Mossberg 800

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 300 H&H, Sep 23, 2009.

1. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

These rifles are centerfire in calibers 22/250, 243, 308 and a handfull in 222. Made from 1966-78. I have been looking for one, but before I buy one, I was wondering if anyone here has had experiance with these. They only seem to come up for sale occasionally, as I don't think that they made very many of them. The 788 Remington was probably most responcible for this, as it was lower in price. By the way, it was not long after the Mossberg rifle left the market place, Remington dropped the 788. Wonder why? From the little I have been able to find out about the Mossberg, one guy says they like full power loads, and are very accurate for the price they were sold at.
    Thank you for your time,

Kirk
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

I have a buddy with a 800M in .308 It is a tackdriver with 150s.
    He paid a premium and I have offered a premium over his. Have for almost a decade. The answer comes without malice and quick....No!!

I missed a super grade a few years back, I have no doubt that that early guns will shoot, I have shot three different ones over time, not one was disappointing.

I have heard the varmit in .222 is top flight for smoking small creatures/targets. I have never seen one come up for sale.
    If you have a line on one-buy it.

They don`t bring great money except in certain flavors.
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

TOOHSOTKIL,

Ever heard of Louis Seecamp? (hint; hide out pistols)He was the designer of the 800, sold it to Mongomery Ward''s and Mossberg built it as "Western Field". Mossberg ended up making it as their own. Ever heard of Pedersen Guns? Custom gun builders from the late 70's early 80's. They used the 800 action in a rifle they charged $700+ for back in the late 70's. Those guys must have thought very well of this rifle. Thanks for your information.:)

Regards, Kirk
  4. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Kirk,
    I am to the Remington 788 like you are to the Mossberg 800. The story that I heard at the time regarding the demise of the Remington 788 was that it was doing its entry level inexpensive centerfire rifle position in the Remington rifle product lineup perhaps a bit too well. It was said that after a while the 788 price vs. accuracy performance was taking away way too many potential Remington 700 sales. Plus, for some reason the nine locking lug design of the 788 was supposedly becoming increasingly costly to manufacture and finish out as compared to the 700. The Remington 788 was discontinued in 1983 and then the Remington Sportsman 78 based on a stripped down 700 design was introduced in 1984. The dual locking lug 78 while rather Spartanly nice did not fill the 788 niche market and ultimately failed.
  5. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

I have a 243 that's my coyote gun. Well made rifle and shoots great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Skipper

Skipper Active Member

I had a Mossberg 800 in 308 back in the late 70's. I never should have sold it.
    All I did was to glass the barrel channel and free float it.
    With 42 gns 4320 under the Sierra 168 it would shoot under a dime at 100 yds.
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

GunHugger,

Wow thanks for your post and the pictures! This is really firing me up for a hunt, a gun hunt that is! My ultimate would be a 22/250 varmint, or in Mossberg lingo a 800CVT. It may take a while, as they are around, but not for sale....at least I think. And thanks Skipper, sounds like you miss yours, and that is a good sign I think.

Regards, Kirk

PS a Mannlicher in 243 would go with the 22/250 very well!
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  8. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

A 22/250 Varmint showed up on brandx last year...at exactly the wrong time. I didn't have any gun money since there was a gun show here the weekend before.:D I don't remember what it went for.

I've been looking for one for a few years.
  9. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

GunHugger,

I have been reading the 1966-67-68 Gun Digests. In them they talk about the Mossberg rifle, and it was a rather scathing review in 66, mainly attacking the appearance of the stock and checkering. In the next two years it is talked about briefly, but as of yet I have not read about them having shot one for accuracy. O.F. Mossberg and son did not seem to have much repore with John Amber, editor of Gun Digest, it would seem. The 1966 artical would have been some what damaging to the sales of the rifle. Funny, when the Remington 788 came out, Amber spent alot of time and space discribing and SHOOTING it with different loads ect. Nothing like that for the Mossberg 800. I suppose as much as I like these old Gun Digest books, & John Amber as editor, He had his favorites, and Mossberg was not his cup of tea. He did however priase the metal work and the action, except he states the action is not an "expencive" looking action. Just wish he would have taken the time to have shot one.

Thanks, Kirk
  10. *LIKTOSHOOT*

*LIKTOSHOOT* New Member

You will find many folks are hung at some point by a gun. Sometimes it`s the first one they shoot and no other is equal. This is the other side of bias. Sometimes folks stroke a rifle and have never done much, maybe never even shooting it. And some have never shot what they compare it against, or spread some others view. Sometimes folks choose their favorite over the logical.

It is here and not just for gun rag stories writers. This is where Savage stayed for decades, not pretty, not expensive, but shoot like a house-a-fire.
    I find military arms in the bigger NATO 7.62x51 have the most bias following.
  11. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

The retail market place is not a very "kind" place I suppose. And in the end, I think that sometimes products that fail or sell poorly may actually be something quite good. The 788 Remington was undoubtedly a huge success for Remington. For Mossberg it was most likely the rifle that put them out of the centerfire business, as they had priced theirs to be sell less expensively than a 700 Remington. Then along came the 788 a couple of years later, and sales dried up. Was the 788 a better rifle? Some would say so based on the number sold. But as far as rifle to rifle, the Mossberg is a very modern disign, even today. I would be willing to bet it is stronger than the rear locking 788 as well. Brass life in the Mossberg would be better with full power loads too. I am thiking the Remington rifle won out in this market battle mostly because it was a "Remington" and the name sold it as well. Not saying it is not a good rifle, just wondering if the Mossberg weren't overlooked back in the day. It looks like when I find one, it should not be an expensive proposition to buy one to evaluate and shoot it.

It is a very interesting design, and a record of made in America:) by folks that used the sloagan "More gun for the money" and besides I grew up shooting a Mossberg 151M as a kid. Kinda got a soft spot for them.

Regards, Kirk
  12. tommytgunnz

tommytgunnz New Member

I have a Mossberg 800A - CAL. 308 WIN. that has a bad saftey. in fact its not even a safety. we had it "fixed" but with the saftey engaged I can't open the bolt and it will still shot while engaged were can I find a replacement bolt, and what are some ways to lighten the gun. and if any one has one with aftermarket parts send pics and response to my email. thanks yall. tommytgunnz@yahoo.com
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

man they sure dont make em like this anymore..