mosin mods

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by McFry, Feb 15, 2009.

1. McFry

McFry New Member

hey guys, check out what i did with a sunday afternoon, my welder, and a grinder. i also added a 1" piece of 3/8" rod. after the work was done i also blued the entire bolt. tell me what ya think. and trust me, if i can do it, so can you!

Attached Files:

2. Longspring

Longspring New Member

Super slick ! Thats a good length and a good angle . When you get your line of bolts up and running , sign me up .
  3. larrybtoast

larrybtoast New Member

Any chance of me getting one of those? It looks amazing!
  4. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

great job.
  5. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

It cost me I think $56 plus shipping and my bolt for JR "The Bolt Man" to make me my bent bolt for my Polish M44 I tricked out a few years ago. His was plated and polished when done, and looks great, but isn't swept like yours. It more or less is straight down to fit the slot in the ATI stock.

Swept back like that would make it a lot faster to manipulate and keeps your hand closer to the trigger. Yeah mine is closer to the stock when closed, but I still wish it was swept.

Mine is also dished out a little on the top near the bolt body so it clears the ATI cantilever scope mount.

Don't sell your self short, that looks like a fine job. And I just WISH I not only had a MIG/TIG setup, but also knew how to WELD with it:cool::p:D

Now I DO own a drill press and know how to use a tap so at least I mounted my own scope mount;)
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

fine work. Get yourself an electroless nickeling setup and really make the bolts shine.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

heres a shot of the bolt in my finn39. it a boltman ATI #2 with D loop and i had HelixFR nickel it and then hard chrome it.

Attached Files:

8. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I,m putting in an early order,
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

NICE Josh and I'd say that D Loop makes a BIG difference over the original, as
    "stout" as they are.
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

We should start a new thread...pics of what we did with our Mo-seens :):):p:p:p
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I think that's a great Idea polish! :)
    'Sept I got rid of mine a while back. :( But I enjoying seeing what others have
    done to thier's! I plan to own another one, one day.;)
  12. Munch

Munch Member

Thats really nice, post some detailed how to's for us, or your address so we can ship you our bolts. ( If ya gotta die, what better way than an avalanche of rifle bolts) =) Seriously, that looks really good. Awesome job.
  13. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

My M39 basket case parts gun resurrected, Max Shepard bolt handle and safety ring, PU scope mount, and a Finn anti tank gun PU scope.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Holy smokes trap. Mine an easy MOA gun if i hunker down and do my part but i bet that sucker will drive nails all by its self..
  15. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

Josh, for a bucket of parts I slapped together, I impressed myself with it! Consistent hits on a punkin size boulder at a lasered 800+ meters with Bulgarian steel core heavy ball. So far away up in a canyon, after the shot you see the dust fly up, then you could hear the bullet slap the rock.:D
    Used it for a "varmint" rifle on some rock chucks along the Boise River near Parma, ID, it was flipping the chucks a good 15ft into the river. That Czech plastic filled copper jacket practice ammo at 100yrds was brutal on the chucks, "imploded" is the only description.
    Still working on those M39 tall sights, I haven't forgotten ya, between his hrs and mine, it's hit and miss. But I will get er done!
    Portable shooting benches, with son on the backup XM-177E2 for the ones dumb enough to stop and see what the boom was, and why their buddy just went swimming.:D

[​IMG]

Gun the scope came off of, the elevation increments jump from 0 to 500 meters, and on up to 2000 meters.

[​IMG]
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sweet Trap. And no sweat on the sights. I found a 9mm tall sight in a bucket of parts at a gunshow. You can have my old one. PM me your address and ill mail er off.