Mosin Nagant 1891/30 sniper scope mounting ??

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by LDBennett, Aug 23, 2007.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

I found the YUKON 91/30 PU Sniper Scope (Black) from several sources and one stated that it was for the round receiver version of the 1891/30. I assume it is not for the hexagonal receiver version.

Has anyone here fitted this scope or another replica sniper scope version to a Hexagonal receiver Mosin Nagant 1891/30????

I suppose I could make an adapter on my mill and/or lathe but has someone already done that and made it available???

LDBennett
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

update:

Research and advice from my son-in-law shows that two replica scopes and mounts are readily available for 91/30.

Both the Hex and round receivers apparently can use the PU scope and mount from

http://www.accumounts.com/

They have the entire PU setup including scope, mount, screws, drill, and tap for about $200 and it will fit either round or hex receivers, or so they say.

For the PE you need to find a scope (Coles Dist. has a complete setup for a round receiver or just the PE scope, all very expensive). The PE mount (PE over the receiver vs. on the side of the receiver for the PU) for the hex or round are available seperately from the above Accumounts but no PE scope. The best you could do is $300 for the PE scope only from Cole's and $130 for the Hex or round PE mounts (over the receiver).

Since the price differential is so great and Mosin-Nagnat's are NOT my favorite rifle, I'll go for the cheaper PU setup even though the stock has to be relieved for clearance. The scope setup will be worth more than the rifle!!! My son-in-laws PU setup shoots really well hitting ram sized steel targets at 500+ yds almost every time. And his is a shorter carbine!

LDBennett
  3. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

LD, I just put a M39 Finn Mosin together from parts, I used the Accumount and a PU scope off of an Anti-Tank gun. This thing is a tack driver! Email me if you want some tips for the mounting procedure, and a coupla good sources for the sniper bolt.
    [​IMG]
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

TRAP55:

Thanks for the offer of help but I found a sniper bolt at the local gun show last week end. I contacted Accumounts and he had a repro PE and the mount over the barrel for the HEX receiver. So I ordered it all from him.

My son-in-law has the repro PU setup on his round receivered 91/30 and has a loose (saved for another project 91/30) repro PE scope. I compared the two for appearance and optical quality and could tell no difference optically. I think the PE looks bettter on the gun in the over the barrel mount. It's kind of a opinion and not based on performance. I like the look of the over the barrel PE better so that's what I decided to do.

We shoot at a range that has metal targets all the way out to 500+ yds. We like to take our Military guns to shoot at those targets. The last time out it was Mosin Nagants. I could readily hit out to about 300 yds with open sights. He was hitting regularly at 500+ yds with his round receiver 91/30 with the Accumounts side mounted repro PU setup. I was impressed so much that I decided to scope my 91/30.

I await my PE setup from Accumounts at this moment. Thanks for the offer of help.

LDBennett
  5. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

6. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

LD, did you ever get the PE mounted?
    I'm getting ready to mount one on a pristine 1938 Tula 91/30, but the angle on those mounting holes has me spooked!
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

I mounted it myself probably over a year ago. I sweated bullet doing it and I would not do it again!

Here's the problem: my M-N has a hexagonal receiver and I chose to mount the over the barrel mount..... big mistake! The flats of the receiver are not parallel to the bore of the barrel. I found that out after affixing the mount to the receiver. The drilling and tapping was a big deal too as the receiver did not drill nicely or tap easily as it is pretty hard. I had to make offset shims for the scope to sit in to get its optical center in line with the bore of the barrel. The scope adjustment would not do the job...these are pretty crude scopes. I got it done and it works. I should have chosen the side mount (if you can even put it on the hex barrel ??? I forget now if you can but I think you can???).

The scope was a problem too as the focus was adjusted wrong and was only sharp at about 25 feet. It went back and the supplier adjusted it and sent it back (an internal adjustment). Its fine now.

I mounted the side mount on my son-in-laws round receiver M-N gun after a Surplus Arms dealer attempted to do it and screwed it up. The holes end up in a better place but the metal is still hard to drill and tap. That mount can be adjusted to accommodate any optical to bore misalignment...a much better setup but it puts you along side the stock instead of on top of it.

My son-in-law has since found a machinist who understands that the receiver is not necessarily parallel to the bore and sets up the holes to account for that error. It is not all that expensive and there are several others who do it (correctly). I would never do it again myself. Destroying a perfectly good M-N is not my idea of fun regardless that they are not that expensive.

Mine shoots much better than I expected with the scope and rivals scoped Mausers for accuracy, in my opinion and in in-prompt-to testing my son-in-law and I did.

LDBennett