Mossberg 495T Bolt action 12Ga

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jdubb, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

One of my other guns that I acquired in non-working order, bolt stuck, been sitting forever etc.. Anyways same procedure, dis assemble, clean, clean, clean.... clean, re assemble. Finally go to shoot the thing for the first time. Gun functions perfectly it seems, feeds from the mag onto the bolt and into the chamber etc.. but then! Bolt does not want to close & lock with a round chambered. (it otherwise will close and lock when no shell is loaded) I then tried a few different shells and with two of them got the bolt to lock, so I fired the two, gun shoots great.

Now this first test was with a box of Winchester Universal target/game loads.. not the most expensive load someone could buy, and for the record I didnt buy it, it was given to me to test with the gun because I didn't have any other 12ga shells at the time.

Next I got a box of Winchester super X, all of the shells from this box will allow the bolt to lock, but it is TIGHT!

Today I got a box of Remington gun club trap ammo and these shells will load up and lock, still seems a bit tight but effort is not required to lock the bolt.. as with the Winchester shells.

Now all I am using as of now is target loads, don't have any plans or provisions to go hunting with this rifle as of now.. and based on the prices of these different boxes I started at the bottom and worked up.. I am leaning towards the cheaper loads not seating properly in the gun? I'm not really savvy on the best/better types of ammunition to use, I used to shoot trap frequently and used federal loads and they worked well but that was in new guns.. not sure If I want to keep trying different boxes of ammo at this point, I don't want a stock pile of ammo to not be able to use it, since this is the only 12Ga I have at the moment.

Also, please note that while cleaning I did NOT dis assemble the bolt in any way, I cleaned it out thoroughly aside from tearing it down and did not feel the need to go farther than that. It is possible that someone else had it tore apart before me though, this could be why an otherwise perfectly working gun has been sitting for so many years?

Again thanks for having this great site, and I appreciate any help/comments/concerns you may have.
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

They are chambered for 2 3/4" and/or 3" shells, are you trying to load shells that are longer?
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  3. Jdubb

Jdubb New Member

No, all shells i have used are 2-3/4
  4. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I have owned a few of these shotguns but at this time I don't have one around to look at for ideas to help you further.

But, I think you might find the answer if you gave Vic Havlin a call. He sells Mossberg parts, 22 and shotgun and he actually wrote the book about Mossberg 22's. He knows more about them than anyone else.

He will talk with you and try to figure out the solution, a great guy always willing to help.

(636) 937-6401
    Mon-Thur 9AM-5PM Central

A link to his website;
    http://www.havlinsales.com/