Mosin Nagant question????

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by big steve, Jul 25, 2010.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

just a note, a pre-1930 date does NOT automatically mean "ex-Dragoon." In fact few Dragoons were so converted, and any that were have long been scarfed up by collectors.

Most "91/30's" with pre-1930 dates are actually better called "Transition" rifles, and were actually just older M91s converted to 91/30 specs after 1930.

I have owned about 10 of them, still own 2, 0ne dated 1920 and another dated 1929. I wish I still had the sweet 1928 Tula somebody made me a good offer on...:p and none were actually an "Ex-Dragoon," although I WISHED each were when I bought them....:p

But "Transitions" are neat in their own way, abnd besides a lot of Czarist markings from the pre-91/30 days left on many of them, they all differ slightly in the conversion, many apparently done as "one offs" at various arsenals and shops, and not mass produced.

But all of the differences you find on any other Mosin Nagant, such as pre-1936, pre-war, wartime, post war rearsenaled, etc, can be found even on these "new"ones, which makes them just as neat to own and research and shoot as the "old" ones.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

And as far as buying on line, yes you are buying a "pig in the poke," but generally for LESS than the going retail rate. While I have bought some GREAT rifles on line, I have also bought some not-so-great ones as well, but I have NEVER sold one of the "non-keepers" without making a profit, usually the difference between what I paid and the going retail rate at least, so there is not the risk you think there is.

Of course, I have my CRFFL, and usually "pick up" from SOG or AIM to save shipping, so you would have to also figure in the transfer FFL fee, besides the shipping to be sure you are getting the good deal.

But I too have bought some of my collection from stores and gunshops, WITHOUT using my CRFFL. For example my M38 cavalry carbine is the last of about 12 I owned, all in great shape but the only one I found that shot as well as my M44s, and it was from a gun shop! I would buy one, shoot it, sell it for more than I paid for it, buy another, etc, until the one I found that shot well I probably had NOTHING in it considering the $10-$20 profit I made on each of the others that looked FINE, but shot 8-10" groups at BEST at 100 yds:) The one I finally kept will do about 2-3" like my M44s, from a rest.

My Yugo SKS 59/66 was on sale at Dunhams for $99, when my CRFFL wholesale price was $99 too! The tax I paid was the extra I paid for the ability to pick the best of 3 they had in stock.

My Yugo M57, and my CZ-82 I also bought on sale at a gunshop, for a little more than I could have gotten with my CRFFL, but again, I got to pick the "best of the litter," not what SOG or AIM gave me....
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

what is the deal with the Hex receivers?
  4. sidewayskid

sidewayskid New Member

Some 40 years had lapsed since I was involved in shooting.
    A short time ago for several different reasons, the decision was made to get back in to the sport, target only. I am not a wealthy sportsman, so the price of ammo, as well as the rifle were a concern. As a kid, my favorite was my 30-06 Springfield. Following examination of weapon , ammo prices and my bank account, it was evident that the old favorite was not going to happen.
    Having no knowledge, the web and forums were scoured. After some time, the decision was made to try the 91/30. All the reasons listed in this thread were key. Ammo price (later ,ballistics) price and availability, parts, etc.
    Two were purchased. One has been left in Holy Grail condition. The matching numbers,
    slop-o-coat finish and toy kit are complete. Reading the concerns about preserving the breed, not to butcher history, this will be put up and shot once and a while. These thoughts are understood. There are only 17 million of them. The price has rocketed up to $125 to $300.?
    The other one is my shooter. My goal being to become proficient at 500 meters.
    Initially I questioned if the old 91/.30 or myself were capable. Ballistics say yes.
    A you tube post that most have probably seen, 3 hits of 5 at an 18” circle, 1000 yards
    tell me the 91/30 is capable. Given proper set up, it is plus or minus pilot error.
    Set up for me………..
    ATI pad installed with the butt trimmed to yield a LOP of 13 1/8”.
    Slop-o-coat finish was removed. Refinished in lighter tone. A very nice piece of wood.
    Budget trigger fix, shim and new spring were installed.
    The action was bedded in the stock.
    NOT ALLOWED yielded a kit with entry level scope, mount, sling and the ATI pad..

Total investment at this point is $170. First outing 100 yards, last five shots, three on the 9 black border. One 1” from the dead center 10, one 1” from that. Finish should be 1-2 MOA.
    What did I learn……………? Retailers are of these are not the same. Some pay almost nothing from the importer and shovel it out the door. Some pay more to the importer and take some concern in what they sell to you. The direction that was taken by me, was suggested by the retailer. Black OPS Gear was a help.
    It is not necessary to be a wealthy sportsman to be good shooter. If I was well to do…….
    probably buy another 91/30.

Attached Files:

5. kermit

kermit New Member

do you have a C&R 03FFL ? aim surplus 2 Mosin Nagant M91/30 delivered to your door $202 for both. why buy 1 when you can buy 2?
  6. kermit

kermit New Member

a real Mosin Nagant M91/30 sniper from Rguns is on my bucket list.
  7. kermit

kermit New Member

both of my Mosin Nagant M1891-30 1938 Tula and 1942 Izhevsk are from Big5.. 42 had crappy stock otherwise really really good. 38 Tula had brass ends on handguard and prewar sling slot escuthceons. nice bore on both. if i was going to buy 1 from Big5 it would be 1930-1939 Tula.
  8. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

As one of the sponsors of a Mosin Nagant forum, what I can tell you for sure is this. Prices are creeping up. Whether or not they are about to "run out", none of the importers will know. With production figures estimated at somewhere around 15-17 million 91/30's, I'd wager that there's plenty for everyone. Demand has jumped up, which is why the prices are too. Look at the bigger dealers, SOG, AIM, Century, and you'll see the prices remain around $90-$100. SOG currently has the hex's priced at a very reasonable $99.95, but if you don't have at least an 03FFL you won't be able to get them shipped straight to you.

Another thing I can tell you is that these things have so many variations that there isn't room to define all of them. If you take a look at the 7.62x54r.net website, you'll see pages just listing the different SIGHTS that they had, what year, what arsenal, etc etc etc.

Also, there is the dreaded Mosinitus. Seems that once you buy one, you kinda want another, then another, then before long you spend all your time searching for that one year made in a specific arsenal!

And the original rifles were made in France, in the Chatellerault factory due to the Russian having startup problems in Tula, Izhevsk and Sestroryetsk. During WWI contracts were also given to New England Westinghouse and Remington for 1.8 and 1.5 million rifles, respectively. Those were never shipped however and were sold on the civilian market as well as used by the US military for training purposes. There are Dragoon's, and Cossack rifles, and don't even get started on the captures by other nations that were refurbished and put into battle by that countries military! They have a long and interesting history, and while right now they are inexpensive, I think most agree there's no time like the present to pick a few of them up, if nothing else get one of the carbines, the four foot fireball usually scares the heck out of a lot of the people on the range!
  9. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Because l ready own like 12? It would need to be something rare or unusual for me to buy more.:eek:

Although I might be interested if they were Tula Hexes.
  10. kermit

kermit New Member

T 53 from AIM for $119 on sale now.
  11. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

I got mine from J&G sales online. My 91/30 has a round receiver, laminate stock, was made in 1943, and appears to be unfired. With my c&r, I paid $127 shipped, and that includes the select option. I like it. It is a looker.
  12. flyingAMT

flyingAMT New Member

I bought a Mosin 91/30 mail order from Aim Surplus in 2008 for $69 plus shipping and FFL charge plus a can of 880 rounds of 1970s surplus ammo. Best $220 I've ever spent. Not a bucket list thing, that was a AR15 for me, but the rifle is great fun and usually gets the most interest at the range. The surplus ammo is fine for plinking, but I found it difficult to hold a decent group with it at 100yds. Tried w/ and w/o the bayonet and the groups were terrible, nearly 1 foot diameter all over the place. I had some Wolf brand soft point non-corrosive primer stuff that did shoot much better, but of course cost more too. Remember, all the surplus ammo is corrosive primer, so clean the gun well ASAP after you use it. Mojo makes some "drop-in" ghost ring sites for the Mosin but they cost as much as the rifle ($70). I also bought an synthetic montecarlo stock, but had to remove it to shoot MBA (Military Bolt Action) with a friend, since the rifle was required to be in original condition. The synthetic stock is decent, but doesn't fit as well as I had hoped...The rifle is fine in stock condition, just wanted a more modern feel, and the rubber butt pad was a plus too. My BIL bought a Hex Receiver Mosin from the same company and had no problems either. Both guns had dark rifling at first, but after a few shots and cleanings, they are starting to brighten up. The Mosin is worth whatever you're willing to pay for it. $129 from a local shop doesn't sound far off to me, but $150 is pushing it. $100 is great deal at a gun show or local shop. With 17 million made, they should be around for a while, but for $100 why wait?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  13. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I bought an Izzy M38 and a boatload of ammo from a relative for $100. Best $100 I ever spent. A fair amount of elbow grease, tung oil, fine grit and fine steel wool, and the thing looks great and shoots even better. It's really handy and will take any critter in North America. Muzzle flash is spectacular, recoil is somewhat stout, but it is surprisingly accurate, even with crappy military ammo. Plus, there's a fair amount of aftermarket goodies to be had for it. Even at $129, you can't go wrong with a Mosin.
  14. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

I Bought a 1943 Izzy From C&R about a Year ago,,Nice rifle to mess around with and a vey good shooter Paid about 80.00 for it,,just make sue you do a proper clean up

Attached Files:

15. gandog56

gandog56 Member

Because Tula made less of them and was supposed to be a bit better quality. Same thing with hex receivers and round receivers, people prefer the hexes.