More nanny state madness

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by jack404, Aug 22, 2012.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Tasmania calls for ban on cigarette sales to those born after year 2000

TASMANIA'S upper house is calling for a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000.

The state's legislative council has unanimously backed a motion that would effectively start phasing out tobacco sales from 2018, the ABC has reported.

The ban would begin taking effect once people born in 2000 turned 18.

Independent MP Ivan Dean said the move would stop young people from taking up the habit.

"This would mean that we would have a generation of people not exposed to tobacco products," he said.

The move comes less than a week after the High Court ruled in favour of the federal government's introduction of plain packaging for cigarettes.

Tasmanian health minister Michelle O'Byrne has asked the state's Commissioner for Children to look at the proposal, the report said.

Tasmania has the highest rates of smoking in Australia.

http://www.news.com.au/national/tas...-after-year-2000/story-fncynjr2-1226455583528
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and

Calls to end the curse of cheap booze

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/calls-to-end-the-curse-of-cheap-booze/story-e6frea6u-1226455267720

3. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Well, I guess the Aussie government doesn't think it has enough to do chasing down drug pushers. Now they're deciding to chase down illegal cigarettes also. Guess you all are going to complete prohibition too for alcohol so they can start chasing down illegal stills etc.

Didn't they learn ANYTHING from the failure of prohibition here in the US in the 30's? Have any of your politicians down there ever studied any history at all?
  4. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

Sounds like what they try to do here. Put you in an aquarium and just feed you every now and then.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

illegal cigarettes they have huge penalties for , just no enforcement other than customs

its the same as guns , they only chase after the legal ones , much easier
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

with all the welfare costs here we gotta get money in

92% of those who come here will never work and many of their kids wont ever get a job either , so we'll fund em through taxing the daylights outta those who do work and through increased sales taxes on things like booze and smokes

but thats now extending out to electricity and water via the carbon tax
  7. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Global warming? Last I heard the US government says there is no such thing... That's why we can't have any tax breaks for using solar panels etc. So, now we have to educate the US all over again that there really is global warming? Guess that's why half of the state I live in is currently on fire! :O
  8. whymememe

whymememe Former Guest

I know, I was in the BM for a while with those cigarettes,beer, and whisky my yobo loved me, i quess. You would think I was selling nuclear bombs.

The word "yobo" as defined in 1976-1977 Republic of Korea simply means girlfriend. Maybe it makes more sense now.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Prohibition never really caught on in the US. Just like criminals disregard gun laws, people disregarded the alcohol laws. It was a great fortune starter for a lot of (criminal) families, including the Kennedys.