More range time needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Aug 19, 2009.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

6 Cops, 59 Shots, 43 Wounds, 1 Dead in Tenn

* Print
    * ShareThis

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Alonzo Heyward carried a rifle around his low-rent neighborhood one day last month, ranting about suicide and ignoring the pleas of friends for hours before six Chattanooga police officers surrounded him on his front porch and decided it had to end.

His father says Heyward told the officers, "I'm not out here to hurt anybody."

But the police, who tried unsuccessfully to disarm Heyward, fired 59 rounds to kill him on July 18. The medical examiner found 43 bullet wounds in his chest, face, arms, hands, legs, buttocks and groin. Police contend Heyward was a danger to others and threatened the six officers.

Chattanooga police spokeswoman Jerri Weary described the case as "suicide by cop."
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,540480,00.html
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

A Lot more range time needed, I would say!!!!
  3. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

Back in the revolver days there was a shootout here, two cops versus two bad guys, two six shooters versus two six shooters. Twenty four shots fired, no hits, cops won because they had speed loaders. They were reprimanded. JSO policy forbade officers from possessing speed loaders.

These guys don't need a range, they get their practice in the field.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. OBrien

OBrien New Member

Those numbers really are not that bad if you think about it. There not great by any mean but when there is a human being with a loaded firearm that your shooting at your not going to be as calm and steady as on the range. It figures out to hitting the target around 70% of the time. And how fast were those 59 shots fired?
  5. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

At what range did they fire?

"The medical examiner found 43 bullet wounds in his chest, face, arms, hands, legs, buttocks and groin."

He must have had steel-toed shoes.

If the man had a rifle out in public and the police wanted him to put it down so they could investigate.....he should have PUT IT DOWN.

Brandishing a deadly weapon and failing to comply is an invitation to get smoked.

Suicide.
  6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Hmm, almost 10 rounds fired by each cop. I'm thinking it shouldn't have required that much shooting. If they're going to just decide to use lethal force why not get a SWAT sharpshooter to make one clean precision shot?
    Just seems unreasonable to me somehow.
  7. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

I agree 53 shots or one sharpshooter. Waste of ammo.:D

But seriously as previously stated, deadly weapon, unwilling to comply. I know "we" are a bit on edge these days, but cops are people too.
    And more times then not their the best of "us".
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  8. ARB

ARB New Member

That's a lot of flying lead in a neighborhood. Cops always get bad publicity when this kind of thing happens. Does it take six LEO's firing their weapon ten times? Hell, I'd probably do the same thing if my life was in jeopardy. But, I wasn't there to see if it was necessary. Glad no innocents were hit.
  9. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

did none of these cops have a tazer?
  10. JohnTheCalifornian

JohnTheCalifornian Member

We can always second guess their actions or ask why didnt they until we are blue in the face. I think they did pretty good with the amount of hits vs. misses. I dont think they slow fired on the person, so not too shabby for rapid fire.

Im assuming the man was still standing while collecting those 43 bullet wounds. If he is still standing the threat persists til he is on the ground and dead. Thus the 59 shots by 6 officers.
  11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Naw man it is those trigger happy cops from Tennessee. These morons have absolutly no sense here. Grew up watching too many Stallone cop movies. You'll begin to see more of these instances as time rolls on. Mark my words.
  12. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Local range hates it when the cops come to practice. Bullet holes in the rests at the booths, the ceiling and always damage to the target holders. Its a 50 foot range. I feel bad when I can't hit the 3 inch dot on a 6 X 7 piece of paper all the way down range.