Mossberg 46B Range Reports

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Jack Ryan, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Any one with these rifles ever sit at a bench with a good rest and test one of these rifles for a group? I've read on several boards how they have a reputation for accuracy but I've not seen any shot for groups sizes?

I just got my own set up with a scope but it was cold and windy here today so I didn't take it out to the bench rest but just seat of the pants it feels pretty good. Soon as I get some decent weather I'll try it out with a few different types of ammo.
  2. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

There is a pretty good forum at Rimfire-Central on the Mossberg thread. Lots of real friends of the old Mossy's there. I have an old 44B w/Lyman Field 438 scope that dates back to the mid to late '40s. Hadn't shot it since the 60's. After reading a few of the threads, I took it out to the range a few weeks ago. I had a blast and everyone around me wanted to know what in the H*** was I shooting? No one there old enough to remember the old Mossbergs. Even won a couple little indoor matches with it while I was in the service. It has a really quality peep sight on it that came with the rifle. Bought it off a fellow i worked with one summer in '63 or '64 for $20 I think.
  3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan New Member

Thanks. I've read most of the threads on them there at RFC but it's blocked at work. Some how this one slips through their gun-a-phobic firewall.
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Thanks for the reminder,
    I need to dig out my 46Bb and kill some paper plates. I love it because it has the feel of a larger rifle but is accurate as all get out.

Again, thanks for the memory boost.
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

I'm in the middle of restoring an old Mossy, it's a 142A that was left in a garage at the Jersey seashore, so you can imagine the rust damage.....:eek:

I've managed to save everything except the bolt and handle, so if anybody here knows someone that might have one for sale, please let me know. I regularly check both Havlin's and Numrich, but they do not have them....:(

For those of you that have old Mossy's and enjoy shooting them, you should check out the new forum created over at RFC, it's called SuperStock Bolt, it was modled after the SuperStock semi auto forum by those guys, but is specifically for bolt action rifles. They have two general classifications, "Sporter" and "Varmit", plus a few games have been started that are fun to compete in.
    For those of you with iron sights and peep sights, I started an "Irons Only" game that requires you to shoot 4 - 5 round groups on the same target plus 4 measuring shots. The measuring shots are measured with calipers, then averaged out, then you measure your groups from outside to outside, subtract the average, and this gives you a center to center measurement for each group, get 3 of the 4 groups in at or under 3/4" (.750") and you get your name posted in the winners list. It's all for fun, and a great bunch of guys there who will cheer you on every step of the way......