Mosin 91/30 scope mount

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by WRC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. WRC

WRC Member

Has anyone out there installed a scope mount for a 91/30 with a hex receiver? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

I did this one on a M39 Finn Mosin. Buy the mount and kit(tap,screws, and drill bit) from www.accumounts.com , and follow his instructions.
    Go real slow when drilling, the hex receiver has some angles that'll make the drill bit want to walk on you.
    When the mount is in the right spot, it more or less positions itself for marking the holes. I have some pics in my files somewhere for giving you an idea of where it should sit. I can post or email them to you if you need them.
    After you get it mounted, the mount itself has several adjustment options to correct anything you didn't get just right.
    http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper section/mosin-nagant-sighting.asp

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This what my scope came off of, check out that custom mount!:D

[​IMG]
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

good thread WRC, post up your instruction trap, i have a remington pattern i want to mout one on...
  4. momo

momo Former Guest

Hey Trap, nobody ever griped at you for putting a scope on that M39? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about doing the same thing and all I heard was "You can't do that to an M39 that survived the war."
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

6. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

momo, I would never bubba a collectible war horse like a M39 Finn, nor would I condone or advise doing it. The M39 supply has dried up, and the prices will only go up. I have no problem with mounting a scout mount on one, but use a good mount like the S&K Instamount.
    [​IMG]

Beware anyone selling a "Finn 39 sniper", especially with a PU scope on it like mine, they never existed. The very few "true Finn snipers" were either fitted with a PE/PEM scope or Ajack scope(less than 700 made), or the ultra rare PH sniper with a Physica scope(less than 100 made, only two known in the US).

This was a VKT parts gun. I don't think there's more than 3 parts on that rifle that had met before I got it put together. The scope is off of a Finn anti tank gun, and graduated to 2000 meters. The stock was broken in half right behind the rear band, and the barreled action came stuffed in a bubba M38 stock. I'll have to find a before pic and post it just for the shock factor.:D
    I have an all matching wartime Sako, that was never refurbed (tack driver too!), and "had" a minty wartime Sako refurb I sold to a very good friend. We always shoot together, so it's like I got paid to shoot my rifle and I don't have to clean it.:D
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I installed a scope on a HEX Mosin/Nagant 91/30. I used a clone of the original scope as well. But here are a few tips.

Don't go for the center mount but use the side mount. The HEX surfaces are not perfect and the mount really has to be lined up with the bore, not the receiver hex surfaces. This is beyond most home gunsmiths (at least me). I got mine on but it points to one side and the reticule has to be offset (windage) from center. It is visibly offset when you view through the scope but quite usable.

If you go for the side mount (which I installed on my son-in-law's non-HEX Mosin-Nagant) the mount allows for small errors in mounting for both windage and elevation.

But this is no cake walk as the receivers are HARD and normal drills will not easily penetrate them. Taps can break off in the very hard metal. You also have to be careful about where the mount is placed so you don't drill into a vital area of the reciever. If there is someone who offers instructions, the mount, and the correct clone scope, then you may be well served by going with him. This is not an easy carefree task and past experience (by you or others offering instructions) is the way to go or use a gunsmith that mounts these scopes all day long (there are those that do!). I won't be doing another one!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  8. momo

momo Former Guest

Thanks for the info Trap. I have a 1942 VKT that is a little rough around the receiver. I was thinking about getting a PEM scope and mount from accumounts and make into a "repro" sniper. I have an Ajack 4x90 scope, but I'm going to use that on my Swede M41.:D