More questions on reloading for newbes

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smokyhollowforge, May 6, 2009.

1. smokyhollowforge

smokyhollowforge New Member

I read through the last thread on reloading equipment and wanted more advise. I am thinking about learning to reload my own ammo. I want to reload mainly 45 cal colt acp. But I would also like to reload my own 30-30 and 30-06 rifle rounds to. I see in the natchez catalog that they have a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme master kit for $289.95, A Lyman T-mag ll Deluxe expert kit $299.95, A Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press Kit $94.49 and a Hornady Lock n Load Auto Progressive Package with 1000 bullets for $389.99. What are your opinions on these models. The good and the bad.
    Thanks
  2. islenos

islenos New Member

I have an old Rock Chucker and I would say it is the best non-progressive press out there. IMHO
  3. 3ME

3ME New Member

If you plan to use it to load primarily .45ACP, I would suggest you look into a turret press, like the Lyman. I have one of them and am delighted with it. It is nice to be able to switch from one step to another without having to remove the die and reset everything each time you do so.

The turret presses get a bad reputation with some of the guys who try and use them to load bottleneck rifle cases, and some of it is deserved. A turret press is not a stable as a single-stage press, but it is also much faster to use. Straight-walled pistol cases load great on a turret press, but if you are planning on doing a lot of precision reloading on tapered or bottle-necked rounds, a good single stage press is just about a must have. The RCBS and Lee single stage presses are both a good one.

That is not to say that you can't load rifle rounds on the Lyman, but it is a little hard on it and it does have a little play and wobble in the head. It should be fine for small amounts of the calibers you mentioned.
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  4. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I'm new to reloading and I go the Lee. I used it to resize a lot of .30-06 this weekend and then loaded up 5 rounds to test. I like it but I don't hav any experience with anything else.
  5. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

I've been loading with an old single stage RCBS for over 25 years and have had generally great success. I certainly do recommend it for a starter due to its versitility. I would stay away for any that force you to use a single brand of dies as you occasionally find bargins in various brands and I basically rate them all the same. The Lees usually have the best price and I have yet to buy one that didn't work as advertised.
  6. Freebore

Freebore New Member

Rock Chucker Bullet Swage..........been making quality reloading equipment since..........forever !
  7. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I second the lyman turret, the thing is rock solid to me, I think some people miss the fact that there is a rear support on the turret,and it must be set juuuust right. Also tightening the top turret nut is easily done incorrectly, ( I had mine too tight for months which makes for a rough advance) my .308 and 270 wsm rounds are kicking off the thing 100 per hour and they will shoot 1 moa, but my rifles are the limiting factor there. Pistol rounds are about 100 in 20 minutes after a little practice Also a six die head is seriously hard to beat, buy an extra turret head and set up four or five die sets/calibers with no adjustments. The Lyman t-mag 110 volt kit is a huge value if you factor in the digital scale, manual, case prep tools, an absolute rock solid case trimmer with pilots, the #55 powder measure, primer tray, and whatever else I missed.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=924848
    Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You are going to get as many suggestions as you have people who comment. My personal opinion is to tell you to go with the LEE press. I know I will get alot of argument about that but I have a lee single stage press that I have been using for 30-35 years without any real problems (I have had to replace parts). At the same time, I also have a Dillon progressive that I love.

For the price - go with the Lee and you can buy a bunch of dies and other needed stuff (by Lee) for the $290 or $300 that you would spend for the other ones!! You asked for opinions so this is my two cents worth!!
  9. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

312shooter: you hit it right on the head! lol I have 2 of those kits (90 miles apart) and absolutely love them. Very solid when you lock it down. I won't put RCBS down, they do make great products. You can't lose on either in my opinion. A lot of people have had good luck with Lee, and alot have not, but they are cheaper. Not my preference, but they work (for awhile). I'd recommend the Lyman or RCBS. Either will last a lifetime. I am referring to the entire kits, not just the presses.
  10. smokyhollowforge

another question What is the difference between a Lyman pistol 4-die set and a 3-die set?
    Thanks
  11. gdmoody

On the 4 dies set there are separate dies, one to seat the bullet and another to crimp it. On the three die set, the same die is used to seat the bullet and roll crimp the case.
  12. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

I bought a Lee press for about $40.00. It is a single stage Challenger (pre-bushing). I have purchased all of my dies except one which is on backorder. With most of the dies being universal, I have a mix of Lee and RCBS dies. For how I shoot, this system will do me just fine. I do not need to crank out large quantities. If down the road I see the need for faster loading, I have all of the dies, etc., so I just have to upgrade the press.

Old Guy
  13. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I have a lee 4 place that is 25 yrs old it works for me with 9mm,38,44,45,223,7.62,3030.and I got it new in 1984. used it last night on 9mm.
  14. kd4tsc

kd4tsc New Member

STAY AWAY FROM LEE!!! One reason for the price difference is the quality (or lack there of). Stay with RCBS or Lyman. You'll be glad you did.
    I have had some bad experiences with Lee, their equipment, and their reloading data. I actually spoke with the owner (I forget if his name was John or Richard) and I'll be glad to share that information off line with you. Once I do, you'll see why.
  15. smokyhollowforge

I read all the replies and would ask this question to the lee re-loader user! The lee pro 1000 I found new as a kit including the dies .45acp. for $149.99 do you know if the press is a turret and can you buy extra 4 hole turrets to fit it and then install rifle dies in it? I am still undecided on what I am going to buy but this kit says it has every thing you need to start reloading and seems like a great price for just starting out. Also in your opioun well this hold up to doing about 2000k round a year?
    Thanks
  16. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Smoky,

2000k as in 2 million? For that many rnds you really should consider a progressive. For 2 thousand the Lee should last you a very long time as in years.

As to the turret, changing dies is really no big deal, especially Lee dies as they use pressure rings rather than split rings. This is especially true if you will be varying loads as this could require different settings on the seating and crimping die. Regardless, you are talking about saving minutes.

Also, most loaders that are not using progressives do one step to completion at a time on a given batch of loads. By this I mean size all cases then prime all cases then charge all....etc. This actually saves effort through economy of motion and is a lot less likely to result is an oopsie. :eek: Oopsies in reloading can be painful.:(

BTW, the Lee auto-prime can be one of the most time saving toys on the market.

Be very deliberate in your actions, think about it before you do it, and have fun.
  17. smokyhollowforge

two thousand rounds a year is what I am thinking.
    Thanks
  18. gdmoody

tim, are you saying that you have ONE die that loads 7 different calibers?
  19. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My advice would be this; Do you know anyone that reloads? Is there a gun club nearby? You're bound to find someone in the area that reloads, if possible, get some hands on some equipment, become familiar with the reloading manuals and machine/die adjustments and you'll be much more able to make a decision on what would be the best for you. My "cover all bases" advice to your question, would have to be to go with the Rock Chucker, you'll never sell it, no matter how many progressives you end up with down the road.
    Semper Fi - Woolley