More Marlin .45-70

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Mar 18, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

buckley bill
    (3/3/03 9:17:42 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All More Marlin .45-70
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Greetings, all.

Newbie to this board. Great comments and sharing, am enjoying the reading. I am about to purchase a Marlin Guide gun in this venerable caliber/cartridge. I am getting back into shooting, may even start hunting again. I have always enjoyed large bore shooting. I found all of the guns in .45-70 to be a "hoot to shoot", though the lighter-weight carbines, some with poor stock design, have been less than desirable. Still, I can't complain. Lever guns and single-shots are what I enjoy. Friends with Marlins all agree they are great products. Newest American Rifleman has nice short article on the .45-70. Referring to Eric's (Airicf) question, in a previous discussion, on kick - I prefer a pad, keeps the arthritis from kicking back, but seems similar to 12-gauge. I don't plan to use low-power loads, so I'll be getting a workout. When I was young, I started shooting large bore with a Mark X .375 H&H. I always considered myself shy of kick, but I enjoyed long shooting sessions with it. I have always had arthritis, much improved of late, but still expect to enjoy the shooting. Though I've done quite a bit of shooting, I still consider myself on the ignorant side, in a room of avid shooters. I hope to improve my knowledge from this form.

Bill

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/3/03 10:53:15 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: More Marlin .45-70
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Bill......welcome to TFF.

Wish I had a dollar for every time the ol' .45-70 has been declared "dead and gone." And I wish I had another dollar for every time I've read of the next "great cartridge" .16 caliber, 6,000 fps, Super Wonder Whiz Bang that was going to revolutionize the shooting scene......and all the time, the old, .45-70, .45ACP, and "thutty-thutty" just keep rolling along.

Makes ya kinda wonder if those "old-time" cartridge designers didn't just know what they were doing in the first place.

And, when you get in a roomfull of "experts"......if ya can't fascinate 'em with facts, baffle 'em with bullsh*t!

buckley bill
    (3/3/03 11:24:18 am)
    Thanks. I seem to experience the same thing. Lovers of these old standby cartridges are thick, out here in the brush. Maybe we are seeing squeaky "hot stuff" wheels getting all the attention, while we quietly roll along with 'em. I'd like those dollars, too. I've got the .45 auto (1917 Colt wheelgun), and the .45-70, of course, but my "thutty-thutty" is a .303 British. I got all the voices in my head together and we voted to not get one more reloading set in the .30 cal class, and get more in the big bores. My trouble is I can't resist a good deal, and the .30-30 is so much fun to shoot and hunt with. (The voices are murmering...)

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/3/03 11:46:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: More Marlin .45-70
    Hi Bill.

Welcome.

I hear the voices also. I often wonder if they are trying to get in or get out

buckley bill
    (3/3/03 11:55:34 am)
    Thanks for the warm welcomes. I am (...we are...?) really enjoying surfing through these postings. It sure feels like "home". My buddies and I have been wondering if we were "silent majority" or "dying breed". I have two sons, however, who are following in Dad's and Uncles' footsteps, so we aren't at zero population growth, quite yet.

I think my voices are too wrapped up in themselves to notice they're in an enclosure...fence? what fence?

Bill

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/3/03 3:08:17 pm)
    Welcome sir to you and your family. I myself have a little addiction to the 45-70 as well, and though with the factory rounds most are not that potent for the old "arthur" in the shoulders but when you get up to pushing for maximum speeds and heavy bullets the shoulders might soon suffer. I did install a different pad on mine, mainly to give me a scrotch more room in length of pull and to increase the eye relief iwith the Burris 2 power. This is my 4th Marlin lever arifle and if you want to count the Winchester levers probably not my last.
    cointoss2

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/3/03 4:32:20 pm)
    Yup -

They's definetely a bunch of us big bore shooters hangin' out here. I likes ta load my Marlin 1895LTD up with 350 gr Hornadys with enough powder to make yer eyes cross over when touched off!!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/4/03 9:54:08 am)
    Those crossed eyes must give you an interesting sight picture, Kdub!

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/4/03 1:50:23 pm)
    Which one?
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

buckley bill
    (3/5/03 1:27:03 pm)
    I'm not too worried about the thumpin' I'll get from hotter loads. I do need a bit more length of pull, however, so a suggestion of make for the pad would be welcome. I was planning on a Pachmyer like I had on my Mark X .375. I have been a lever fan for a long time, too. I've had several Savage 99s. Like 'em, too.

I'll be brewing a lot of my own loads, and plinking with the lower-powered factory loads. I there is a Partition Gold version out there.

I am sure I will have lots of fun with this one. I was able to find a ported one. Anyone have real and perceived differences to share about porting vs. no porting?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/5/03 5:49:48 pm)
    I can guarantee the ports will definetly make you very unpopular with the other shooters or bystanders! I'd wear some sort of ear protection even when hunting with it - that sucker's loud!

As to recoil pad, the Pachmyer Decelerator or the Kick-Eze are good choices. The Decelerator has a "pre-fit" one for the 1895's, but most people find they really aren't that close of a fit. Either Pachmyer's fitting form is off, or Marlin makes varying dimensioned stocks. I sent the pre-fit back, as it wasn't long enough in the toe (about 5/16ths shy) and ordered one of their SMALL brown Decelerators, then ground it to fit on the belt sander. Came out pretty well.

Nosler makes a 300 gr Partition bullet of .458 diameter. Kinda expensive, so I make do with the Hornady 350 gr RN and FN bullets. They work real well.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/5/03 9:16:39 pm)
    Welcome Bill...anyone that enjoys Marlin 45-70's and Savage 99's will fit in well here. I kind of favor 405 gr cast bullets in my guide gun. They make a big splat when they hit and the penetration when compared to jacketed might surprise you. I load mine up to atround 1500-1600 fps. I know you can still up it more but that is my zone between 1) the performance I want and 2) the recoil that I want to put up with.

Next, we will have to get you to take a look at the swedish mauser. 6.5x55 swede mauser...sweetest cartridge going. bullet weight from 85 to 160 gr. Can handle from varmints to elk. Completely replaced the .243 as my antelope gun.

Two points if you can guess why they call me "swede"?

welcome aboard again...swede
    Wyoming Swede

Packet
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/6/03 9:44:48 pm)
    Buckley Bill, the 45/70 is my alltime favorite. I have a Reminton rollingblock that I rebarreled to 45/70 and its my favorite rifle. What a complete joy to shoot. That big boom and slow recoil just speaks volumes of nostalgia. The 45/70 has been around for about 136 years and will never die. Class lives on.

Burnout52
    (3/10/03 7:32:47 pm)
    I bought a guide gun last year,absolutly love it, kicks like a 20ga. I do have the 18" ported barrel, that I do not care for as much, hearing protection is a must. Have used it for white tails in ND, using 300gr hollowpoints, never had a deer drop so fast. But due to the fact I cant hear my partners, because of the need for ear protection, going back to a .30-.30, for now anyway.
    Good Luck

buckley bill
    (3/13/03 8:01:21 am)
    Hey, folks. This is more fun than a pocket full of squirrels!

Kdub01: thanks for the heads-up on the pad. I would have picked the pre-fit, out of laziness I suppose, but have ground a lot of rubber in the past, so I'll check the *small* Decelerator. Also, I confess I knew about being unpopular with nearby shooters. I'll deal with the field problem, maybe will use communicators (beam me up, Scotty) since I'll be with my sons.

Swede: I have a few pounds of cast 405s, so I'll be using them for awhile. I'll give that fps range a checkup. As for the 6.5x55 Swedish, been a fan since my brother-in-law turned me on to it in '74. I do like it, and it seems to be all you say. Don't own one, yet...hmm, gotta sell some golf clubs - I could never hit an elk with any of 'em, anyway. Glad my wife can't keep track of what I have in the shop. Now, why would anyone call you "Swede"...?

Packet: I have really had some fun with Pyrodex Cartridge and some big slugs, for boom-n-shove. I don't think the .45-70 will ever go away. When I see young shooters get exited about it, then they read more, and "want one!" I .

Burnout52: time will tell if I want to change the port situation. Heck, I've been known to make all kinds of crazy things in my shop, and changed a barrel, or three, seems like...

Buckley Bill

mblynm
    (3/13/03 9:04:11 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    My son and I have been considering either a 1895, full length barrel, in .45-70, but he seems to think that if we were to spend the $$$, perhaps the new 1895MR in .450 Marlin would be a better outfit. What say you experts?

I am relatively new to the forum and have enjoyed it greatly. I own three Marlin LA rifles and have never liked the Winchester 94. The one I had the most experience with just didn't feel Marlin to me. I may be partial, too, since my front name is Marlin.
    "For God so loved the World that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16 ~~~~~~~~~~ "If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." Ronald Reagan ~~~~~~~~~~ "The greatest danger to the American people is a government that ignores the Constitution." Author unknown to this writer ~~~~~~~~~~ "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a Little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/13/03 10:31:16 am)
    If you hand load, the .450 Marlin would be OK - not really a whit of difference between it and the 45-70 except the belt on the .450. Some claim Marlin gives the .450 action a different heat treat than the other models, some claim that's a bunch of hooey and use the same heat treatment on all actions, regardless. If you don't handload, finding ammo and then finding a wide choice of bullet types and weights will be a problem. I could argue either side of the .450/45-70 debate and convince you with logic for either. I'll just say I'm perfectly happy with my 1895LTD with its 24" bbl and have loaded up some Hornady 350 gr RN's to 2060 fps that suit the rifle and me very well. Slightly over MOA at 100 yds with a mounted scope off a benchrest.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/13/03 11:04:14 am)
    I'd like to latch on to 1 of those Marlins myself...

I'd also like to try 1 of these...

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/13/03 1:13:52 pm)
    I'll betcha you'd only fire it once, Ricky!!!

Fellow had one of them monsters out at the gunrange last year - shot it twice, laid it down on the bench and went to other things. I watched as he fired - even with two hand hold the hammer came perilously close to the skin between eyes! And he was shooting mild factory loads!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

mblynm
    (3/13/03 1:21:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    I do reload so that a variety of .450 Marlin loadings would only be limited by what is available in the .45 calibre bullets. I do prefer the longer barrel for accuracy purposes, though, an tend toward the .450 Marlin rather than the .45-70. Your comments are well taken, kdub, and thanks. Presently mostly .30-06 and .270 Win but am fixin' to expand to 9mm Luger and 44 Mag. Have an older but a honey S&W 629 that I love, which pairs with my 1894 Marlin.

Ricky, what about the new S&W .50 calibre, with or without factory loads. I had the impression that with good handloads it might really by something to try to handle.

Thanks, Fellers. Marlin
    "For God so loved the World that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16 ~~~~~~~~~~ "If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." Ronald Reagan ~~~~~~~~~~ "The greatest danger to the American people is a government that ignores the Constitution." Author unknown to this writer ~~~~~~~~~~ "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a Little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Edited by: mblynm at: 3/13/03 1:25:37 pm

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/13/03 1:24:07 pm)
    Kdub, your story reminds me of that short vido of that fella that test fired that B.F. rifle cartrige, and kicked him on his arse and dislocated his shoulder...

*note to self, cancel the B.F.handgun idea.*

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com