Mossberg Firing Pins

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by AimHigh, Dec 23, 2008.

1. AimHigh

AimHigh New Member

I recently bought a Mossberg ATR in 270 Win. at a large retail chain for what I thought was a bargain. I "googled up" all the info I could and initially thought I had a real winner. However, I started to see a few postings about broken firing pins on the ATR and 4x4 models. I contacted Mossberg customer service to see if this was a frequent or isolated problem. They have yet to reply. Now I'm not a gunsmith, mechanical engineer, or metalurgist. I am a retired USAF maintenance officer and a graduate of USC's Aircraft Mishap Investigation Course. I'm qualified to be the maintenance rep on military aircraft crashes - kind of like "CSI" for smoking holes in the ground when the aircrew isn't capable of saying what went wrong. The NTSB does the same work for civilian crashes. In any event when something goes wrong I want to know why.
    As for the broken firing pins: Either a design flaw (over-powerful firing pin spring, too much "play" in the pin and it shearing at the hole in the bolt face, miss alignment, or incorrect pin diameter), manufacturing defect (incorrect heat treatment or composition of the pin), or combination of things may be the cause.
    What I would like is for those folks who had a broken firing pin to come forward and give some specific details of what happened or what they did. This may be as simple as installing the the little locking roller pin backwards or a high number of "dry firings". Also, if you got an explanation from Mossberg, please share it. -AimHigh
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I am sure Mossberg will contact you after the Holidays. If they cant help you may want to try and ask this guy. He sells parts for Mossberg and knows his stuff. His email is below. Give him a call.

http://www.havlinsales.com/right.htm
  3. TogoJeff

TogoJeff New Member

Did Mossberg ever get back to you?
  4. AimHigh

AimHigh New Member

Short answer: no. I called them on this and other problems I was having namely that the last round was consistantly misfeeding. The end result was them telling me (1) they don't put warranty/registration cards in the box for new rifles (I am supposed to keep my sales receipt), (2) the ATR has a 2-year warranty as stated on the sticker on the stock, not the 1-year stated in the owner's manual, (3) They haven't had firing pin problems, and (4) They would send me a new follower/spring assembly to help with the feeding problem. That was about 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the parts. -AimHigh