Mosin Nagants in Illinois?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by DigitalRX, Aug 2, 2009.

1. DigitalRX

DigitalRX New Member

I just bought a 91/30 in what seems like very good condition, no pitting in the barrel, hasn't been counterbored, all the numbers match up, no rust etc. I just bought some ammo and some dummy ammo to test the cycling of the rifle before going shooting with it. I noticed that I have to put a very large amount of pressure on the bolt handle when I go to close it and seat the round under the extractor. Everything is well oiled, I haven't checked the headspace yet as I'm waiting for my order to arrive. Is this common with the 91/30? Or do I have one that still needs to be worn in more? It extracts well, there is just heavy resistance when I go to close the bolt on a round. It does this with both the dummy rounds and the live rounds.
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. DigitalRX

DigitalRX New Member

3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Have you cleaned the cosmoline? Most of them have it and should be cleaned, thoroughly. Another thing about old Russian rifles is that they can bind, this is because that where made by the millions and are generally rough.
  4. rfawkes

rfawkes New Member

My friends and I all have one or more of these. They all have a bolt that requires slapping around like a .... They were rough when made and will always be rough. But the important thing to remember is they will be shooting after you are gone.
  5. GoodOl'12gauge

GoodOl'12gauge New Member

My 91/30 is the same way. Its rough as hell and has never let me down. As long as it works it can be as rough as it wants.
  6. USMARINE1884

USMARINE1884 New Member

Some of the Mosin actions are tough my friend has one that you need to smack the the heck out of the open and close the bolt but it fires great and he hasn't had any issues. It was check by two gunsmiths both giving him the ok.