more than one 1911 .45....?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/25/02 4:08:21 pm)
    Reply More than one 1911 .45....?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you own more than one 1911 of the same caliber?

I'm thinking about a Wilson .45, simply because I love the way it looks, and I understand that they shoot a very tight group out of the box(opinions on this as well?). Problem is, I already have a Colt .45, and the only reason I can come up with for having two is maybe using one for a backup while hunting, while keeping the other in mint condition, and using it very little...I understand that several of you carry a compact pistol, but other than that, what would your reasons for having more than one be?

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/25/02 4:21:43 pm)
    Reply Re: More than one 1911 .45....?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Para Ordnance P16-40 that I am converting to 10mm. I also have a Springfield Armory 1911 V-16. It is a longslide with 16 ports to tame the recoil. The V-16 I use for hunting. It is designed to shoot the 45 super round. I reload 230grain bullets for hunting. They have chrony'd at 1000fps, some reaching 1100fps. I have both ready to use at the drop of a dime. I know that there are guns that should only be looked at, but I can't afford any of those. If I buy a gun, it is going to get used.

As for an answer to your question, you can never have enough 1911's.

Loki
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/25/02 4:37:41 pm)

"what would your reasons for having more than one be? "

This is a trick question, right?

There are many reasons:

they're a lot cheaper than ex-wives, and a lot more fun. And while there are laws against polygamy, there ain't none against polygunnery.

It stimulates the economy.

It's a better investment than tech stocks.

It gives your other hand something to do.

Because they're there.

"Too much is not enough." Dobbs.

-- Loki

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/25/02 9:05:15 pm)
    LOL @ Loki

Nice posts guys...Thanks.

Shooter: I too have the Para Ordnance P16-40 Limited...Just wondering, what are the advantages to converting to 10mm?
    you know...enquiring minds.

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/25/02 10:59:20 pm)
    18+1 of 10mm instead of 40 S&W. Besides, I have about a thousand empty 10mm cases that I can reload.

I guess I'm a "more power" type of guy. ALthough, I have never loaded over any books specs while reloading.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/02 11:38:08 am)
    As a member in good standing of 1911-aholics of America, a board member for "The 45ACP for Everyone Foundation" and the Grand Poohbah of the "Damn I Can't Get Enough 45s" Secret Society, I would just like to say "Hell yes you should have more than one!"

Why????????

Because each one is special, an individual, if you will. Each has it's own quirks and eccentricities. Each will make its own lasting contribution to your life and the lives of those around you.

(mounting the handy soapbox)

I feel that one of the biggest problems in society today is the acute lack of 45s...especially more than one 45...in America's homes. By golly, I think a new one should be bought with every birth...like a savings bond. A new one should be purchased for each birthday after that...maybe even anniversaries and holidays could be marked with a new .45!!! Buildings could be built in the shape of the 1911! National monuments could be constructed to honor the 1911.

(mounting the loftier soapbox)

I envision a world free of the 9mm menace, the nair-do-well .40SW and the cranky, loud old 10mm...a world where everyone has not just one .45...but many. Ladies and gentlemen, the 1911 was created by God and as such will be the basis of my upcoming Presidential campaign in...

What? Huh? Nobody listening??? Insane, am I?????

Okay...maybe it is just a sickness, but I can't get enough of them.

My name is Boom-atic and I have 5 1911's...

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

Loki
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/02 12:07:59 pm)
    Boom, I'm witcha on those points, the monuments, the sensitive new age guy appreciation of individuality and diversity (we are an enlightened group), the embracing of excess, and so on UNTIL:

until you decide that the 1911 can only come in one caliber, and that has to be forty-kerwhump-five.

Sir, I have the 1911 in 45, and I have the 1911 in 9mm. And I tell you, sir, that when the bones of age are creaking, and the ulnar nerve raises hell with your grip, that the 9mm 1911 is a joy and a treasure.

Sir, I implore you to reconsider your narrowness, your exclusivity, indeed, your very bigotry toward the lowly 9. It soothes the soul with its mellow call. It keepeth from harm the arthritic joint. And it empties the pocket at 1/2 the rate.

I'm Loki, and I love 'em all.
    -- Loki

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/02 4:38:06 pm)
    I'm with ya Boomatic.... have three with a fourth on the way!
    I just love big holes!
    I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/02 4:58:48 pm)
    Boomatic, you had me rolling on that one, I mean a genuine belly laugh (wonder if that was considered exersize?).

Keep 'em comming. If I plan to purchase a 232 acre deer lease, buy a four wheeler, a used 2,500 dollar camper this season, I'm going to have to have a real good excuse for the Wilson! The good thing is my wife will be able to enjoy all of it with me...camping and stuff is right up her alley.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/26/02 5:29:45 pm)
    Okay, Loki...I admit it...I have 2 browning hi powers in 9mm, and I have a .38 super 1911. I try not to admit to these things in public...but sometimes my guilt overcomes me and I have to fess up.

And I must say...you have me on the emptying of the pockets...even reloading as I do...the 9s are soooooo cheap.

Crpdeth...perfect excuse for the Wilson. After you get that 232 I'll come out...tell you some jokes in person...and maybe even hunt with ya if ya are real nice!!!!!!!!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

Bompa
    (9/26/02 8:31:29 pm)
    Hello..
    My name is Henry and I have a problem................

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/26/02 9:01:55 pm)
    Addict, Addict!

Is it catching? How can I get it?

Oh, wait a minute............I've got it!

Whew, that was close.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/26/02 9:15:29 pm)
    Re: More than one 1911 .45....?
    Let's see...

8 Colt 1911's, 1911A1's and Series 70's.
    1 Wilson CQB
    1 Safari Arms Enforcer
    1 Dan Wesson Pointman Major (single-digit sn)
    2 Kimbers (Ultra CDP and Gold Match)

All .45 ACP... do they make 'em in other calibers?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/26/02 9:23:44 pm)
    Just need one lefty Randall..........

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (9/26/02 10:01:47 pm)
    Yea, LTS, but everybody knows you are a tough Dude. I gotta show'em that I can fill'em full of holes instead of kicking their butts!

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/02 10:21:03 am)
    Darn it Doc, I wanna be a gun dealer too!!!!!!!!! .45 is THE caliber

No it's not...

Yes it is...

No it's not...

Yes it...

Shut up in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/27/02 8:05:03 pm)
    Boomatic: I'll go ya one better that that, I'll let you go in partners with me on the lease, come on over and bring 650 bucks and a bunch of ammo with ya. lol

Hey Doc, just a little off topic, but the CQB full size version is the piece I've had my eye on...suprised?
    What can you tell me about the "out of box performance" @ say, 25 to 40 yards?
    I've read G&A's recent review on it, but found it lacking in information somewhat...I love the idea of the tritium sights, but I dont understand as to whether or not the rear sight is just "dot" or tritium as well.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/28/02 7:48:08 am)
    BOOM FOR PRESIDENT!

I've got my competition gun....a tricked-out pin '11 that I built.

My carry gun....tricked-ed out lightweight Commander.

My historical gun....an original WWI Colt '11, complete with WWI dated web belt, holster, mag pouches and magazines.

And just for good measure, a British Enfield Mk.VI in .45 acp.

Does this qualify me for Attorney General?

Loki
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/02 1:05:58 pm)
    Here's a great high speed movie of a 45 in action. It starts as the bullet is exiting, and shows recoil in the subsequent frames.

www.kurzzeit.com/index_e.htm

It's under 'movies', then click on the picture of the guy firing a pistol that appears.

-- Loki

Edited by: Loki at: 9/28/02 2:32:33 pm

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/29/02 9:48:29 am)
    Geez guys you almost make me feel like I should buy more than one 1911. Still don't care for them as much as my Berettas' though.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/29/02 10:02:44 am)
    try a 1911 that's been well tuned T, and you may very well have a change of oppinion
    In this age where truth is fleeting and mass manipulation is common, the ability to detect when something doesn't make sense is a valuable one.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/29/02 10:07:54 am)
    I have ZigZag, I have. The first two .45's I ever shot were very well tuned 1911's. Still envious of Tye and his ability to use them and make them work so nice.

But let us face it - I'm not a handgun person.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/02 1:23:28 pm)
    Xracer,
    You sound imminently qualified...a most impressive resume indeed. Normally I would have to run a decision like this past my council of advisors, but they are unavailable (still having the argument from my last post.) So I am just going to go ahead and appoint you Attorney General! Congratulations and welcome aboard!!!!

Crpdeth...hmmm $650, huh? I know where there is a really cool pre 70 commander that I could get for that...hmmm...decisions, decisions....

Thomas Jefferson

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/02 4:13:50 pm)
    Alright, I wont be a prude Boomatic.
    Come on over and bring me the commander and a bucket of ammo, and I'll put you on top of a nice little spike I've been watching. I'll still be expecting those campfire jokes though.

You dont play a guitar do you?

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/29/02 5:30:33 pm)
    As luck would have it...I do play guitar. I know more camp and range songs than you can...well, you know the rest.
    You know, if I had the $650 I would own that commander....everyone should have at least three!!! Where are you, anyway? These tiny flatland deer here are starting to be no fun!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/30/02 6:30:34 pm)
    LOL...I'm in N.E. Texas about 80 miles from Dallas...Our deer are probabally no bigger than yours.

I've seen dogs bigger than the spike my buddy got last year.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/30/02 6:44:33 pm)
    Yeah...I just saw that on your Ebay ad...imagine my dissapointment! As a very wise man used to say..."Boomer Sooner, Boomer Sooner, etc!"

Well...any huntin' trip is a good huntin' trip. I'd just get to your place faster, that's all!!

After reading some of Warpig's posts, I'm thinking maybe we ought to all go out and visit him!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Crpdeth
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/1/02 4:34:41 pm)
    I heard that!

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/02 12:50:11 am)
    Presently providing a home for three (3) 1911's.

1-Remington Rand, circa 1943-44 45cal.

1-Springfield Armory 1911A1LW 45cal.

1-Ballester Molina 1911 45cal.

As it stands, there is and can be only 1 (one) caliber for the 1911 style pistol. That being 45ACP. The one & only!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/22/02 7:54:23 am)
    I believe that the 38 super is a great gun in a 1911 and the 9mm can be made to work great also..
    Heck I believe that everybody should have at least two in each caliber that you can find that you like..Even more if you can afford them..Are they really cheaper by the dozen ???

tuckerd1
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/22/02 8:07:29 am)
    More addicting every day! I have 7 and will buy more when I finish building my house.

1-Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 70
    1-Kimber Custom Target
    1-Springfield V16 45ACP/45Super
    3-Norinco 1911A1
    1-Essex with Ciener 22LR conversion.

Plus, lost my first one to a thief that broke into my house almost 25 years ago.

berto64 & Bompa, I have to agree that 45ACP is THE caliber for 1911. But the 45Super and the 22LR are very nice compliments to the 1911 for a lot more whump! and a nice inexpensive training round respectively. The 22 is very good for beginners.

Other calibers only add more versatility to the greatest design in handguns!
    "They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety." (...Benjamin Franklin, 1759)

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/22/02 7:29:41 pm)
    tuckerd1 - trust me on this...berto has plenty of guns to play with. But I have to admit he does love his 1911's in .45acp...

fxrhm
    (10/31/02 12:19:15 am)
    I have a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup National match (mid 1980's) in SS and a Gold Cup Trophy (2002) in Blue. They are just so purdy and they shoot real well. Why not have too? If I could afford it right now, I'd like a National Match from each decade. I also have a Springfield Ultra Compact 9mm with laser grips for carry - that's a sweet shooter for sure.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/2/02 10:02:17 pm)
    Welcome fxrhm! One can never have enough!

BTW, used to have an fxr myself...'82 model...lots 'o money dumped in to set her up just like a springer soft tail. Never should a sold her.

"A .45 for every man woman, and child if I am elected President. Two for every good looking woman!!!"

Paid for by the Xracer and Boom-atic for Federal Office Campaign

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/3/02 1:33:48 am)
    Welcome Aboard fxrhm!

I can't get enough of the 1911 series pistols!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

berto64
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/3/02 3:35:22 pm)
    fxrhm,
    Welcome aboard!
    What's a fxr? Last real motorcycle made in the USA was The Panhead! Or so I've been told! lolol and mine's a '64.
    So many roads, So little time. Great ta meetcha!

berto

Endeaver to Persevere

fxrhm
    (11/4/02 12:21:45 am)
    Reply fxr
    My FXR is a '92 evo - still looks new and rides great. I believe it was the best frame ever designed by Harley (actually, I think Erik Buell designed it). Anyway, it's a keeper and it does supplement the BMC Chopper I acquired last year and have been playing with (88"B H-D motor and trans on a rigid frame - can you say best of both worlds?) and now sporting a Primo Brute IV open primary.

Anyway - where was I - ok - as many 1911's as you can get, the better. I'm acutally now searching for a Colt 1911 in 9mm to customize for a practice gun.

Silver72
    (11/5/02 5:08:11 pm)
    Reply More than one .45..
    10 W.W.I & W.W.II 1911, 19A1's
    1 Colt Gov't w/ 2 top halves
    1 Para Ord. 7.45
    1 Glock 36

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/5/02 10:10:38 pm)
    Reply Re: More than one .45..
    Welcome Aboard Silver72!

Nice collection there!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/6/02 1:06:20 am)
    Reply Re: More than one .45..
    Hey, welcome Silver72. I have a para P-16 limited. I am thinking of gettting the 7.45 How do you like it?

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

Edited by: shooter22 at: 11/6/02 1:06:40 am

Sgt Nozaki
    (11/7/02 1:33:45 am)
    Reply two 1911s
    I have two 1911s U.S. Army Colts. They help you walk straighter when you have them both strapped on. Also, if you're cleaning one, you always have the other ready for intruders.

Silver72
    (11/8/02 11:17:02 am)
    Reply Re: two 1911s
    Shooter22, The LDA 7.45 is great. I got introduced to the 14 rd. double stack but the wide grip does not fit my hand. The 7.45 was dead on out of the box, but had a problem with HP ammo. After four boxes of ball ammo it wore in and now just runs and runs. Haven't tried lead semi wad-cutters yet but I have a bunch loaded up. The trigger action on the wide grip made me want one. Sorta half Glock and half Colt Gov. I had two Meg Gar mags for my Colt and they run without a hitch in the 7.45, plus the 8+1 is nice. I added gold medallions of the State Seal to the rosewood grips for a personal touch and am fitting an extended slide release. Looks like a keeper.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  2. sixguncowboy

sixguncowboy New Member

Got 4, Kimber, Rock Island Armory (2), & Firestorm.
  3. Keystone

Keystone New Member

I just have one RIA 1911 in .45acp for now. I would like to get a REAL Colt 1911 in .45acp some day.
  4. handgun921

handgun921 New Member

Right now I only have 9 1911's : 7 Rock Island Armory's, 1 Citadel, and a Stainless Essex that I build myself. And I also believe that you can never have enough 1911's. just as long as you also have enough ammo to feed them.

Handgun921
  5. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

I would have one set up for 45 Super for the trail rather than a 10 mm. That way bullets, dies, etc would remain the same except for brass of course.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I own a parkerized RIA 1911 .45. I'd like to save up and get a Springfield GI in stainless. I'm a 1911 junkie. If I could ever take the time to save up the money, I would get an HK USP. Probably in 9mm because I already own a good .45.
  7. curulz

curulz New Member

i have a citadel, RIA and a springfield ultra compact.

I'm looking to get a new one as a birthday present for myself. perhaps a sig, or if I'm really generous (to myself) a Kimber...some of it will depend how big my bonus is!
  8. bac1023

bac1023 New Member

I've got 45 :D

[​IMG]
  9. curulz

curulz New Member

I think you might win....
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You the man! I am striving to catch up with you though. So far I have 3.. and counting. I was told that you can never have too many 1911's and I am a believer. How do you like/rate the Springfield TRP? That is one of my three. The other two are an Essex frame Commander with colt barrel that my gunsmith made for himself, and a 1943 Ithaca/with shoulder holster. I want MORE!!!
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Now, that is a pretty picture. Thanks for sharing.
  12. s+w1911

s+w1911 New Member

wow, you need to go to a meeting LOL:)
  13. bac1023

bac1023 New Member

Thanks.

The TRP is one of the best production 1911s money can buy.
  14. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Nope, I have 1 each of two calibers.
    My Springfield Armory 1911A1 GI:

[​IMG]

and my Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  15. colt

colt New Member

Have 4 and counting, simply the best!!!! I am not a sole 1911 fan, I do have other makes of guns, but the 1911's are the favorites.
  16. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

1911junkee: Oh, look Darlin, its bac1023! He has 45 1911'S they say! Should I hate him?

Mrs. 1911: Why? You don't even know him!

1911junkee: Wait just a damn minute! Is that an S/A Loaded S.S.? NOW I KNOW I HATE HIM!!!!!
  17. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

bac1023,

Seriously Dude, I am humbled by your coolness, and your suave, but mostly by your Mojo!

Are you taking disciples?

1911junkee
  18. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

ysaacres,

To answer your question, yes, one should have more than one 1911. I currently have only seven, but am adding to the arsenal as funds permit. AFAIAC I am seriously 1911 deficient.

On me-Springfield Armory Loaded S.S.
    Car-Ruger SR1911
    Couch-Springfield Armory Mil-Spec S.S.
    Night stand in BR-a second Ruger SR1911
    Gun Safe-Colt SAA
    Range Bag-Colt Government Cal. .22
    Sig-Sauer 1911-22

All are loaded and in "Condition One" at all times.
  19. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

22 and counting..........
  20. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

DD

Cool! I will probably top out at a dozen and a few of them m
    might stay in rotation as other models come out.

What I am currently looking for is an S/A Loaded SS in long slide, and an S/A
    GI Parkerized.