Mosin-Nagant parts

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

1952Sniper
    (8/21/02 12:30:49 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Mosin-Nagant parts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm planning on buying stuff for my Russian M44, like an original-type sling, cleaning accessories, etc.

For those of you "in the know", where is the best place to shop on the web for this stuff? I know lots of places have them, but who is generally the cheapest and has the best selection?
    Es ist nicht leicht ein Gott zu sein...

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/21/02 1:06:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mosin-Nagant parts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TAPCO is one, SARCO is another, and check out "Cheaper Than Dirt".
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

1952Sniper
    (8/21/02 1:43:50 pm)
    Ok, then let me ask a stupid "newbie" question. Is the sling for the M44 the same as the 91/30? Or any Mosin-Nagant, for that matter? I saw Sarco offering the dog-collar type for about $24 (which I don't mind paying if I have to). But it's advertised for the 91/30. As far as these two rifles are concerned, does the sling fit the same on both? And is this type of sling periodically correct for the M44?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/21/02 1:57:06 pm)
    I believe these are the same sling - a recent batch of arsenal redone 91/30s, Model 1938s, and M44s came equiped with accessories from the distributor - and it was the same sling for all three models.

The leather end dog collar types are the most widely used and "correct" type sling for the MN family, but there were some countries that also issued a straight stitch canvas type without the dog collar. The ammo pouches are also greatly different from country to country, with most of the ones available on the market now being Finnish and Romanian.

Edited by: Bob In St Louis at: 8/21/02 3:00:55 pm

stanmail
    (8/21/02 11:27:20 pm)
    I noticed that TAPCO has the "straight stitched" MN slings for $30 (+ $5 more if hand-picked) but that seems like a fairly high price. Finding the right sling can be more grueling than finding the gun. I've spent a lot of time and money trying to find a sling for my Mannlicher-Scoenauer '03.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/22/02 6:41:59 am)
    The prices on the MN slings are outrageous! I am sure there is an importer right now scouring the European market for a butt load of these to dump on the market at a reasonable price.

I know of one fellow here in St. Louis making replica slings - he found a supply of plain canvas straps of the right color and paid only about 50 cents each for them, and he has come up with the leather and buckles somewhere else, and he puts them together into the dog collar slings. He brings a few to each gun show and sells them for $25 each, but he says with the time and effort he is putting into each piece, it is not really worth it to keep doing it.

1952Sniper
    (8/22/02 8:54:04 am)
    Hmm. I guess I'll pay $25 for a good MN sling, but I don't have to like it. I only payed $50 for the dern rifle! This will raise the value by 50%!!!

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/22/02 9:32:19 am)
    That is my main gripe - you can get the rifle for $40 or $50, but by the time you get the cleaning rod, sling, stripper clips, and ammo pouch, you have doubled your investment in the gun! If the basic guns are going so cheap, you would think the accessories would be available out there cheap also. When I do have them available, I am selling them at a fraction of a percent over what I paid for them, and not making enough to pay for my table space at the shows, so I haven't been selling MN accessories unless I stumble across a heck of a good deal.

By the way -

Centerfire Systems this months flyer, middle section; 3 fer sale - M44 cleaning rods, 3 for $15.00.

TAPCO is selling them for $9.99 each.

chad
    (8/24/02 6:02:23 pm)
    I went to surplusfirearms.com while rebuilding my Finnish Nagant. The people were friendly and helpful. Prices weren't bad either. Used slings $20.

Edited by: chad at: 8/24/02 7:41:58 pm

1952Sniper
    (8/27/02 12:29:31 pm)
    Bob in St. Louis, I saw some slings for Mosin-Nagant rifles at www.gunsnammo.com at $10 a piece, or 3 for $25. They are advertised as "original slings". It will be a while before I order a sling, but if you were looking for them kinda cheap, this looks like it. They don't have pictures posted though, so I can't guarantee it's the dog-collar type.
    Aus dem Panzer heraus und lassen einen Erwachsenen fahren, treten taube Testikel.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/27/02 8:17:25 pm)
    I will have to check them out, but I am betting these are just the straight slings without the leather dog collars - SOG has them too for about $7.99

gwitness
    (8/29/02 4:40:52 pm)
    Try this guy, Skratch@cts.com
    he has acessory sets for M-N's for around 35 bucks shipped, includes correct sling, issue cleaning kit, bolt tool, oil bottle, and a ammo pouch.

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (8/30/02 10:34:11 pm)
    I used to get leather dog collar MN slings from Tapco for $5 each for a long time, about a year or two ago, most were new/unused, but sometimes got some old field repaired ones mixed in, made a killing selling them, then they dried up RIGHT now, and Tapco sells them now when they get them for $24.95...and wouldn't you know it I need a couple. They also had the exact type of sling with straight leather straps on the ends available too, advertised as M44 slings, but I BELIEVE those are actually Romanian SKS slings. They called them "straight stitch."

They are Romanian, from the same manufacturers that the single leather M44 pouches come from that are all over the place now, same general construction too.

I guess the Romanians used the M44 in reserve units up until the late 1980s, maybe later. One pouch I got in a batch of 25 I bought actually had a crumpled up pack of cigarettes in it, with a busted cigarette, the pack was from some cigarette company from Bucharest, even had a matching pack of matches. Others have come stuffed with what looks like old Romanian army quartermaster forms, one was dated 1990.

The leather ones look decent on my MNs, the old field repaired ones I didn't want to sell look good on the ratty 91/30s I have, but the canvas ones are actually more correct for any MNs but Finnish and Romanian.

BTW, I saw the canvas dog collar ones at a show last week ranging from $14.95 to $35, all in the same shape. I was going to buy a couple of the cheaper ones if I sold another M44, but didn't sell it.

BTW, the longer Russian SKS (not "paratrooper") cleaning rods are pretty much EXACT copies of the M44 rod, a Soviet money/labor saving trick...in fact what MAY account for so many M44s with no rods...I saw a guy selling SKS rods for $9 and M44 rods for $12 at the same table...
    "Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"