Mosin Nagant...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

CaliCollector
    (9/5/02 8:45:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Mosin Nagant...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    big-5 sporting goods where i live has MN's on sale quite frequently for around $50.00, usually romanian i think. i dont know alot about these rifles, different countries manufaturing them, or the quality of each country or variation. is $50 for a MN with 40% finish left on the exposed portions, decent wood, typical scrapes bumps and dings as most old rifles, with a dark barrel and strong rifleing worth it? or would i be paying more than its worth. i dont have a ffl or a crffl so i get to pay the extra that alot of you dont. i plan on buying one to refinish and use as a shooter, or a truck rifle in the mountains. so reliability and quality is fairly important to me. it will see hard use and abuse in my ownership. any suggestions and advice would be appreciated, thanks Ray in California

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/5/02 9:45:56 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Mosin Nagant...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I came home with two last Sunday since I don't have my C&R yet either. Got one that had all matching numbers and it wasn't all that bad.

$50 is about what you can expect to pay for them and isn't a bad price.

CaliCollector
    (9/5/02 11:17:14 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mosin Nagant...
    thank you TallTLynn. it looks like i will be going back to Big-5 soon and buying one of these rifles, the info is much appreciated. Ray in California

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/6/02 5:27:57 am)
    That is a pretty good price on the retail market. Obviously this store chain buys them in large lots to keep the price down. From reports I have heard, they normally advertise what they have as Romanian, but they can be Hungarian, Polish, or Russian. Rumor has it that they will be getting in a batch of Polish ones soon.

We don't have any Big 5 stores here in Missouri (at least not around St. Louis) and I really envy you guys. Even with a C&R license, I am buying a pig-in-the-poke from the distributors. At least you guys can go in and browse through them looking for just the right markings, etc.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

CaliCollector
    (9/6/02 6:10:22 am)
    Bob-
    thank you for your info, Big-5 is kinda nice as far as being able to go look at and hold what they carry and inspect it all BEFORE laying out any money, if you know what your looking at.. me im still learning, couldnt tell you a russian MN from a polish MN, im one of those guys who just checks the bore, trigger (when i can get them to remove the trigger lock,wich is rare at Big-5), and cycles the bolt a few times. other than that, if it looks good, i buy it, if it rattles worse then an old 1911 then i leave it. LOTS to learn about all these ww1 and ww2 rifles, but they are interesting peices of history with alot of life and service left in them. least now i know that for $50.00 i wont be getting hurt too bad.. even if they are from century, ive read you folks bad mouthing century and the crap they try and pass off as a weapon enough to be very leary of ANYTHING that came from them. whos got the best deal on ammo for MNs right now? thanks again Bob .
    Ray in California

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 8:44:37 am)
    $50 is about right for a Mosin Nagant. I haven't seen them cheaper than that, and if I had, I probably wouldn't want to buy it unless I could THOROUGHLY check it out.

As for good ammo deals, I think Aim Surplus has one of the best deals right now. They have Russian, Hungarian, and Yugoslavian ammo for $1.50 per box of 15. $0.10 per round, and it's cheaper if you buy in bulk. And I've heard good things about the Yugoslavian stuff.
    Sie lesen deine Gedanken, und bohren in dein Gehirn. Feind hört mit....

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/6/02 1:43:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mosin Nagant
    $50 for a Mosin isn't bad at all on a retail level. Warning though - if you get caught up in the Mosin Nagants, there's countless variations of them, with prices all over the board. There's M91s with and without Finnish SA stamps, M91s rebarreled by the Finns, M91/24s, M28s, M28/30s, M27s, M38s, M39s, M44s, Chinese Type 53s - and then there's all sorts of sub-variations. Values are all over the place, especially with Finnish models. There's some out there worth several hundred dollars - to the right people.

Getting back to the $50 Mosin - that's not that much over dealer cost, and you can more than likely make it back if you don't like it. Maybe even make a small profit on it as well.

One place with a lot of info (especially on the Finns) is www.mosin-nagant.net. Check it out if you're interested.

RobC in Missouri

CaliCollector
    (9/6/02 10:36:50 pm)
    thank you all for your help, i appreciate it greatly, so good to find a place where the members are as knowledgable as friendly. now if i can just find some drawings and parts for my Model 30 pump, id be good to go. Ray in California

wsmc667
    (10/14/02 12:26:41 am)
    i really need to stop reading the different section of this forum.

=)

big 5 huh...? there's one a mile from my house...