1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

MOSIN NAGANT 44

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Charlie the sniper, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

This what the 1939 Tula will be wearing when I'm done with it. The Hex receiver PU mount was a learning experience, I think this PE mount is going to take a little more luck.

[​IMG]
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

The windage was what the gunsmith couldn't fix. The gun made him cuss for a month and he just gave it back to me, said he didn't want to see it anymore! That's why I scoped it, it is a good shooter now and impresses everyone with the muzzle flash I get from the milsurp ammo, lol. I'm only 5'4" and I look pretty funny firing the rifles.

On Saturday I went to a gun show and one of the dealers had refinished some Mosins, but they weren't very well done at all. When I refinish stocks (and I would never refinish the Mosins or the Enfield I have) I don't alter the original shape of the stock, and use an appropriate finish to improve the look of the gun. The dealer with the bad refinishing wanted ~$300 for his rifles. Ouch. Mine were in-box and covered with cosmoline when I got them, as they should be.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Refinishing M44 stocks is a good way to learn, I have done a lot of them and I get lots of compliments on the ones I've done. But outside of one I "salvaged" and had to extensively epoxy then bed the rifle, so I went whol;e hog and plugged the sling holes, raised the comb for a scope, and filled and reshaped some contours for a Scout project, I leave them all "stock."

If I can raise most of the dents and sanding will get riid of most of the scratches, I leave the grain as is and just Tru-oil it to a nice satin sheen.

If the dings and scratches are a little too deep, I'll stain it with a dark walnut stain and then oil it, when you are done you can still FEEL some of the dings, but you don't see them unless you are REALLY close...it comes out looking like a Hungarian dark stock.
  4. redtail1949

redtail1949 New Member

To anyone that wants lots of info on the Mosin Nagant and the markings on it and much more.

I found this website while looking up my friends "new rifle' yesterday.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm
  5. HughLukeJr

HughLukeJr New Member

Thank you very much for the info, yes , most parts have the Izzy mark on them, any ideas on how to attach a scope with out permantitly alterting the rifle? i have read about installing a rail inplace of the rear sites but im not familiar with a "long eye relife scope" ??????
    Thank you,
    Hugh
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

There are several makers that make "Scout" mounts that attach to the rear sight base after you remove the rear sight leaf and spring. The rear sight is easily reattached if you want to go back to stock. Then you use a pistol scope, or a specially designed EER scope.

The scope itself works nicely, and you can get used to it in a hurry. It is not as precise as a traditional scope, but it is FAST, and you can leave both eyes open too, which allows you to see what's happening around you even while looking through the scope at the target.

However, the only mount I have tried is the NC Star mount which I got in a package deal with the scope, and I do NOT recommend it. It uses an aluminum scope mount, and all the screws (two tiny ones hold it through the sight base ears, and two larger set screws that "bind" it fore and aft against the sight base, which also serves to level it.

The PROBLEM is it "shoots loose.":p THEN you retighten it. And it shoots loose AGAIN. SO you retighten it again....UNTIL you eventually strip out the threads from the soft aluminum with the hard steel screws.:mad:

I "salvaged" mine only because I had completely stripped out the scout rifle so never intended to convert back. I had to fabricate sheet metal ears for mine and drilled and tapped screws to hold the ears into the side of the base, and drilled the mount all the way through and used one through bolt instead of the two small screws though the sides of the sight ears. I had a bear of a time making sure it was level since I was losing the leveling actions of the fore and aft set screws, but then I drilled through a second through bolt through the ears and the bottom of the base and put another through bolt through, and it is now solid as a rock.

BUT it was a lot of work.:mad:

IF anybody else that makes them makes the sight mount out of STEEL it might work as designed, with a little lock tight, but I can't recommend any that use aluminum. The 7x54R generates a lot of recoil and the aluminum threads do not hold up against the steel screws.

Now on the other hand the scope I used was a 4 power NCStar illuminated reticle EER which I really like, both with the conventional dot and post reticle in the daylight, and with the adjustable brightness red dot from partly cloudy until after dark. With both eyes open, and the dot lit, it is FAST, almost like an aimpoint or old Armson OEG optical sight.
  7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

8. HughLukeJr

HughLukeJr New Member

Thanks guys, i posted a similar reply befor reading this one, sorry for repeating myself.
    I think this is going to be my best bet to use this for a back up deer gun, i dont have many long shots in the area i live in as a matter of fact i use a 30-30 for most of my hunting and could most likly use iron sites to make most of my shots but the thought of a scope is nice.
  9. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    Thanks guy's, one thing I have noticed is, everybody I've seen shooting a Nagant "Smiles". I may be buying the M44 below , it was made in 1953, and went straight into war reserve. My shooting friend had to get the rifle proved, and it's fired less than 100 rounds in it's life.

Attached Files:

10. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

That's beautiful Charlie! :D
  11. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    I walked into a gun shop today, 5 minutes later, I walked out with a nice m38 carbine all numbers matching. I will be trying it out this Sunday.