Mossberg 640KD accuracy questions

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by accident, Feb 11, 2011.

1. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a Mossberg 640Kd .22WMR Chuckster that I can't seem to get better than 2.5" groups.I've heard the 640 mag with it's AC-KRO-GRUV barrel is capable of better.I'm thinking (hoping) I just haven't found the ammo it likes.I know rimfires can be picky about what there fed.So far I've tried Winchester,Win Super-x,CCI maxi-mags,and m/mag +V.Varying FMJ,HP and different bullet weights.None do too much better than the other.(no 1" groups I'd like).Midway lists a Federal target .22 mag I'd like to try.Has anyone run across this maybe also with the same gun or other?What ammo would you suggest I try?My barrel appears in VGC after cleaning but could there be something with the gun I'm missing?Am I expecting too much out of the gun?Any help or opinions would be appreciated. THANKS Joe
  2. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

You said 2.5" groups but you didn't say at what distance.

I have a 640, it's shoots a little better than that at 100 yards but not much better. Around 1.5" @ 100 on average.

I also have a Ruger that shoots about the same.

And I have heard people say their 22Mag rifles shoot much better but it hasn't been my experience with them. One inch at 100 is about the best mine have ever done.

A few things...

Have you given the bore a good cleaning with a brass brush and a good bore cleaner? I'm not talking about a Bore Snake.

I don't clean my rimfires often since they like a fouled bore. But once in a while and always if I buy a used one.

After a good bore cleaning it will take some shooting for them to settle in again.

Scope...is it a quality scope with enough power to shoot a good group?

Are you shooting from a solid bench with a front rest and rear sand bag?

No need to answer those questions here, just in your head.

Here's mine with a 6-18 power scope, and a decent trigger job. That green grass looks better than the rifle about now.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  3. accident

Thanks GunHugger.The distance is 45yds.My backyard is not quite long enough for 50.I won't answer all the questions but I'm using a adj. front rest on bench.After shooting the Mossberg,I can set it down,pick up my CZ452 and put 5 rds on a 1" dot.They won't all be 1 hole but much better than the Mossberg.Thats a nice one you have.My scope is also a "cheap" scope.I also think the parralax is set at 100yds rather than 5oyds.My trigger is original and leaves a little to be desired.I'm not an expert shot by any means,I guess all these things combined could be reason enough for poor results.What shoots best in your gun and what did the trigger work entail if you don't mind me asking? Joe
  4. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Trade the mossy for a Marlin XT22 in .22WMR, you should get under 1/2" at that range, and 1" at 100 yards,
    if you do your part :)
  5. GunHugger

Scope could be your biggest problem. 100 yard parralax scope shooting at 45 yards requires repeatable cheek weld. What power is it?

And the trigger on the 300 and 600 series of Mossbergs isn't very good as it left the factory.

Mine seems to shoot all that I tried about the same as far as group size, the point of impact changes some.

The trigger...that not easy to explain. It's not your "normal" rimfire trigger setup. But in a nutshell, it requires getting rid of the movement and creep and polishing up mating surfaces. It's a pain and the end results aren't exactly a target trigger, but I did improve mine some.

I posted a disassembly guide for the 640 here. If you need to have a look at that let me know and I'll find the post.

I found it, here's the link.
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=33042&highlight=chuckster
  6. GunHugger

The answer isn't always buy a Marlin Big S. ;):)

I own my share of Marlin's and I love them too.

But I own a few other brands that will out shoot any of my Marlin's. Two are Mossberg's and one is a Remington.

I wish we lived closer...:D
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I had that exact same model about 8 years ago joe. It shot best with Hornady 30 gr Vmax. A close second was Federal win mag 30 gr TNT HP. Would regularly get 1 inch groups at 100 yds, and this was back before I really got serious about shooting and began to hone my skill...
  8. accident

Thanks GunHugger for responce and excellent link.I like you think that first a decent quality higher power scope (mine is 3x9)or at least proper parallax should be first.The trigger would be next,I'll call my gunsmith as it sounds like more than I should tackle myself.It's too nice a gun to get rid of.Besides,I like the idea of improving an older gun rather than trading for a new one even though i'll end up with more $ in it than it is worth.I looked for a long time before I found this Mossy and I like it.Thanks again GunHugger you've been of great help. Joe
  9. accident

Thanks JLA too.I've seen those v-max .22wmr advertised.I'm going to order a couple hundred rounds and see how they work in it. Thanks again,Joe
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

PM me your mailbox, I have a few boxes ill give you, I dont even have a .22 mag anymore...
  11. GunHugger

Darn nice thing to do JLA.

[​IMG]
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

^^^ and thats a darn nutty thing to do^^^ :eek:
  13. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

It's a shame, but they don't make a true match ammo for the 22 mag, you just have to try every different one out there and settle for what shoots best.

I agree, the first thing to replace is the scope. One of the best deals and scopes for the money is the Mueller APV. It's around $130. delivered, but is the best scope for the money.
    It's a 4 X 14 X 40 AO scope. 1" tube. I have a couple on some 22's that I have and have shot some darn good groups with that scope. It also has a lifetime warrenty. Break it and they just send you a new one.

It's so darn hard to get in the same position every time when the parellex is off. I bet your groups really improve with an AO scope.

The trigger will be a big help also. Have the gunsmith check the barrel crown for damage also. Some are bad from the factory, so get damaged from other things, but a bad crown will hurt groups also.

Gunhugger, nice looking rifle !!!

My Best, John K
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011