mosin-nagant 91/30

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by pawn, Apr 4, 2008.

1. pawn

pawn New Member

I have been engaged in an auction for this rifle for nearly 2 weeks. I do not have my C&R FFL yet but I am pleased to report that I have won the bidding on this 1942 Mosin that was manufactured in Tula :D

Ordered ~ 400 rounds of Bulgarian 7.62 x 54r today and can' t wait to dial her in.

-pawn

Attached Files:

2. djohns6

djohns6 New Member

Congrats . Hope you enjoy it . It's gonna kick like a bitch ! :D
  3. pawn

pawn New Member

lol, cant wait:D
  4. The accuracy of that rifle will likely amaze you, Pawn. They may be ugly ol' brutes, but function as designed. And just think, with the bayonet in place, you have the perfect frog sticker too. :D;)
  5. pawn

pawn New Member

cheers sir.:)
  6. pawn

pawn New Member

Put ~ 75 rounds of heavy ball, bulgarian surplus through her today...

Eventhough the trigger has a good bit of creep, I found this rifle to be highly accurate and a pleasure to shoot -- I shot without the bayo. Recoil was pronounced but manageable. Overall, I am very pleased with my 91/30, money well spent :D

Attached Files:

7. pawn

pawn New Member

ok, I admit my shoulder is sore today ;)
  8. Rommelvon

Rommelvon New Member

Great fun rifle, check out my videos on youtube under rangereview they hurt like hell after a few rounds...but it's worth it
  9. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

91/30s don't bother me much, but M38s and M44s do, especially if you mount them in a Synthetic stock. In regular stocks all of them are heavy enough to absorb the recoil, but I think the shockwave and blast from the shorter barrel adds to the "felt recoil" of the carbines....:eek:;)

How much did you give for the Tula if you don't mind me asking?

And is it a high wall or low wall?

Tula actually only made 91/30s until early 1942, and actually from the time they started making Tokarevs in 1938 they made a lot less than Izhevsk.

But when the Germans on the way to Stalingrad in 1942 threatened Tula, the Russians packed up all the equipment and shiiped it east to the Izhevsk plant east of the Urals, as part of the propaganda "myth" that they moved whole industries out of the path of the Germans and got them up and running quickly to beat them. (They actually had already built before the war many "secret" modern factories, {like "Tankograd"}and had upgraded and enlarged older ones already there, so while they did ship a lot of MACHINERY east, as well as workers, they did "NOT build new factories from scratch" as the myth goes....)

The Russians installed the Tula equipment at Izhevsk and started producing rifles there along with their regular Izzy line, but interestingly, they put the Tula markings on the ones made with Tula equipment. They either did this because the equipment automatically stamped them that way, or else just to screw with the Germans and make them THINK they had moved and rebuilt the whole factory.

The Germans actually only briefly occupied Tula, and the factory was largely intact, so it was quickly rebuilt after the Germans were driven back by the counteroffensive, and resumed production in 1943, but it is believed they made no more Mosin Nagants there after that, just Tokarevs, Pistols, and MGs....

So PROBABLY, if yours is a low wall (pre war) 1942, it was probably made at Tula, but if it is a high wall (wartime) it was probably made at the Izhevsk Arsenal on Tula equipment.

But no matter, either way you have one a little more rare than the "normal" Izzy, even though the quality is the same, and they both shoot equally well.
    Last edited: May 7, 2008
  10. pawn

pawn New Member

Bidding started at $135 and ended at $160. Aside from just wanting a Mosin Nagant, I was interested in this rifle as the overall condition is pretty good and the bore is excellent.

I do not know if it's pre or post war. It is stamped 1942 but the Tula star is missing the top point and there isn't an arrow inside the star :confused:.... any ideas???
  11. pawn

pawn New Member

Thanks for that Rom- very much enjoy your range review clips!!! :D
  12. polishshooter

You can tell first by the side of the receiver opposite the bolt handle...if it takes a noticeable "dip" down towards the bottom of the reciver (called the "scallop) then it is a "low wall," which makes it a "pre-war." If it's just about straight across front to back, it's called a "high-wall." Sometime after the Germans invaded in late 1941 the word went out to speed up production, and they quit machining that scallop out, a few months into 1942. They stopped doing a lot of other useless machining and polishing too, so if you still see machine marks on the receiver its "Wartime," if it's pretty smooth and polished it's still "pre-war."

There are a TON of "little" differences between the two, from the same manufacturers, that isn't easy to see until you get two from the same manufacturer, maybe one year apart, but one wartime and opne pre, and compare them. I still have fun doing that with my '42 and 43 Izzy's. For example, he stocks are different, they only drilled a hole in the wood, in the rear of the stock for the sling, and only reinforced the bottom of the front hole too, rather than full metal escutcheons screwed on each on the pre-war. I like to make sure I have wartime stocks on my wartime guns. POST war stocks have sheet metal pressed in escutcheons on both holes, which yours may have if it's a rearsenal. And some of the little slopes and reliefs milled around the receiver of pre-wars disappeared on the wartime ones too....

Hey, figure out which one you have, and now you have an excuse to buy ANOTHER, to COMPARE!:p:D:D

By the way, my "rough" wartime 1943 is the best shooting 91/30 I have owned, so they DIDN'T scrimp where it counted, the barrel or the action!
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  13. pawn

pawn New Member

Thanks Polishshooter, it is a low wall. :D Great idea, buying another to compare.....

Do you sell on *******???
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  14. polishshooter

Yes I do, same name, but I haven't sold much in a while. and probably am in the "buying" side of the market now, not selling....

That price is pretty close to full retail, but Tulas are appreciating quickly lately, some jobbers are even asking as much as a $25 fee to the dealers or CRFFLS to get them "handpicked" now over an Izzy.

IF you have a chance to get to a gun show, you can still find rearsenaled Tulas in Great Shape with all the accessories, sling, ammo pouch, bayonet, and cleaning kit for around $100-120. A lot of guys have them, and picking through them to find a good one is half the fun. Most of them are Izzys (which are just as good, just more common,) but I have seen plenty of late model Tulas or pre-1936 Hex receiver model Izzy's that are just as collectible as the late model Tulas at last months show if you looked...and I ALWAYS look at the Mosins:p

In fact I ALMOST bought a late model Tula for $99, but fell more in love with the old Colt .38 he had on the same table instead....:eek:

I have all Izzy's, now, EXCEPT for a decent well used but SMOOTH 1931 hex Tula...
  15. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Fine acquisition. Now get off your duff and get that C&R. At the minimum, you will need an M38 and an M44 too keep it company. Then there's the Finns......