The Firearms Forum banner

mosin sniper from AIM

923 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
buddy just got his via the BBT today. i looked at it on the way to work. WOW.. wood looks excelent for a 91/30 44 dated. I have one, bought years ago ( decade? ) and looks to be much worse.

question. his bolt is numbered to the rcvr. not forced matched either. stamped. it came in a seperate bag.. and I swear the bolt looks brand new. not just clean.. but perfect.

does aim rebuild the bolts?

anyway. it looks great. I'm glad he got it. i occasionally take mine to the range to shoot and he just has a type 53 boat oar to set with... pricey.. but he likes it.

I didn't have time to admire it much as I had to scoot along to work.. but must say i was impressed. Aim must have some good stuff. Can't recall the last time i have purchased from them.. as i do most of my crufflering thru local shows or range or local people selling pieces out of their collection.. etc.

#2 ·
AIM does sell good stuff. I do not know if they do any cleaning or rebuilding of anything. They usually have a pretty fair price on everything, too. I bought a stainless steel Bolt Carrier Group from them last month for $89.99 (or it looks SS to me). I have been buying from them for years, I do believe that the very first C&R item I bought was from them.

#3 ·
the gun had some cosmo residue on it.. but was not caked and dusty like most mn's i have seen. i mean. it had a thin film.. like it had a cursory cleaning. maybee not a full clean.. but it has been processed past just pulling it out of a ruskie shipping crate.

the bolt... spotless. may have had a bit of mineral spirits on it to prevent rust..,.. I'd have to say the bolt was either rebuilt.. or at least disassembled and cleaned. or perhaps soaked in a mineral spirits bath to remove all cosmo, and then polished. had nearry a spec of rust on it. and was bright. did not look sandblasted or tumbled though. it had strong crisp edges.. stampings looked authentic to the guns stampings.. i'm gonna guess the bolts were at least cleaned and polished,a nd the guns themselves givn a wipedown.

that's my guess anyway...

#4 ·
I few weeks ago I was over at my LGS. Right in the middle of the floor was a crate of 91/30's. The box was double stacked with rifles. There was one rifle missing from it and I think there were 23 left in the crate. I wasn't interested in them because I already have one but these were the prettiest 91/30's that I have ever seen. They looked like they had just come off the assembly line. The wood was perfect and the metal was perfect and there was not a drop of cosmoline on them. If I had not already had one, I would have bought one just because of how they looked.

#6 ·
hmm.. I wonder if we are nearing dwindling supplies of imported rifles.. and now the better ;holdouts' may be being turned loose?

did that last bill that 'O' signed prohibit even things like MN's coming in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.