More questions on reloading, now on supplies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smokyhollowforge, May 9, 2009.

1. smokyhollowforge

smokyhollowforge New Member

I want to primarily reload for my Colt 70 series 45 cal. What are opinions on the brand/kind of powder, primers, cases and bullets to buy? I have only shoot 230gr ammo through it but am open to opinions. I will also at some point want to reload 30/30 and 30.06 rifle rounds to.
    Thanks
  2. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I use a lee. used it for 25 yrs. its a lee 3 die. that I updated to a 4 die for $20.00 I do 9mm,44mag,45acp,223,3030,7.62. all on the same lee. never had to fix this press. for my 1911A1 45 I use HODGDON UNIVERSAL 3.8 TO 7.2 GR FOR MY 3030 I use IMR 3031 31 TO 32GR primers I like wincherster or remington and cci all good ones
  3. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Reloading manuals will cover the powder, bullets, etc. The reason you need a few manuals is they all come from a different angle and push certain products, especially bullets. I am new as well and chose Hogdgon Titegroup for my pistols and Benchmark for the rifle as far as powder goes. Everything that I have read indicates that your gun will tell you what it likes best in the way of powder, bullets, etc., by its accuracy or lack of. For brass everyone around here says Federal, Winchester, and Starline are the best. Time will let both of us know I guess. Good luck.

Old Guy
  4. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

There is a bewildering array of powders, bullets and primers available. You can't buy them all nor would you want to. You need one well selected powder which will do 80% or 90% of what you want to do. HP38 which is identical to Win 231, Hodgdon Clays and Hodgdon Titegroup (my favorite) as well as Alliant Bullseye will do very well though Bullseye is dirty. For highest velocity you will need another powder, Alliant Unique is a good one. Any primer will do, some folks have preferences and there are differences which you will probably never notice. Any case will do after a fashion but some are better than others. US made brass is best but some of the foreign brass is good to o.k. There are a lot of opinions on this subject on the internet. Buy whatever bullets suit you. Same advice for 30-06, etc. One well selected powder will do 80% to 90% of what you want, two powders will do 99%. You will not find a powder that works well in 30-30 and 30-06.
  5. doug66

doug66 Member

Smokey,

My advice to you, buy and read cover to cover Lyman's latest manual. Pick up 1lb. of Alliant Bullseye, CCI or Win LPP's and a box of 230 gr. LRN bullets. I don't sort my brass by manufacturer.

I understand the myriad of component choices can be overwhelming.

Be safe and have fun.

My favorite loads for my 1911a1's

4.5gr Bullseye
    230gr LRN

5.3gr W231
    230gr LRN
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I second the Bullseye load for the .45, That is exactly the same load I use in my 1911. I do no load the .30/30 but do load the .30-06, and find hodgdons Varget will push nearly every bullet listed for the .30-06 in a consistent and accurate manner. However my favorite load for hunting is 165 gr interbond over 49.5 gr. IMR 4064. Its a tack driver from my 1903 springfield and will turn a deer plum inside out. I also use the same powder, slightly less @ 48.7 gr. under a 168 gr. bthp for shooting bottles and paper. it too is a tack driver. and both loads are just about smack in the middle as far as loading data goes...;)
  7. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Thanks for the information JLA, I have a Springfield 1903, .30-06 too, I got it back in the 60's, and sportsterized it, I haven't loaded for the 30-06 let, but I will give the Varget and you load a try, I like a tack driven rifle or hand gun for that matter.
    BTW, I'm left handed, and I'm thinking about getting a 1911 45 acp, are there any you would recommend that have a good ambidextrous safety and are high quality, I don't mean engraved or gold filled, but a good high quality meat and potatoes kind of gun, I've made several attempts at this over the last several years, either the store didn't have any or they were out, so I didn't even get a chance to take a good look at one, or handle one either, if you have any imput on this it would much appreciated.

Regards

tEN wOLVES :D
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Taurus PT1911A1... I have one, although the only thing left taurus is the frame and slide. They are reasonably accurate out of the box, utterly reliable, and well suited to the south paw. You can get a NEW one for about 650 bucks depending on where you go to get it. I got mine for a shade under 500 bucks...
  9. tEN wOLVES

tEN wOLVES New Member

Thanks JLA, I appreciate your input, I'll look into the Taurus PT19111-A, I 've seen them in a few magazines, and they do look good, and the price is more than reasonable, and if it shoots well too, that's icing on the cake.

Thanks Pard :):cool:

tEN wOLVES :D
  10. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I use hodgen hp-38 for my 45 and 357 burns clean and my wheel guns and autos both love it.imr 4895 for my 30-30 and 30.06 loads. But you really need those reloading manuals, I only have one and ran into a small problem with my manual not covering a certain grain bullet I bought. M D Smith has a good reloading web page but remember that is only 1 persons opinion, PM me and I will give you his web address.You can also google it. Being a beginner I recommend that you start with lee die sets they come with a complete set of instructions on how to adjust them in your press, most presses will accept them they are standard thread.Read read and read some more. Dont skip any steps, its your job to be safe. Once you have started you will pleasantly surprised at how much better you can turn out ammunition as opposed to buying it. It blew me away at the consistency. have fun be safe and one shot one kill {;o).