Morel mushrooms are UP in Tennessee!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ampaterry, Apr 16, 2013.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Mowing yesterday, I found half a dozen small gray's.
    I fanned out and got a couple quarts of Yellows.
    After mowing, went back out with the Mrs. and we got another couple quarts.
    All of these were in semi-shade, edge of pasture, along the fence rows.
    All are cleaned, split, and soaking in salt-water in the fridge. We plan on cooking them Thursday, dipped in egg and rolled in flour -

I am speaking of the Morel, AKA sponge, snakehead, dry-land fish.
  2. fasted23

fasted23 New Member

Yum I love them should be up here in Missouri this weekend I'm hoping the may flowers are starting to pop and morels not far after them so I will have to hit my hot spot last year 3 hours me and a buddy got 3 Walmart bags full
  3. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

When we called Pa home, we'd find them under dyin elm trees throughout the woods. Drive dirt roads, when we'd see groups of elms down in the woods, stop walk down. Always fill up a grocery bag within 15 minutes. Go home, fry them up. My Amish neighbors liked looking for morels, always call me wanting to take a drive to search tme morels out.

Here in Alaska, after fires which happen every 20-30 years you always have an explosion of morels the following summer. A mature forest becomes a wasteland of half burnt spruce, sunlight tricklin down through. The ground becomes a foot deep mat of grey ash, hard to walk in as the peat all burnt. The morels come up by the millions, you can't harvest them all. They grow up in areas like tables on hills thathave just enough water, wind, and right temperarures. Always under fallen trees. Usually they are so thick, one has to get on their knees and crawl around picking them. They are literally 4-6 inches apart as far as the eye can see, its unbelieveable. The year after our last fire, my 13 year old son wanted to go pick them to make money to buy guns. Wifey was worried about all the bear everywhere, so I went with him. We had to ride 4 wheelers 22 miles into the best area we knew of. We would pick 800-1000 lbs of fresh wet morels in about 5-6 hours. Problem was it was a rough ride home and we'd lose some (they'd break into pieces) even though we had stacks of covered trays on our atvs. It would take about a week drying on screens and we had buyer set up shop in our community for a couple months, even had hundreds of Mexican, Korean, and Rumainians show up. They didn't do so well as they didn't have atvs or boats to get to where the best morels were. My son and I made at least $1500/day picking morels, maybe more, but it was tough going to get to where they were. My son bought a new atv & a bunch of guns that summer with his money, I had a good time and bugs chewed me up bad.

The following year, so much grass had come up, I couldn't find many morels, it was just crazy. I sure wish I had taken some picts in the woods though, I didn't. You can't believe how many morels, every 4-6 inches for hundreds of yards. The local goldminers, shut down their dredges and started looking for morels. They stayed in the woods, camped out, dryed morels in mesh nets in the trees. They told me that they made more money picking morels and they ever made gold huntin, no joke.

Can't wait until the nx big burn.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

oh yeah!

it's that time of year, need to go hunt some at my usual spot. Crab stuffed morels are the bees knees FYI...

the nat'l forest here lets you harvest up to 25lbs for free at a whack, over the years I've discovered all kinds of great mushroom areas/patches in my hunting grounds in the cascade mountains.

Used to be scared to death of eating the wrong one but they're really not too difficult if you start with the easy ones. Morels, chanterelles and look-alikes, etc... Mycology is fascinating.
  5. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I'm betting tomorrow. Light rain today, and supposed to hit 83 tomorrow, sounds like "poppin" weather to me!
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

We went out over the weekend but it's been DRY here. (supposed to get some good rain tonight) But we found 3 of the (what I call, the black tops) and that was it over a 2.5 hour walk over a hill or two.
    Gonna go again this weekend.
  7. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

would not even know where to look don't even know if the grow in Ct. and would not know if good ones or bad ones?????????
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I wouldn't know one if it bit me!!
  9. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I just knew someone would post some pics
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

The three we found, I took a pic on my Cell phone but have NO clue how to get them to TFF!:confused:
  11. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

12. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I leave the fungus where it belongs...... And it doesnt belong in the kitchen or on a plate.... :bleh:

IT would have to be a bad day before I ate one knowingly.
  13. ampaterry

There is NO poisonous varieties that look ANYTHING like these, so pick 'em, cook 'em, and EAT them!!

We had a batch for lunch yesterday - all that we both could eat, and still froze some up for later!

Here is a close up of one as it grows

close up detail.jpg

Here is one with my boot to give some idea of size; this a typical size

single boot cropped.jpg

Here is a pair of them growing:

cropped pair.jpg

Here, to test your eye, is four of them in one picture

four shrunk.jpg
  14. ampaterry

Just three more, for good measure -

Here is a top view of one as it grows:

top view.jpg

Here is a small batch I got last year, laying in the sink. This shows color and age variations; the lower left one is old and almost too dry to use, but it will soak up water and be OK.

in sink.jpg

And finally, when you have trimmed the dirt off the stems, you split these things lengthwise - stem and cap - and soak overnight in salt water, in the refrigerator. This re-news the ones that were a little too dry, as well as getting rid of any bugs, slugs, etc. that may be in them. Here is a small batch split and soaking:

split and soak.jpg

After the overnight soak, rinse them well.
    Dip in beaten egg, then flour (or cracker crumbs), and fry in butter (or margerine).
    If you have too few for a meal this way, make an omelet and put them in it - FANTASTIC taste!
  15. ampaterry

If you want to go beyone the Morel, try Puffballs.
    No, seriously.
    When puffballs FIRST come up, they are white.
    Pick one, split it with a knife, and if it is snow white all the way through, it is delicious. with age, they get discolored starting at the center, and although they are NOT dangerous, they do get a bitter taste and are not good.
    Slice them crosswise about 1/4 " thick and then cook the same as Morel's.

Beyond those two, get a mushroom book! Audobons Field Guide to North American Mushrooms is what I have, and it is VERY good, with descriptions, ranges, time of year, edibility, and good color photographs.

But still be very careful if you go beyond Morel and Puffballs. The others can be hard to identify, and the results of making a mistake can be fatal.