Mossberg 500A barrel questions.

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JD Powell, Jan 12, 2012.

1. JD Powell

JD Powell New Member

Hey folks,
    New member here. Looking for some feedback on the Mossberg muzzel loader barrel conversion. Mainly wondering what they go for used? I have been researching them for a while. Planning on either buying a used one, or trading for it. I have a like new 24" smothbore "Slugster" barrel 12ga, 2 3/4 & 3". Ported barrel w/rifle sights. That I would be willing to swap.

I do understand it will require full dissasembly and cleaning to remove the BP residue. This is not a problem for me.

I also understand that it will still look like a Mossy500, so it may spark conversation with local F&G officials. This is also not a problem.

I realize for not much more money I could buy a dedicated muzzeloader. But I only intend to use this for ML hunting seasons, and space in my cabinet is already at a premium.

Were there any known model changes made to these? Did any of them come with a removable breech plug?

Any problems/defects to be aware of?

Really would like to hear thoughts/concerns from those that have this barrel.