The Firearms Forum banner

Mossberg 500E 410.....Open the Choke???

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  goofy 
#1 ·
I have this Mossberg 500E 410 I purchased 30 years ago when I was feeling cocky. During dove season I was limiting out in the first hour and wanted to make it more difficult. Oh the vigor of youth. It hasn't had 2 full boxes of shells through it in it's entire life and I'd like to start using it from time to time. As it has a 25"ish barrel with a full choke I'm thinking I'd like to open it up a bit. My thoughts are either a Mod or IC choke. I'd appreciate your opinion(s) on the matter. I tried to find a new barrel on line but couldn't find anything for that specific model. If there's something I could get my hands on out there that would fit, possibly a newer model's barrel would work, that would be my first choice. If not, looks like I'm headed off to the gunsmith for a little rework.

Thanks

#4 ·
Mike, I had my 20ga. model 1100 changed to screw in chokes a few years back, the barrel was not cut. The vent rib would have been "modified" and it came back exactly as it was; why would this Mossberg be any different? If it makes any difference, the 1100 was a modified choke originally.

#5 ·
He said his was a full choke. In most cases I have found that if you want to "open" it back up you would have to cut back the barrel far enough to get past the "full" choke.
It also has to be wide enough for the chokes to fit and do there job.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.