The Firearms Forum banner

Morer safety questions

809 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  carver 
#1 ·
A recent post got to thinking about this issue some more. I've got some relatively old 22s that I'm attached to.....
Springfield (Stevens) model 52A single shot
Winchester model 68 single shot
Savage model 1903 pump

I've been stocking up on 22 ammo when I can find it, but now am wondering if any (most) of it is actually useable in any of these guns. Ammo examples are.......

CCI Stingers 1640 fps
CCI mini-mag 1260 fps
Rem Viper 1410 fps
Win Super-X 1280 fps

I would say the 2 single shots are in pretty nice "mechanical " condition. Actually the Savage is pretty nice mechanically as well.....I just know that it's considerably older than the other two.

Thx in advance for any comments. BTW haven't shot any of this hi-vel stuff thru these as of yet.

#2 ·
Interesting question. I'll be following to see what others think but my suspicion is that as long as the rifles are in good mechanical order you should be fine. You don't mention the dates of manufacture however my understanding is that "older guns" were made of good quality steel and very capable of handling the hi velocity 22 ammo. Let's see how this thread goes.

#4 ·
I would think that an old semi auto might have some problems with the "hot" stuff. But I see no reason why a bolt action, or pump, rifle would have a problem with any of it. Nothing moves until you move it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.