Mosin Nagant jam ...Help !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by terryu1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

I took the Mosin out again today and after firing about 30 shots I switched to another type of surplus ammo I bought at a local gun shop and I fired the first shot and the bolt is jammed some how. It moves but does not want to come all the way up so that it can be moved back to eject the round. I was able to clear the other live rounds from the bottom. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated since I cannot clean that caustic crap out of the gun either.
  2. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

I had this problem when I switched from brass cased surplus to steel cased surplus in my mosin. The steel cases don't contract like the brass cases so they are really hard to get out. This video on Youtube uses a similar process that I used to get mine up and running.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLL20Oh4P8M

Laquer and dried cosmoline can decrease the diameter of the chamber and they get extra sticky when they get warm from firing the gun.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

that laquer or whatever it is is a pain , only issue with mosin's , ammo ..

some methylated spirits and brush will clean that out , just hit it every so often
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. terryu1

I watched the video and understand what may have caused the problem HOWEVER I have a gun with a bolt that will not open and has a spent casing still in closed chamber. I cannot clean it until I can eject the casing but the bolt does not open.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

If the bolt will move up and it's an emty caseing, take you a small dow rod with
    the bolt lifted up and try pushing it out along with working the bolt back.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Dale nailed it. Just unlock the bolt and put a brass cleaning rod down the bore and whack it with a hammer with the butt resting on the floor, youll break the extractor if the case is stuck good and you force the bolt to the rear. Gotta drive it by the case itself to prevent damage to the bolt components..

Once open clean er up and never use cheap unknown quality steel cased crap ammo.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

I fired surplus ammo through a Carcano once.. never again. It had a soft delivery to where I was lucky the bullet cleared the bore!
  8. Munch

Munch Member

My Mosin has had that problem in the past as well. For me it was as easy as letting the spent case cool for a few minutes and then hitting the bolt upward with my palm like I really meant it. This was also with surplus ammo, and I don't really want to cycle more through it, but I have a few hundred left. Seems like a waste to just forget it in an ammo box...
  9. terryu1

This is exactly my problem. The bolt will not lift enough to allow it to be moved back to even expose the spent cartridge. We tried hitting quite hard with the palms of our hands and for quite a while. I was not cycling a lot of shots so the gun never really got hot. I poured a little gun solvent down the barrel last night and some over front of bolt and let it set overnight and will try again in a little. I was very upset as this was only second time out since I won the gun here. Here is a picture of my target from 100 yds open sights from an old fart who has not shot a rifle in a few years.

Attached Files:

10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry Terry, i'm a bit thick .. hope its sorted soon eh
  11. terryu1

Like I said I cannot unlock the bolt. It will not lift enough to unlock and open. It just about gets to where I can move bolt backwards but just not quite enough. thanks for help though
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Warm the rifle up good...sit it next to the furnace or wherever you've got some heat going. Maybe try a hair dryer on the action & chamber area to warm it up good too if you've got the furnace shut down for the year already.

The Mineral Spirits that we've got here in the states doesn't work all that hot on lacquer. It might soften the goo up a bit, but probably not enough to break it loose.
    You will need get some lacquer thinner instead.
    Be careful not to get the stuff on the stock though as it'll also strip the varnish off of the wood!

It's gonna be a stinker to get that lacquer to loosen up again. The nasty stuff got good and melted when you were firing it, but now the rifle has cooled down and the lacquer has set itself back up.
    Basically it's like the case is held in the chamber by mild loctite so treat it as such.
  13. terryu1

Again, maybe I am not explaining it too well but I cannot get to the casing to put any lacquer or thinner to it. The bolt is still closed and cannot be opened. Here is a picture of how the gun is now. The bolt will move up and down about an inch or so but will not move all the way up so that the spent casing can even be accessed. The action on this gun has been very tight from when I got it but it is odd that the very first shot with this type of ammo jammed the bolt closed.

Attached Files:

14. MSGT-R

MSGT-R Active Member

If there is no screw to undo that the bolt itself covers up, take the action off the stock.
    Pour the solvent down through the muzzle.

..or take it to a gun smith.
  15. terryu1

After padding the gun well I put it in my vise and held the bolt down as far as it would go until getting stuck and then gave it a few sharp raps with a rubber mallet and the action popped open and when I opened the bolt the spent round popped right out. As as side benefit, putting the solvent in yesterday may have really loosened things up as the bolt opens and closes very easily now and it never did before.

Thank You Munch for your advise of hitting it "like you mean it" LOL. I didn't really have to hit it too hard with the rubber mallet and it popped. Thank You to all for the great advice. I think I will try that Youtube fix to clean it up good now.