The Firearms Forum banner

more stuff...

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
need opinions on a powder measure and scale, to use both on a lee 3 hole turrant and as a way to ck the charges thrown.

the press mounted one should be easy?? load mostly pistol with a few rifle thrown in. cal range from 38 spec, 9mm,357 mag, 45lc,454, 7.56 -54r ??(sons)
either 30-30 or 30-06

since my reloading area is not a permanate setup the scale needs to be one not easly damaged..have seen a few you breathed on and they broke..

so please suggestions and advise is eagerly sought and appreciated!!

#2 ·
I'd try to find a Lyman 55 or a RCBS Uniflow.

For scales, if you want electronic, stick with reloading name brand and you'll be good. I have the RCBS 750 and it's performed flawlessly for several years now. Any good dig scale that measures in grains is going to be sensitive to air movement; if they aren't, then it's not a scale that I want to use. Place it it a proper and level location and keep it covered when not in use and most any scale will give you more than adequate results.

I also have a 5-0-5 scale and a Lyman balance just in case I lose power or run out of batteries.

With any scale, check your zero and cal before EVERY session; it only takes 30 sec and it may just save your butt.

#3 ·
what is a 5-0-5 scale?? know the digital and balance styles..was actually looking at the balance type due to it having to be put up after each session. and of course the scale weight thingies to make sure scale is accurate!

#4 ·
what is a 5-0-5 scale?? know the digital and balance styles..was actually looking at the balance type due to it having to be put up after each session. and of course the scale weight thingies to make sure scale is accurate!
The 505 is a balance scale by RCBS; it's a decent and very reliable scale. If I was going to buy another balance scale, I would buy a 10-10 to have the higher weight capacity.

Either scale is going to need to be cared for about the same; I keep my digital in a wooden cigar box that I put some foam into. My balance beams are kept in a shoebox and put up on the shelf to keep them dust free.

Most scales come with check weights and if not, you can buy a set fairly inexpensively.

#5 ·
I also agree with woolley on his recommendations on this subject, too. I have the Uniflow powder measure and I have the RCBS 750 electronic scale and I have a Hornady beam scale. I don't use the Hornady very much at all but it is a backup.

I actually don't use the Uniflow very much either. If I am loading a relatively small number of cartridges, I just usually measure every charge. If I plan on doing more than 50 of one caliber, then I will use the powder measure (if not using the Dillon).

I will make one observation/recomendation, though. I like Lee products, all of them except their powder measure, so I would not recommend them at all.

#6 · (Edited)
Every scale is a pretty delicate piece of equipment and either a beam scale or electronic can get damaged by overly rough handling. As already suggested, stick with one of the name brands.
Both styles are sensitive to a breeze around your reloading bench and the digitals are also temperature sensitive as well.

I've got a Lyman beam scale and an antique (oil-damped, not magnetic-damped) Redding.
Out of those, my favorite is the Redding but it's a PitA because of the oil reservoir.
I had an RCBS 5-0-5 for a while too a few years back. Very good scale!
Nowadays, I primarily use my PACT digital scale but for my portable kit I still carry that Lyman beam scale around since it's easier to pack. Plus...it's cordless. :)

Powder measures: I'll second the suggestion for either the Lyman55 or the RCBS Uniflow, and add the Hornady to my list of good ones to consider.
My measure is an old Redding (a mate to that oil-damped scale) but it's the same basic design as the RCBS uniflow and RCBS is cheaper if you're buying new.

#7 ·
Lyman 55 here. I been using one for years and they are exact!

#8 ·
will the Lyman 55 work on the lee 3 hole turrent?

so no one seems to like the beam scale from lee?

#9 ·
I would venture that there are a few guys using them. Personally, I think they're just plain built too light. I prefer a good solid cast iron base and a steel beam so the scale has some weight and has less tendency to scoot around on the bench if I brush against it. But at least get something with a cast aluminum base.
My older Lyman beam scale has a cast aluminum base with a steel beam and it's quite a bit lighter than my old Redding and about equal to the current 5-0-5...works okay for my portable kit but I don't like it when at my permanent bench. I see the new Lyman scales have a plastic base so that would axe them off my shopping list now too.
The Lee has an aluminum base BUT a plastic (okay, phenolic) beam. I'm just not sold on that plastic beam. It only has a 100gr capacity too. Kinda light if you ever want to weigh larger bullets or brass with it. The 5-0-5 and most other scales have a 500 or 1000gr capacity.

Can't help ya with the Lyman 55 fitting in the Lee turret press though. I've got neither one. Hope someone can answer that for ya.

#10 ·
I used a LEE scale for 5 years, no problems exept the dadgum thing would tip if you breathed too hard.

I love my RCBS 502 beam scale. It is as exact as my Lyman 55 in its measurements..

#11 ·
will the Lyman 55 work on the lee 3 hole turrent?

Dont see why it wouldnt. they come with bushings that fit 7/8X14 threaded stations and 2 fill necks (small and large) that thread into the bushing. I use mine clamped on the edge of my bench tho beacuse im a single stager...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.