MORE NEW TOYS

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gamehunter3
    (6/2/02 4:49:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All MORE NEW TOYS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JUST DROVE BACK FROM PHILLY TODAY AND WHILE WE WERE UP THERE WE PICKED UP SOME MORE TOYS. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT A GERMAN MAUSER. IT SEEMS TO BE A CARBINE. THE BARREL IS 17 1/2 INCHES LONG. THE WHOLE GUN IS 37 1/4 INCHES LONG. IT HAS THE NAME
    V. C. SCHILLING
    SUEL
    I NEVER SEEN ONE THIS SHORT BEFORE. IT SEEMS TO BE ALL ORIGINAL. ON THE SIDE OF THE RECIEVER IT SAYS; KAR.88. IT ALSO HAS 3 SETS OF INITIALS STAMPED ON THE RECEIVER WITH A CROWN ABOVE EACH ONE. IT ALSO HAS THE SAME MARKINGS STAMPED ON THE STOCK TOO. ALL NUMBERS MATCH AND THE BOLT HANDLE IS FLAT. IT HAS BEEN IN MY WIFE'S FAMILY FOR A LONG TIME.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP,
    JERRY IN FLORIDA SUNNY AND LOW 90'S

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/2/02 9:02:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: MORE NEW TOYS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is this an Engineers carbine? I ain't the ol' German Mauser expert, but I have heard of the engineers carbine before - short model, turned down spoon bolt, etc.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/3/02 7:46:50 am)
    Sounds like it might be a carbine version of the Mauser Commission Rifle.

Is this it? www.angelfire.com/vt/milsurp/kar88.html

Note: If you're going to shoot it.....BE CAREFUL. I believe this takes the old style "J" bullet which has a diameter of .318. The modern 8x57 "JS" has a diameter of .323 and is loaded to higher pressures than the older Mausers can handle.

Edited by: Xracer at: 6/3/02 8:55:10 am

gamehunter3
    (6/4/02 5:39:02 pm)
    THE METAL PARTS LOOK PRETTY MUCH THE SAME. THE STOCK IS SHORTER. THE BARREL IS ABOUT 9 INCHES LONGER THAN THE STOCK. IT ONLY HAS ONE BARREL BAND. ON YOUR PICTURE IT HAS THE NUMBERS AND LETTERS ON THE BARREL BAND OUT AT THE END OF THE BARREL. MINE HAS THAT ON THE OTHER BARREL BAND.

THANKS JERRY IN FLORIDA