Mossberg 9200 Forend Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/20/02 8:57:17 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 12 mossberg / free floating barrel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ok , im picking up a mossberg .12gage auto loader from a friend of mine , in hopes doc or someone can tell me this fix

,every since he bought it ,the barrel moves back and forth {loose about 1/4 inch, it has never been disassembled ,and I thought I would give it a shot on this being a common problem before I actually take the gun home and look at it

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/20/02 9:52:40 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 12 mossberg / free floating barrel
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sounds like the forend assembly is not on correctly. I'd have to see it...
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/22/02 4:52:02 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 12 mossberg / free floating barrel
    doc I have the gun in my possession now ,it is a mossberg 5500MKII ,I took off the forearm and it appears it is missing a type of ring that should hold the barrel in place on the magazine , the ring that is on it looks like a plastic washer ,held in place by a poorly cut wide ring ,{that resembles a piece of conduit},do you have a schematic?

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/22/02 6:15:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 12 mossberg / free floating barrel
    I do have a schematic and parts list for that model, but I wont be back in the shop until Tuesday.

There is an outer and inner piston ring, a seal ring, and an O-ring that fit on the magazine tube.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/22/02 6:22:41 pm)
    doc all those are intact ,before the barrel ,the only thing holding the barrel on is a hard plastic ring ,that moves freely
    the piece i suspected was conduit "is" conduit ,i found the u.l. mark on it ,is there some sort of bushhing that should hold the barrel on?

on the cylinder it has a drawing of the wieghts and o rings that part is ok , im stuck between the barrel was once changed and not installed back correctly due to missing a bushing or the end of the barrel that goes behind the bolt is missing a piece that should catch

gpostal
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (6/23/02 10:19:47 am)
    the conduit was placed there as a ring that goes betwen the forearm and the barrel "on the magizine" , but it is still about 1/4 shy of being a good shim

its a good looking gun on the surface ,until you move the barrel ,the reciver is black and the barrel is blue ,the barrel has a vent-rib ,the fine lines on top of both do not match ,the barrel has more dpi ,the barrel does say mossberg 5500MKII

hope i made it clear im still asleep