Mossberg .410 Cruiser

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Slimslam, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

I'm considering the Mossberg 500 Cruiser, .410 w/pistol grip for home defense. Apparantly the overall length of the firearm is less than 30 inches and is required to be registered as a "handgun". Is there a way to modify the firearm to avoid its "handgun" classification? Also, what type of .410 ammo is best for self-defense? Thanks.
    Slimslam :D
  2. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

How about a folding stock? I recommend #4 Buck.
    Mark
    P.S., do you have handgun registration where you live?
  3. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Good idea on the folding stock and thanks for ammo suggestion Mark.
    (Yes, I have handgun registration where I live.)
    slimslam
  4. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Many experts will tell you that pistol grips are mostly worthless on shotguns. I tend to agree. They look good but they make the gun difficult to shoot.

You should go with Mark's idea about a folding stock. Some folks prefer #2 shot for home defense with the .410 bore. The pellet count with #4 Buck is a bit low in the .410.
  5. mark_baron

mark_baron New Member

No. 4 Buck is 0.240", No. 2 Shot is 0.150" dia. so there will obviously be more shot in the smaller size. I don't have the counts handy.

The real question for shot size, etc. is availablity. Unless you are reloading yourself, the sizes above are not readly available in .410. You can get 000 or 00 Buck in .410 but you only get a few (3-5) pellets. Check out your supplies before you make a decision.

Also, .410 is not recommended for self defense per http://www.internetarmory.com/shotgun_ammo.htm
    they recommend a 20 gage minimum and #4 buck.

I use a 12 gauge pump, 18.5" bbl, with pistol grip, loaded with alternating #4 Buck and 00 Buck. (I guess I can't make up my mind, or I have all the bases covered). You can get any ammo combinations you want in 12 guage and the ammo prices are much cheaper than .410.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  6. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

I do have a Mossberg 500C 20 ga. The .410 is for my wife because of low recoil. Excellent suggestions and insight. I'll check ammo availability for sure. I figger the .410 is a bit more potent than a .22LR.
    slimslam
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

A .410 is "a bit more potent" than a .22LR? I'd say YES to that. :D

Mark is right about the availability of shot sizes in .410. My local gunshop never stocks anything larger than #6s.

You may have to go online to find a good home defense load.
  8. mad410

mad410 New Member

slimslam, your 410 cruiser does not have to be registered as a pistol.The federal law is - a shotgun must have a minimum barrel length of 18 inches and an overall minimum length of 26 inches. You are covered on both measurements. I own a 410 cruiser.They are alot of fun. You'll be amazed how accurate it will be with slugs. Have fun.
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Welcome Mad

Slimsam I believe Mad is right about the 18 inch barrel length. The only shotguns I know of with special permits or classifications other than a DD is a AOW/SBS
  10. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Well, sadly, Michigan Law requires it to be registered as a handgun. Now, if I can just find a shoulder rig to accommadate this Cruiser for proper concealment.....heheheee
    slimslam :cool:
  11. mad410

mad410 New Member

slimslam, today is your lucky day... look up stellarrigs.com. they have just what your looking for A SHOULDER RIG FOR A PISTOL GRIP SHOTGUN. THEY HAVE SOME NICE PHOTOS DEMONSTRATING HOW IT IS WORN. THEY ALSO HAVE ALOT OF OTHER COOL STUFF. LET ME KNOW IF YOU CHECK OUT THE SITE.
  12. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

mad410
    I did visit the stellarrigs.com site....purdy cool rigs. I need to get a Duster coat first. I ended up getting the Mossberg 20 ga Cruiser. I can carry it concealed legally since it had to be registered as a handgun in Michigan. I may still get a .410 down the road though...do you know a good source to get .410 ammo for self defense?
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Slimslam, if the 'boss' can handle that .410, she can, with a little practice, handle a 20, or 12 gauge shotgun. .410 ammo is pricey, by comparison to the bigger stuff, and less efective, by mass, alome
    Do yourself a favor, and buy a bigger gun!
    Shooting, for pratice, is cheap enough, and the rewards you will see are phenominal; get her stirred up, about a bigger shotgun, and just lay back, in the sunshine it will bring!
    My girls were almost 10, before I felt comfortable with them, behind an Ithaca M-37, in 12 gauge, but time has proved the worth of the ammo, and range time.
    I would, today, prefer them, over darned near anybody else, to cover my 'six', should the stuff get deep!
    I say this as a father, and a friend; teach them to shoot, and teach them the "hows", and "whys" to shoot, and you have built new friendship, to the sport; we need this, more than anything else!
  14. mad410

mad410 New Member

slimslam, winchester makes 410 buckshot loads in 410 and 20 gauge. the 410's come in 2 1/2" and 3". the 2 1/2 has 3 pelletsof ooo buckshot and the 3" has 5 pellets of ooo buckshot. both work excellent. Mike.
  15. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

stash247,
    True, very true as this will take time....solid advice...thanks. I did go for the 20 ga BTW..

mad410...I'll check Winchester online....thx
    slimslam
  16. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

17. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

IShootBack,
    Did not realize that about the .410...thanks. I still may get one down the road. Do you feel the Mossberg is a smart purchase?
  18. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Mossey makes a fine low cost shotgun for self defense or hunting.
  19. clmanges

clmanges New Member

There are also a couple of revolvers chambered for .410, and as a bonus, they'll also take .45 LC rounds. One I know of is called "Thunder 5," it's a snubby -- UGLIEST thing I've ever seen, and its effective range is only about 20 ft. Don't bother to aim, whatever is in front of you will get something.
    The other gun has a longer barrel, maybe 6", much nicer looking (if that matters) with more range. I don't know who makes it. Do a web search for ".410 revolver" and it'll turn up.