More Star problems

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Munch, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Munch

Munch Member

What am I doing wrong? I got the grip screw issue resolved and took her out for a test drive. After about 24 rounds down range I noticed that I could see daylight (yes, the sun was actually visible here.) where I shouldn't have daylight. the blue dot is what apparently ejected itself. The manual say's it's the slide stop plunger retaining pin. What does this do? .... I get that it retains the slide stop plunger... I just don't really see it's purpose. I'm hoping that someone can explain the reason why that piece would fail so catastrophically. I was firing reloads, 4.7grn of power pistol, 95grn sierra fmj, new magtech brass. Am I loading too hot for my pistol?[​IMG]
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

munch i am sure someone will answer that question
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Munch; I am going to give it a whirl here but a better picture a little further away would sure help. I believe you have lost the spring and plunger, how I don't have clue. The load you are shooting is not the problem. The slide stop plunger does two things; one, it holds the slide stop in one of its two chosen positions and two, it keeps the slide stop (retained) from working it way out of the gun.

Ron
  4. Munch

Munch Member

Some more pics as requested.[​IMG][​IMG]

I now that this is a treaded piece that has just worked it's way out. Any suggestions on where to get this will be a huge help. I tried to order grip screws and some other misc. items from Bobs (gun-parts.com) and have received no response and no transaction has cleared my account.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That piece Munch is there to keep the Slide stop from coming out of the frame easily under recoil. it threads into place and engages the the plunger on the rear of the slide stop (Sorta backwards from a 1911 but serves the exact same purpose). Hunt down another one and loctite it in
  6. Munch

Munch Member

Thank You JLA and mudobber, I will start my search tonight.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It just unscrewed itself and fell out.
  8. Munch

Munch Member

Yes sir, at least that is the only logical assumption that I have come up with. I had not removed that piece in the short time that I have owned it. I cannot speak for the life this pistol has lead, in my time with it has fired about 50 rounds without a single hiccup, other than the grip screw falling out, and this piece coming unthreaded. I'm assuming that due the age of the pistol, mid 80s, and my, and possibly previous owners, lack of making sure everything with threads was tight prior to firing, things had just worked themselves loose. If these assumptions are like most, I may be wrong. I welcome other ideas as to why these things happened.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The reason is simple - vibration. When a gun fires, the blow from firing vibrates the whole gun like a tuning fork and can vibrate loose any threaded part that is not screwed down tight or staked. Sometimes parts are loose from the factory, but it is also possible that a previous owner was one of those folks who absolutely must remove every tiny part of a gun just for the heckuva it and didn't get things tightened back up again.

You might check www.gunpartscorp.com for the part, or it can be easily made. Its purpose is to provide a point the slide stop plunger can bear on to keep it down until raised by the magazine follower.

Jim
  10. Munch

Munch Member

That was my thinking as well Jim. I have ordered a stop plunger screw from the site that you mention, albeit for a starfire .380. They didn't have the part for the S or the SS.

In a different thread about this pistol I was told that grip screws from that model should pop right in, so I hope that translates over to this stop plunger. I'm just hoping for the best as far as fit and function. If it doesn't fit, I don't know.

I"m interested in the process that goes into making one in either case though. I'm the type that would much rather fix it myself, rather than just throw money at a problem and not gain any know how. Any pointers would be gratefully received!
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

If I had to make that part, I would just find a metric screw or small bolt of the right size and thread (usually not a problem as most European makers didn't start way back with their own sizes like Colt and S&W did) and a fairly solid head. Then I would cut down the head until it works OK, then cut it to the right length so it doesn't protrude into the mag well, and stake it in place on the inside.

Jim
  12. Munch

Munch Member

Thank you, I got the delivery email from Numrich last night, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I did find a store with good selection of metric screws, and may stop in today just to practice a little. I'm also thinking of maybe hitting the screw head, once properly sized with the welder. Just so I can then shape the head back into the little button shape.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yep, and either way red loctite it in.
  14. Munch

Munch Member

I got the slide stop from Numrich and it worked out great. Thank you all for you tips and guidance. I made sure to take your advice JLA, and loctite'd it in this time. Much appreciated everyone!!
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The factory might have also staked it in, but the Loctite should work OK.

Glad to have been of help.

Jim