Mosin Nagant problem.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Charlie the sniper, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Charlie the sniper

Charlie the sniper New Member

England, thats the USN aircraft carrier near europ
    Last weekend, I finally got to shoot my Mosin Nagant m38 for the first time :).
    My first target was at 400 yards, now I must point out that I was shooting surplus ammo (russian).
    I took aim and fired....:eek:, I hit the target first shot. So once more I took aim, the Iron sights lined up to the target....boom.....:eek:, again I hit the target.
    Now feeling confused, I adjusted the sights to 800 yards, took aim at another target....boom..:eek:, hit the target again.
    So now I handed the rifle to a fellow club member, he aimed, fired....:eek: he it the target.

We never found out why the Nagant was accurate, we put it down to the cross winds blowing across the range or poor ammo :rolleyes:.

Yesterday, I complained to the Gun shop owner who sold me the Nagant. Despite the rifle being accurate, he refused to refund my money.:confused:

The rifle is in really good condition, but I don't know if I can keep using it while there is a chance of hitting targets.:(

SHOULD I BEND THE BARREL ???? :D:D:D:D:D:
  2. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

You need to get that to a ballisticatologist in a hurry. I suspect it is infected cosmoline and might spread, through contact or the passing around of cleaning rags, to other Russian rifles. Most likely it will end up on this island off the Scottish coast with the six other accurate Russian guns and the odd Spanish turn bolt. They have cleverly let on that anthrax permeates the ground there but we know their deadly secret.

Oh and of course, continue to store your Finnish Mosin Nagants seperately as they have all caught it and must be quarantined.
  3. islenos

islenos New Member

Prior to going to the range, was by chance the Russian Surplus Ammo setting anywhere near some Match Grade Ammo? If it was there may have been some cross pollination.
  4. Charlie the sniper

No, sorry to say it only came into contact with other surplus ammo (7.62 x39). This could be more serious than originally believed.:(
    Just found this scope on the internet.........will this cure the problem.:D

Attached Files:

5. islenos

islenos New Member

If that is a Russian Scope, then it should work just fine, maybe even better then when new.
  6. Charlie the sniper

I'm entering a shooting competition on Sunday, WW2 rifles, iron sights at 300 yards with my Mosin Nagant m38. Don't think I will do to well against the Mausers and Lee-Enfields, but I may be making the biggest bang and flash.;)
  7. islenos

islenos New Member

Good luck to ya, post the results so that we may bask in your glory.
  8. Charlie the sniper

Not to bad, I came 6th:). My trigger spring broke allowing the bolt to be extracted every time I cycled the action:( ........but I still enjoyed my self.

The Gentleman (And he is real one) who came second, is a Veteran of the D-day landings, everybody was so pleased for him. He was the real winner on the day.
  9. Charlie the sniper

Just a couple of photo's from today. The competition was supposed to take place on a 300 yard range, but at the last minute we were given the sole use of a 200 yard range. The rifle range was opened in 1860.

Attached Files: