Mosin Nagant jam ...Help !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by terryu1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

A bent extractor will cause the same issue too.
    Most common cause is the combo of melted cosmolene, and lacquer from the cases.
    It's a Mosin, built with all the finesse of an anvil, for Russian peasants to use. If the bolt got stuck, it got opened with a piece of firewood for a hammer.
    You have two choices;
    pour lacquer thinner down the bore and use a rubber mallet to open the bolt, with the thinner most likely stripping half the stock finish, or my choice:
    Just use the rubber mallet and chance a broken extractor. They're cheap and easy to replace.
    So that it doesn't happen again:
    After you get the bolt out, remove the barreled action. You'll need a .410 shotgun bronze bore brush (.45cal rifle brush works too), 0000 steel wool, spray can of carb cleaner (easier to use than pouring lacquer thinner), tip section of a shotgun cleaning rod, and an electric hand drill.
    Take a small piece of the steel wool and pull it apart. Wrap that evenly around the bore brush. Put the brush in the cleaning rod end, and chuck it in the drill.
    Insert the brush into the chamber, good hosing with carb cleaner, spin slowly working the brush in and out of the full length of the chamber for a five count. Hose it again, repeat. Repeat until the chamber is bright and shiny. It helps to have a second set of hands to spray the cleaner while you work the brush, more cleaner...the faster it works.
    All that nasty crap just flushed down your bore, so clean it like you normally would. You're good to go.
    Lacquer cases won't gum up a chamber unless that chamber is too hot to touch, and the round sits in it for more than a minute, giving the lacquer time to melt.
    If you're doing a lot of shooting with it, and the bolt starts to get sticky, stop shooting, and use the above to clean the chamber.
    Good idea to get a broken case extractor too. Brass, and steel surplus, can and will separate on occasion. Chamber the extractor and eject it, day not ruined.;)
  2. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Well dam, in the time it took me to type that, you already did it!:D
    Clean that chamber now!
  3. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Just got done. Used 20 patches after rigorous brushing. Topped off with a good thin coat of "Silver Bullet Gun Oil". Took bolt out and thoroughly cleaned chamber with a 12 gauge mop and actually , by accident, figured how to take the bolt apart. I cleaned the three pieces of the bolt and reassembled after oiling with Silver Bullet. You can almost close the bolt by breathing on it now. I am thoroughly content. Thanks again to all here. No need to go anywhere else.
  4. warriflefan

warriflefan Member

I couldn't unlock mine with the palm of my hand so I laid it on it's side and took a rubber tent stake mallet to mine ( hitting it from side to side) and it turned over and came loose.
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Terry, if it happens again...hopefully not, but it probably will...you can pour the lacquer thinner down the barrel. Like a good penetration oil, It's thin enough that it will creep between the chamber and the case to soften the lacquer crud up.
    As I mentioned earlier, the lacquer thinner will attack the finish on the stock so if you can, pull the barreled action off the wood before doing any cleaning with the thinner.

But yep, the best way to prevent it is to keep the chamber clean of that stuff and avoid the lacquered ammo in the future if you can.

Glad you got it open and cleaned up!