Mosin-Nagant

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Bioman, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Bioman

Bioman New Member

Purchased my first recently. Appeared to be unfired. I am at work and can’t recall where it was made or model, but I think it said Connecticut on it (as in USA), does that make any sense? Took out to range, started at 100 yards and could not place a single shot on target. Had someone spot and they noticed it was shooting around 2 foot high and around 8” to the left with the elevation at its lowest setting. This was on a calm day. Front site pin looks to be a bit bent. Tried it at 50 yards just to be sure it was not operator error and I had to aim around a foot and a half low to hit the target. Are there any adjustments I can do or is this one just a dog?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

My M-44 is like that, I had to put a low-relief scope on it. It's a really great gun now that it's sighted in, and it was dirt cheap. I also have a 91/30, but it's much more accurate and has no front sight problem like the other one.
  3. Maineman

Maineman New Member

Bioman don't give up on your MN both remington and westinghouse made them in the USA for the czar before he was overthrown. also they were sighted in for 300 meters. check out this site www,7.62x54.net you could have a real collectable rifle there. good luck maineman
  4. momo

momo Former Guest

Sound like you have a MN 91 that was made by Remington or Westinghouse. If it was sighted in for 300 meters, as Maineman said, that would probably explain the height discrepency. You might not want to do anything to it because these are highly collectable rifles, especially if it was unfired when you got it. How do the bore and stock look? Could you post some pictures?
  5. Bioman

Bioman New Member

Bore is clean and sharp. I'll try and post pcitures tonight. Thanks for all of the insights.
  6. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Remember that if it has a bayonet like the M-44 that originally sighting in was done with the bayonet extended. This affects point of impact.
  7. petesusn

petesusn New Member

My M-44 shoots much more accurately with the bayonet extended. I think that it may have been produced with this in mind.

“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.”
    Al Capone
  8. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Probably the importers stamp.
    Windage is adjusted drifting the front sight.
    To lower the point of impact, you have to raise the front sight. Auto parts store, get some automotive wiring heat shrink tubing, (your choice of colors). Slip a piece over the pin post, apply enough heat to make it hang on and trim to length. If you cut too much off, it's cheap.:)
    Post some pics of the markings!
  9. budman46

budman46 New Member

i like trap55's solution...i belong to these forums because you guys are a wealth of info.

my 44's shoot 5-6"patterns at 50 yds with the bayonet folded, but 1 1/2" groups with it deployed or removed and the point of impact shifted to the right quite a bit as i recall.

budman

budman
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

The Connecticut print is the importers "electropencil" stamp.
  11. phx gun owner

phx gun owner New Member

I bought my M-44 dated 1945 . Was never fired before i got it . All i did was clean it once and shot it . It works flawless every shot . Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you dont .

The good thing about those old russian rifles is you can do some work to them and make them work great if you need to . Plus they are so cheap . Cant beat the price .