Mossberg 640K Chuckster .22 Magnum

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by gmirsky, Dec 24, 2006.

1. gmirsky

gmirsky New Member

I just inherited a .22 Magnum Mossberg 640K Chuckster (Pre-1968 GCA -- No Serial Number). I managed to locate some Savage magazines that with a little modification I got fit and function.

Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this rifle?

I just need to do a final breakdown and cleaning before I head out to the range. The original scope was "Kaput" so I am looking for some good recommendations for a scope and Weaver style rings for my "Chuckster".

Is there anything that I should be wary of with this rifle? It looks solid and well balanced. I never shot a .22 magnum before. My only experience is with .22 LR and .30 caliber center fire. Is the kick much more than a .22 LR as I have been told it is or was I sold a bill of goods?
  2. ken w.

ken w. Member

This is one of the most accurate .22 MAG rifles made.The triggers are kinda crappy tho.You have to be real careful what solvent you use on this gun.Some will melt the triggerguard and the reciever cap.Brake parts cleaner is one you want to stay away from.I had to learn the hard way.The kick is no more than a .22 LR. It's a tad louder tho.I have found that scopes are a bit of a hassle as far as fiting on the scope grooves.I wear glasses and had to get an off set ring set to get the scope back far enough to get the correct eye releaf.You have a fine rifle that will shoot well.
  3. gmirsky

gmirsky New Member

For anyone interested the magazines that fit the Savage models 4M, 34M, 65M, 93, 93R17, Striker and 982MDL will fit the Mossberg 640K but be prepared to open up the guide lips of the magazine channel a bit. I used a flat head screw driver to do the job. Also be prepared to grind down the magazine guide bar with a dremel tool. It took me all of 15 minutes to make 3 different magazines from different lots of Savage magazines fit my rifle. So it is not that hard to do.
  4. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

tho' I have not had the pleasure of having one, the mossy allways seems to get rave reviews, especially in the accuracy dept. most folks seem to want to hang on to them, and you don't see them come up much for sale.
  5. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

:D Most info you might need you can find at Damguys site. http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html he covers most questions on Mossbergs. The one problem you will encounter is the location of the scope rings. you will notice the rear ring has very little area to mt behind the port.You will not be able to get your scope rearward enough to be comfortable shooting. THE ONLY fix is the BKL offset rings. (I used the #274) these will allow the mounting of most scopes to a usable position. This is a curse of the latter mossberg 300/600 series design. Along with the crappy trigger. the trigger can be worked. Although I have a 640 that will shoot 3/8" at a100yds if i do my part with the original trigger,About 6#s at least.I got my 340 below 3# so Guess I'm gonna work on the 640 this winter. You inherited what will become one of your favorite rifles, enjoy.--JMJ--AKA-- :D Jim the Mossberg Junkie :D
  6. gmirsky

gmirsky New Member

Thanks for the scope mount hints!

Any place on the net that has information on how to work on the trigger? It seems that this would be one of the bigger bangs for my time, energy and money on this project.

Greg
  7. j_m_ru

j_m_ru New Member

I just bought Mossberg 640K in 22MAG. Nice gun, but it misses rear site. It has see through rings with scope, but I would like to have rear site anyway. Any idea where I can get rear site?
    Thanks.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  8. whip

whip New Member

I had a 640K Chuckster and it was a tack driver. My one warning would be to not work the bolt really hard on the cocking stroke. I broke the plastic block at the rear of the rifle and the little metal piece that covers the back of the bolt fell down and the next round I bent the metal piece off. Gun still shoots well just doesn't look the greatest.
  9. Mdel19man

Mdel19man New Member

There is one thing to be wary about with this rifle. When you disassemble it, there is a small washer at the base of the guide for the magazine. Be extremely careful not to lose it as I did. The washer will affect the feeding of the magazine. I ended up have to fabricate my own. Other than that it is one of the most accurate guns I own. The kick is nothing to be concerned about.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  10. the3pete

the3pete New Member

www.havlinsales.com
  11. whip

whip New Member

I will second working the bolt easy. I also chipped the plastic block at the rear of the action and also broke off the metal clip that covers the hole. Mine was a tack driver and I used a weaver style .22 mount on the rails. I have regretted selling it but at the time I needed the money. Have fun with it.
  12. DaveLikesTrucks

DaveLikesTrucks New Member

I acquired a Mossberg 640K that is not working properly. Previous owner gave me the small washer he found at the time it stopped working. Clearly the one indicated above.

Without taking things apart, I can't see where it fits. Could someone help me out with a description or picture of how it is supposed to fit?

I'm guessing I need to remove the stock and then I'll be able to access the location of the washer. Please help.

Also, will the metal trigger guard from older models fit on this model?

Thanks.
  13. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Man oh man where do all you people find these nice old Mossy's? :confused: Only ones I have seen are crap that have been badly cared for or chopped up. :eek:

Some of the old Mossbergs can out shoot very expensive modern target guns with ease. My 142A even came with an adjustable trigger and will do a single hole at 25 yards with good ammo. :D
  14. millman

millman New Member

I have a 640 KD Chuckster. I love it. I went ahead and D&T'd it, so no more scope mounting problems.

Millman
  15. Iceburgh

Iceburgh New Member

My wife just got me a 640K for my birthday. Other than a scratch on the stock, it looks like new. I can't wait to go out tomorrow and try it out. It is supposed to be about 20 degrees, but I'm not waiting for spring.
  16. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Good deal, Iceburgh! Welcome to The Firearms Forum. We all hope you stick around for a while.
  17. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

They also made a 640M . "mannlicher stocked version." very hard to find and $500 + bucks when ya do find one. I made my own.[​IMG] this has the sweetest balance and shoots great.;)--JMJ-- ** there's one on ********* now for sale
  18. rxrivera

rxrivera New Member

I've got a couple of 640's that need new stocks. Does anyone know where I might find a stock for a Mossberg 640K?
  19. Waldo Pepper

Waldo Pepper New Member

Unfortunately nothing available but to find used original, or custom stock that could really set you back. However if you keep and eye on the auctions you might find a nice used or refurnish-able used stock. Good luck.
  20. AWolf

AWolf New Member

My Dad has a very nice Chuckster (what a cool name by the way!) that thing is a scary tack driver .....even if you shoot cross eyed!!

i wonder if you give the specs to someone like STOCKYS out of of MICHELE SD if they can make one of those nice lamanated stocks for one .....i have one for my SAVAGE .17 it really dressed it up and helped the balance with that hevy bull barel it has