More caliber questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Gun Geezer, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

I was watching the history channel this afternoon and they had a program on bullets. They talked about the different calibers and their effectiveness. It was generally agreed that the .45 was the most effective rnd. for stopping a threat without over penetration. However, they said that the .45's recoil had a great effect on the shooters ability to hit a target because they always anticipated the recoil and jerked the gun off target. The .40 caliber was supposedly produced to be nearly as effective as the .45 but without the perceived recoil problem. The only caliber I don't have a representative firearm in, is .40. I figured I had too many different calibers now and didn't want to introduce yet another one. I've never fired one. Am I missing something here?
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I personally don't care for the 40 recoil. it may be a little less than the 45, but it's very sharp and snappy. I couldn't get used to it like the 45. After shooting the 45 for a while it just seems to get easier and easier to handle. Any handgun can make you apprehensive of the recoil. That's a personal problem, to be overcome,not a failing of the 45..Just my personal thoughts.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  3. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

My stepson has a S&W .40 for a carry gun. I have a Taurus 1911. Earlier this year he was trying to teach his wife to shoot the S&W. I noticed that she was flinching badly every time she pulled the trigger. The S&W has a very sharp heavy recoil that is difficult to control. I convinced her to try the 1911. She was very surprised to find that the 1911 had less felt recoil and was soon able to hit the target reasonably well. The difference is in the weight of the pistols and in the barrel linkage. The S&W is a straight blowback, while the 1911 is, of course, a delayed blowback. I'll take the .45, thank you very much.:D:D:D
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I'm in 100% agreeance with the above posts; a 40SW is IMO the worst recoil to deal with in a "standard" gun. My daughter shot her first 1911 when she was 12 and she had no problem going back for another magazine full. I got rid of my XD40sc a few years back and have not regretted it one bit. The XD's are great guns, but it wasn't a gun issue so much as the 40 just wasn't a caliber that I found useful enough to deal with.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I too agree. Practice is the key to overcoming any problem with shooting. Its not the weapons fault. Its the shooters. The weapon is merely a machine waiting to be mastered.
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

The .40 S&W has a reduced level of recoil compared to its parent cartridge, the 10mm Auto. I don't think it is reduced compared to the .45 ACP.

In a full sized gun, I have never thought the .45 was particularly harsh.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Since the History Channel pictured an SKS-46 and an AK-47 in a show about Bonnie and Clyde, I don't rely on them for any correct or valid information on guns. (Or much else.)

Jim
  8. Gun Geezer

Thanks for the replies. I had forgotten to mention they had also noted that the .38 special rnd. was standard leo issue for many years but reportedly had issues stopping the threat. They then came out with the .357 mag. which introduced the problem of over-penetration. They didn't say much about .9mm though. I personally like the 9mm strictly from the standpoint of capacity, weight and low recoil in all but plastic sub-compacts. Since I have yet to fire one in self-defense, I can't speak about its threat-stopping capabilities.

This helps with my decision not to go with .40 cal., but as far as the perfect self-defense rnd., not so much.
  9. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yeah, there pretty much is no such thing as the perfect SD round. Pistols lack the stopping power of a rifle. You choose what works best for you. I also have never shot the .40, and don't have a need to add one to my collection, I already have the best, IMHO, the .45ACP.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The perfect self defence round IMO is the one that you are 100% confident you can put into the breadbasket of an attacker under duress.

I personally favor the .45ACP. A good test to see if you can control the weapon under stress is to make a mad dash to the 50 yd target backer and back as fast as you can run it, and once back to the bench, draw your CCW and fire into the B27 silhouette at 15 yds and see how many in the 8 ring you've got. That will give you a real glimpse into what youre capable of under stress. And practicing is the only way to improve..
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    +1 though I can't run!:eek:
  12. Gun Geezer

I haven't tried running since I had both my hips replaced. Maybe tomorrow.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You dont have to run.. just get yourself unfit to shoot accurately. I just find being out of breath with a high heart rate does it best..
  14. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I have a Taurus .40 that does not have a bad recoil. It is actually a pretty nice shooter, when it shoots...
  15. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Para Ord., 1911, 230g FMJ...5 out of 5 soda pop cans at 7 yards..Grandson, age 7...There aient no steenking recoil.:ya: :):)

[​IMG]

He like the M9 also...

[​IMG]

But you really want to see a grin...:D..Let him sling some lead downrange with something fully automatic...Shown here with an UZI..:ya:

[​IMG]
  16. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Groan...I seem to remember recently a 9-yr old shooting himself dead at a Range Day with a mini-uzi on full auto...

Kids & Full-auto, just don't mix...sooner or later something will go horribly wrong...

Famous last words...Hey y'all, watchis!!
  17. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Son at 12 and daughter at 11 both shot expert with my 1911A1 NM pistol in 45 ACP. I guess I forgot to teach them how to jerk the gun to anticipate recoil.

When I last shot with the local police at the range Todd, the asst. chief of police was running 2 of his new members and one vet through their annual qualifications. I shot their Glock in 40, they shot my 45 and both my 357 and 41 mag revolvers. Those that shot good with the 40 cal also shot good with my guns and vice versa. If they were having troubles with the Glock they had trouble with the other guns too. Way to much emphasis made on caliber and power and not nearly enough on fundamentals.

One youngster did mention that the 41 was a bit much, he was also the only one of the group who was a city kid and not a farm boy. :D

If I see it on TV I have to start shaking the salt over everything they say.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  18. brad87

brad87 Former Guest

I was 6 when I shot my first full auto. Was a BREN gun (thats the SMG, yeah? Not the drum on top rifle, I'm pretty sure thats the STEN) and I had my dad stand behind me because the stock was too long so i had to tuck it under my arm, and i didnt want to fall over. Yes, I asked HIM to stand behind ME. I shot an uzi pistol not long after and surprised all the guys at the match because I was the only one to manage to squeeze off 2 round bursts, and therefore was shooting them into oblivion with it because I could keep all my shots inside the C ring. The only full auto I was not allowed to shoot belonged to a guy who wasn't a regular at the matches and hadn't seen me shoot all the others, and he said if I had a couple more years on me he would have let me. I shot more full auto's before the age of 10 than most shoot in their lives.
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sten has the mag on the left side , bren had a banana mag on top

lewis gun had the drum on top

my great Uncle at Tobruk

[​IMG]

25 lbs with a full clip if i remember , i trained with one and the GPMG M60 back when
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

The recoil of the 9mm and 40 to me is harder to me than that of a 45acp.

If you're shooting standard loads The 45 is more of a push and the 9mm and 40 are more of a snap.