The Firearms Forum banner

Mossberg 46B(a)

6K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  JCF 
#1 ·
I am looking for a dust cover for my 46B(a) Bolt and am not particular about its condition. Does anyone have any advice for where I might locate a "Dust Cover w/screws" for my 46B(a) bolt?

Thanks,

John

#2 ·
Havlin Sales.

Ebay

Good luck, you will need it.

#3 ·
The 46Ba uses a R209 Bolt

Here's a list of models that use the same bolt;
R209 45B, 46B, 46B(a), 46B(b), 46M, 46M(a), 46M(b)

I'm not positive if dust covers from other bolts will work, but I think they will.

Here's one on ebay;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOSSBERG-46B-46-B-BOLT-DUST-COVER-AND-SCREWS-MORE-PARTS-LISTED-/291037039281

Here's a link to everything Vintage Mossberg if you don't have it.
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html

Havlin's doesn't show one in stock, but I would call or email because they don't always keep their website up to date with inventory. They might have one.
http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm

I have one, but I'm keeping it. Had to remove it to mount a scope using a Havlin's Mossberg scope mount. If I ever remove the scope mount I'll put it back on.

Or forget the dust cover and buy a scope mount from Havlins and put a scope on it.

Mount is only $22.50 and the dust cover has to be removed to use it. Yours is already removed.:D

#4 ·
Please prove me wrong...

I just noticed you have ONE post here.

That usually means I just wasted my time since most ask a question and never return.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I recently purchased the scope mount from Havlins, have it attached, and it functions great. I simply want to have an original dust cover for restoration purposes.

So, does this mean that I didn't waste your time?

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice. I recently purchased the scope mount from Havlins, have it attached, and it functions great. I simply want to have an original dust cover for restoration purposes.

So, does this mean that I didn't waste your time?
Thank you!

Many times I have offered help to people with one post and they didn't return. Maybe they didn't like my reply. :bleh:

Good that you did, happy to help.

You could try asking over at the Mossberg forum on RFC. Guys over there have them, if they are in the right mood they might even sell you one.

What? You didn't like the one for $40 I posted above? :D

Edit to add:
Oops, I just noticed it ended, thought it was still on. Sorry - my mistake.

#7 ·
Thank you!

Many times I have offered help to people with one post and they didn't return. Maybe they didn't like my reply. :bleh:

Good that you did, happy to help.

You could try asking over at the Mossberg forum on RFC. Guys over there have them, if they are in the right mood they might even sell you one.

What? You didn't like the one for $40 I posted above? :D

Edit to add:
Oops, I just noticed it ended, thought it was still on. Sorry - my mistake.
:thumbsup: I sure did...another beautiful rifle.

#9 ·
GunHugger,thats one purty Mossberg.One of the nicest I've seen.Do you shoot it? I'd be afraid to if it was mine cause I know I would somehow scratch it.But I know I'd have to shoot it some to truly enjoy it.The woodgrain at the handle tops it off.I'm green with envy. Joe

#10 ·
GunHugger,thats one purty Mossberg.One of the nicest I've seen.Do you shoot it? I'd be afraid to if it was mine cause I know I would somehow scratch it.But I know I'd have to shoot it some to truly enjoy it.The woodgrain at the handle tops it off.I'm green with envy. Joe
Thank you Joe.

Yes, I do shoot it and it's real accurate. It wasn't shot very much before I owned it judging from the wear on the bolt and other parts that will show wear.

The thing with these vintage Mossbergs is the fact that Mossberg used plain grain and fancy grain on their guns. They didn't sort it or charge more for the nice ones. I have a few more with real nice wood. Sadly they finished them all to sort of look the same, a dark reddish colored stain/finish that covered up the nice as well as the plain wood stocks.

Some of the figure in this one did show through the original finish. When I stripped off the old finish I was happy with what I found.

Someone before me clamped the forearm in a shop vice so hard that it left jaw marks about 1/32" in to the wood! It took a lot of work to make it right again.

I refinished this one a few times until I was (sort of) happy with it. It has about 8 coats of lacquer and was hand polished between coats. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I wish it didn't have so much shine.

Well now I have an excuse to post a few more pictures of it, these are before I mounted a vintage all steel Weaver V12 on it. Some were taken in the sun, that really brings the grain to life. And it changes at different angles as you look at it so it never looks the same.

#11 ·
#12 ·
Thanks for the pics GunHugger.I don't think it's too glossy.It looks like a Browning type finish to me and fits the gun well. Joe

#13 ·
I will try to make this short as possible.About 6-7yrs ago I was at a gun show looking for used .22's.I didn't find much until I went by a very small table in the corner.He had only a few guns but had other stuff mostly junk.He had a few .22's.At that time I knew absolutely nothing about Mossberg target rifles.Had never seen one.One gun I was looking at was a Mossberg target rifle that was marked U.S. Gov't or something like that.I don't remember the model#.It had 2 empty screw holes on the left side where something went but I didn't know what nor did he.Also the peep site was missing a part or 2 and had 2 empty holes for the safetyy indication.This missing stuff worried me (as I said,I knew nothing about Mossbergs then).He saw I was not that interested which I guess is why he dropped the price from $300 to $175.I had NO IDEA what I had in my hands.I passed on it and bought A Rem 552 and a Romanian 69 from him.Time passed and one day I saw the gun somewhere on-line.I did some research and realized the gun I diidn't buy was a 44US.I also found out the holes were only holes for a scope mount and the missing parrts were simple and available (like the red and green safety buttons).I found a forum that had a huge Mossberg following.I quickly realized what I had passed on a few years earlier.Now I know much more about the Mossberg target rifles but I will never again have a chance to gett one for $175.I would really like to own one but I can't afford to buy one now.I'm sure others have stories of guns they should have bought.Sorry for the long post and stealing the thread. GunHugger's pictures just brought up the memory of what I let slip through my fingers. Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.