mossberg 500as not acting right

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by oldmedik, Dec 27, 2011.

1. oldmedik

oldmedik New Member

hi guys i picked up a mossberg 500as with24 inch ported barrel and removable chokes. the problem is every now and then, it doesnt want to let you chamber a new round after firing. no regular pattern, just when it decides. you have to really pump it, to get it to work, then it ejects empty, and fresh shell. any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

cartridge stop is not fully moving away from the rim of the next shell. If you action the gun upside down while looking through the loading port, you could probably see which one is not moving enough.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. oldmedik

oldmedik New Member

thank you sir, i will look at this. is it possible for one of them to b upside down, i did a complete teardown and clean prior to shooting it. may have gotten dyslexic for amoment.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Nope, they only go in one way. The one that is causing the issues is the thicker flat one that has no pivot pin.
  5. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I think Helix is dead on. I recently had a friend have the same issue. When unloading or shooting several, it would eject the fresh round out of the bottom after ejecting the spent hull. I thought this was the problem and advised him to order a new set of bars. They arent very expensive(maybe $12 if I remember right. My memory is bad though.) He called mossberg and told them the issue. They asked for his serial number and then his address. A week or two later he had a new set, free of charge. We have been out shooting since with no issues.

Helix, I'm having a problem with my old revalation. Havent looked at it yet, so it may be simple, but after I shoot the first round When I pull the trigger on the next I hear a click and no boom. I have found that messing with the safety seems to release somethin and I hear another, quieter click. It's been a long time since I took it apart and looked at the mechanics of it, but is the "hammer" somehow getting stuck on the bottom of the safety? How would it even do this?
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011