Mossberg 144 LSB's

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Calfed, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Calfed

Calfed New Member

I have a Mossberg US 44 that I got from CMP. I was sufficiently impressed with it that I wanted a 144.

Recently nabbed a pair of 144 LSB's at an on-line auction. Of course, you never know until the BBT arrives, but these look almost new in the pics.

#1 looks great, but appears to be missing part of the sight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 also looks great and the description advises "Has Extra Sights", so I'm hoping that the "extra sights" are for a 144 and include the pieces missing from #1. There is a plastic bag tied to the gun in the pictures that presumably contain the sights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Neither came with a magazine, so I will need two. I'm wondering about the red caution sticky on the side of the rifles. Is that something that Mossberg put on there? Could that indicate that these are new or at least haven't been fired?

I've got two sons who are shooters..thinking these would make nice Christmas gifts.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Did you ask the seller ??

Nice Mossburgs.
  3. Calfed

Calfed New Member

The seller was one of those 500 gun auctions. There really is no one to ask about the history of an individual firearm at one of those. As my Dad used to say "you pays your money and you takes your chance"
  4. K75RT

K75RT Member

5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

As K75RT said above Havlin's know Mossberg's, if you need parts or have a question give them a call. But the 144LSB mags are usually out of stock. Watch eBay for them, they do show up there.

If you need sight parts, apertures or mounting screws give Joe a try here.
    http://www.aperturesnmore.com/

The Mossberg Information site.
    http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html

Those stickers were put there by Mossberg, I'm hoping they don't mess up the finish, they were on there a long time.

The 144LSB is the last of a long line of Mossberg target rifles, they were made from 1979 to 1985.

ETA: It looks like Havlin's have the mags in stock now.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Did you get better answers at RimfireCentral?

If I had known you would ask here and there and not return here I wouldn't have even replied to help you.

I'm not going to reply to anyone with one or two posts here again. Not worth the trouble.
  7. Calfed

Calfed New Member

Thanks, K75RT and GunHugger. I appreciate the feedback. I checked out the referenced links and looks like there is good information there.

I also spoke with Vic Havlin and ordered some magazines. The magazines arrived, but still haven't received the rifles. I sent some pics to Vic Havlin and asked about the stickers on those rifles. He advised as follows:

"Those are indeed factory stickers. Back in 1992 I bought 70 surplus rifles from Mossberg and they all came with those puppies, Vic"

I'll post better pics when the rifles actually arrive
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010