Mossberg Bolt Action 20ga w/ full choke??

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Revs77, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Revs77

Revs77 New Member

I have a Mossberg bolt action 20ga. it has a full choke on it that looks to be original. I'm currently hunting with it because I haven't purchased a rifle yet. Question #1 is What rounds or "shots" are best for deer hunting? #2 Is it or is it not possible to shoot slugs thru this shotgun? #3 If so then what slugs are prefered for this type of shot gun? Thanks guys!
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. 2000ShadowACE

2000ShadowACE Member

Depends where you are at. In Iowa, you cannot use anything but slugs for shotgun hunting. You do not want to shoot slugs through a full choke gun.
  3. Revs77

Revs77 New Member

I'm in Texas. So whould I just remove the choke all together and be fine or would I have to replace it with a me free... open choketo shoot slugs?
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Super Full (turkey choke, Extra Full) is contraindicated for slugs, full choke should be fine.

Check the choke and make sure its doesn't have more than ,035 constriction and you are good to go, if you do your gunsmith can ream it out a little. Personally I get my best accuracy with IM choke. It help centers the slug before it leaves the barrel. Most barrels are a bit over size so cylinder bore can be a crap shoot, some will be good and others not so much.
  5. Revs77

Revs77 New Member

Ok awesome. I'll check that and so any basic slug should work? Any suggestions... favorites?
  6. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    No real favorites, the old standby for me is Brenneke for the most punch and Foster for the most accuracy. I have 5 or 6 brands of shot gun shells using Brenneke slugs in my ammo locker and all pretty much hit to the same point of aim in my guns. This article explains it better than I can off the top of my head and they give you a wide variety of slugs to choose from.

http://www.buckmasters.com/choose-the-right-slug-2.aspx