, those in catrastrophic events etc. blah blah. I deleted it because what the hell, we will be ostrasized by the worlds press, we will soon be fired upon by the very people we are trying to help.
    I wonder if help will be offered by all the MUSLAMY countries... Yeah right!... So anyways, I just deleted it and said.. what the hedoublell with it.
  12. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

Brazil has sent aid, but that's the only one I know of.

Haiti is a failure as a country. The only way to fix it is to destroy it as a functioning country and take it over as a protectorate, which is politically unfeasible.

If you look at the Detroit area, it looks like Berlin after WWII in some areas. The only difference is that people can move away and start over. They're stuck in Haiti since no one wants them.
  13. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Well... France for one never forgot the small bit of help we gave their army in defeating Germany.

... and by the way, wasn't Haiti a French colony at one time - nothing like helping "your own"!
  14. rentalguy1

rentalguy1 Former Guest

Haiti is the armpit of the Western Hemisphere. I feel bad for her people, but if they had valued their freedoms, they could have had a stronger government, and could have had better resources to have dealt with this natural disaster. As it stands, the countryside is now in the same shape as their government...and we're supposed to save them? With what?? Fire up the presses! We're gonna need more money!
  15. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Are we all this selfish?

Our money goes to fighting two wars, keeping auto manufacturers from going out of business even though they have a bad business model, keeping thousands of illegal aliens in prison, crashing rockets into the moon, and countless other wastes. If there is any one good use of our money, surely caring for people has to be it.

These people don't have houses in the first place. Haiti is the poorest nation in the New World (which, by the way, we have maintained as our domain since Monroe's presidency). They don't have clean water. They don't even have places to put the dead bodies.

I, for one, am perfectly happy spending a tenth of a percent of our budget to care for millions of hurting people, even if they are not American citizens. I hope I'm not the only one here who thinks this way.