1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mossberg Maverick 88

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by scattergunguy, May 15, 2006.

1. scattergunguy

scattergunguy New Member

After having so much fun at the range with my Remington 870 Express Magnum, I decided I'd get another shotgun that I could use for hunting, and give my 870 some company. I looked into getting the Maverick 88, and after much research, debate, and hesitation, I found out that the Maverick 88 is simply a cheaper version of the Mossberg 500, with a one piece forearm and safety on the trigger guard. I found one with a 26" barrel and modified choke for 175 at small gun shop here in town. It was slightly used, but in great condition. I cleaned it up a bit, and it's now sitting next to my 870. They get along great :D

[​IMG]
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They are both real good lookin guns
  3. danurve

danurve New Member

The 88 will also take most accesories for the 500 mainly barrel options. And chokes. That means Accuchokes & winchokes, check out midwayusa, trulockchokes and the carlson line (choketube.com). I have owned one for 15+ years, ugmo keeps on kickin. I have one problem with it but it's most likely age/use related. When it's sub-freezing out some 3" shells tend to jam after fire. So I stick with the 2&3/4.
  4. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

ive got one for self defense. when I bought it, it had the vent rib on the top. so cool!. cut the bbl down to 16 inches, smmoothed out all edges, put red/green truglo turkey sites on it, black rubberized sling, with shell holders,took off the furniture, and let it set in a sythetic oil mix, in a stainless steel trough i had built, for about 1 week. Put it all back together, and man! It is slicker than snot on a doorknob.