Mosin Nagant question????

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by big steve, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I got mine from J&G sales online. My 91/30 has a round receiver, laminate stock, was made in 1943, and appears to be unfired. With my c&r, I paid $127 shipped, and that includes the select option. I like it. It is a looker.
  2. flyingAMT

flyingAMT New Member

I bought a Mosin 91/30 mail order from Aim Surplus in 2008 for $69 plus shipping and FFL charge plus a can of 880 rounds of 1970s surplus ammo. Best $220 I've ever spent. Not a bucket list thing, that was a AR15 for me, but the rifle is great fun and usually gets the most interest at the range. The surplus ammo is fine for plinking, but I found it difficult to hold a decent group with it at 100yds. Tried w/ and w/o the bayonet and the groups were terrible, nearly 1 foot diameter all over the place. I had some Wolf brand soft point non-corrosive primer stuff that did shoot much better, but of course cost more too. Remember, all the surplus ammo is corrosive primer, so clean the gun well ASAP after you use it. Mojo makes some "drop-in" ghost ring sites for the Mosin but they cost as much as the rifle ($70). I also bought an synthetic montecarlo stock, but had to remove it to shoot MBA (Military Bolt Action) with a friend, since the rifle was required to be in original condition. The synthetic stock is decent, but doesn't fit as well as I had hoped...The rifle is fine in stock condition, just wanted a more modern feel, and the rubber butt pad was a plus too. My BIL bought a Hex Receiver Mosin from the same company and had no problems either. Both guns had dark rifling at first, but after a few shots and cleanings, they are starting to brighten up. The Mosin is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. $129 from a local shop doesn't sound far off to me, but $150 is pushing it. $100 is great deal at a gun show or local shop. With 17 million made, they should be around for a while, but for $100 why wait?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  3. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I bought an Izzy M38 and a boatload of ammo from a relative for $100. Best $100 I ever spent. A fair amount of elbow grease, tung oil, fine grit and fine steel wool, and the thing looks great and shoots even better. It's really handy and will take any critter in North America. Muzzle flash is spectacular, recoil is somewhat stout, but it is surprisingly accurate, even with crappy military ammo. Plus, there's a fair amount of aftermarket goodies to be had for it. Even at $129, you can't go wrong with a Mosin.
  4. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I Bought a 1943 Izzy From C&R about a Year ago,,Nice rifle to mess around with and a vey good shooter Paid about 80.00 for it,,just make sue you do a proper clean up

Attached Files:

5. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Because Tula made less of them and was supposed to be a bit better quality. Same thing with hex receivers and round receivers, people prefer the hexes.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 Member

The Chinese used some kind of cheap wood for their stocks. They almost never look good.
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

8. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

The russians alone made 30-40 MILLION of these rifles. The russians stopped using them in the 1980's. Don't worry about hunting ammo(soft lead point)- lots of it made by BEar and other russian companies. Even US firms make some in reloadedable boxer primed non -corrosive ammo. The iron sights on most of the "long" Mosins go to 2000 meters. Soo do NOT snap shoot game and know what is BEHIND the game if you miss your shot. Do lots of range time. the M44 carbines go to 1500 meters. The effective range is about 1000 meters with a inexpensive scope.

The Finns made a couple of million and are prized by shooter and collectors (they are better made with good scandanavian steel or belgian steel.

I have one russian mosin rifle made in 1923 - I do not have a problem hunting with it. I do not consider it a collector piece- which I suspect someone will tell me it is.
  9. armenjs802

armenjs802 New Member

Well, one of the few banned States in US, and for
    Checkout Classic Arms, they still have them for 99 or Aims, they were out but check again. You might look in for J@G and Widener's as well.
    good luck.
  10. PMK

PMK Former Guest

Have a 1928 Tula hex. Counter bored once. Does not shoot as accurate as my '43 Izzy "Salt Mine" gun. But it has better balance since its furniture is the lighter Siberian Beech. The '43 is pine. Tula is supposedly more accurate so they say. '43 would shoot clays at 100 yds. all day long tho. The '28 is more detailed and she told me she loves me, so she is my favorite. The '43 Izzy was probably more accurate because she probably never fired in the line of duty. She was used by guards in the mines. Buy the ones you can put hands on. And watch out for those as well as some people will run bore sheen down them to try and throw you off. No pits? Then your good to go. They are all pretty accurate across the board.
  11. PMK

PMK Former Guest

12. PMK

PMK Former Guest

Ooops. Guess I did that in the wrong order. Were not the Finnish weapons modified captures?
  13. gandog56

gandog56 Member

If the original barrels passed some rather vigorous Finn test standards, the Finns just stamped the barrels with the SA mark Now the wood is a different story.
  14. scottbird

scottbird New Member

I have been buying these rifles for several years, back when I first started buying them I paid around $40.00. now in my area $150.00 is the norm. I buy them and sprotsize them. I redo the bolt, so it is bent, cut off the stock, sand and refinish the stock, re blue the barrel, I cut the barrel down to 24" and scope it.

after all this I spend around $275.00 and they sell around $375.00. I do not make much money at it, but it is a hobby, and I enjoy doing it.
    I got a good friend that had his job downsized last year and his son turned 14 this year and he wanted to take him hunting, and could not afford a rifle for him. of course I have a huge heart for kids, even more when it comes to learning sportsmanship, so I gave him one of my rifles.

I could not of been prouder than when the second day of the season he brought over a nice 9 point that he shot with that rifle at 125 yards.

Good guns, they will do what you want.
  15. olafhardt

olafhardt New Member

These bubbles of plenty can pass, I once bought an SKS for 65 bucks off a table full of them in a gun show full of tables full of SKS's.
  16. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I did some digging around on my Finn.M39. This is what i found.

Barrels were made in Belgium
    Assambled in Finland
    The M39's are known for there accurarcy
    They were prodused for match shooting in the 60's and 70's
    They used Russian Hex recivers (Round recivers are rare)
    The stock fingers in the middle of the stock indicates Post war build. along with a pistol grip. (The pistol grip is not as big as you would think but its thier)
    Weight: 9 1/2 lbs.
    OAL: 46 3/4"
    Barrel length: 27"
    Stock length: 42 3/4"

As i dug more on mine, when they built thease they will and could have Barrels marked in the 1940's. War time Barrels are used on the post war M39's but they my have not been used in the war.(a "B" marking)(mine has a 1942 date with the "B" mark. meaning post war. The SA is there as well) Most post war guns made were leftover parts from the war. They will have a recessed crown for match shooting.

Sorry did not mean to highjack the posting but i hope that some of this imfo will help someone out. There is not much imfo on the Finn.from what i can find.
  17. gandog56

gandog56 Member

M39's are ANOTHER story. I have a finn Capture SA stamped Remington M91 Mosin Nagant. I have a couple SA stamped 91/30's. I also have a M39 with a VKT barrel, which I believe the Finn made. They used receivers bought from Russia, that's the only for sure.
    Various M39 Finn Barrel Manufacturers
    Tikka (Later Tikka was acquired by Sako, I believe)
    VKT
    Sako

The "B" barrels were manufactured in Belgium, but the whole rifle was assembled in Finland.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013