Mossberg .22s Anyone?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

The rear sight you have now is just the inside part of the S107 that is supposed to be there. It consisted of the metal mounting base, the inside sight piece that you have and a elevator bracket that slid up and down to raise or lower the sight. If you google Mossberg front sights and Mossberg rear sights, you will get 2 sites that show the various front and rear sights available back then. As mentioned, the sights are going for a high price on ebay right now. Around $50.00 for the front, 60-70 for the rear and 70-80 for the peep. Of course with any auction, it depends on the day.
  2. pilote

pilote New Member

i did think that rear was half of a 107 but whatever...those 1A or 101 front sight are pretty tough to find; i got lucky (and paid max $$$) when i saw one show up at auction...which is why i'm done picking up old mossbergs unless they have their original front and rear sights intact...i'm not into scoped rimfires at all...
  3. omgtkk1971

omgtkk1971 New Member

Well I'm not really concerned with original parts, but that's cool the piece I have was at least partially original. It's still really accurate, but its hard not to be with that tiny peep sight. I've seen in other posts some folks say that scopes seem to be less accurate or cause some problem vs the s-130 is that true because i am looking for something thats more secure and.......well complete and I was leaning toward a scope, but if it does work well I'd rather spend the money on orig. equipment. And wow thanks for the info you guys were rally dead on with a really obscure gun.
  4. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

It largely has a lot to do with your eyes. If you are getting older like me , then I reap the benefits of a scope. But, there is nothing wrong with using peep sights, especially if you have good eyes. But I am one that likes to keep my Mossbergs original so I have peep sights on them as well. Many of these old Mossbergs had the type of peep sight that swung off to the side so you could keep it on the gun even with a scope mounted.
  5. omgtkk1971

omgtkk1971 New Member

Well I wouldn't say good but I do like the old military style of the peep sights I've seen for the 146-b. Thanx for all the help!!!
  6. danisbox

danisbox New Member

I have a Mossberg 22-s-lr. Military 1946; Model 142-a
    New Haven, Conn. USA
    Bolt action military rifle with original clip.
    I was offered $300 but wasnt sure if that was a good deal or not?
    Thanks
    danisbox@hotmail.com

Administrator- I tried loading jpg images and received this message.
    "Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing or mismatched."
  7. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

A few holes here...

There is NOTHING "Military" about the Mossberg 142a other than it sort of has a military look to it.

And it wasn't made in 1946, the 142a was made from 1949 - 1957.

$300 would be a real good price to sell it for.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  8. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Take the $300.00.
  9. aircoffee

aircoffee New Member

10. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

11. Redhand

Redhand Active Member

It was the model 42 that was a lend-lease british trainer.
  12. Mach2

Mach2 New Member

I have a US44 Mossy that has the peep sight. It was a hand me down,
    When I was given the rifle My Dad and my cousin called the sight a deadmans sight. I was told that in WW2 the US44 was used in training here in the states due to not enough M1s being available for use. It was similar in weight to the M1. Dunno if any of this is true.

When I cleaned the gun in 2002 it had a ton of lead dust in the trigger group as if it had never been cleaned yet the accuracy was still amazing.
  13. buzz yooper

buzz yooper New Member

I have a quite rare 142M with T-bolt handle, in very good shape with all sights and trapdoor metal butt plate, that I could be talked into selling, and also a 340 m in very good shape.

ESCHULS@Carolina.rr.com
  14. HVance

HVance Member

These are two of mine: a 144LSB and a 146B. Each is complete. I also have a 146B project gun I've put back together with a scope (these eyes ain't so young no more); it has lost a lot of blu and has been dipped in varnish, but if it shoots straight I'll fix all that and make it pretty again.

Attached Files:

15. maj.irish

maj.irish New Member

I got this old one and I'm not sure on model because it is not marked with one but agter seeing some stuff online I think it is a model B w/ 2 piece bolt
    any info would be appreciated

Attached Files: