Mossberg Model 142-A

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Mar 4, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/14/03 8:25:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All OF MOSSBERG & SONS MODEL 142-A .22 LONG RIFLE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LTS,
    Could you please give me some info on one of these??
    A friend of mine found one at an estate sale and has offered it to me for $150.00
    Is it worth it ???????????????

This one is in 95% condition, has a Mossberg No.M4D 4X scpoe on it, fold down stock, and a funny looking torpedo style knob on the bolt handle.

Any info will be very helpful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Shane

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/03 9:00:18 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: OF MOSSBERG & SONS MODEL 142-A .22 LONG RIFLE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Shane....I had the semi-auto version of this sweet little carbine, the 152.

The early versions of the 142 had the "T" shaped handle and wooden fold-down forearm. Later models had a round knob bolt handle, and a plastic forearm. The 142 was made from 1949 until 1957.

Your 142A is worth:

90% = $125
    95% = 140
    98% = 160

I don't know what the scope is worth.

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 9:33:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks Xracer
    Thanks Xracer,

I talked to my friend this morning and he is willing to trade this gun to me. I'm going to trade for it.

It's just too cool to pass up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 10:40:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks Xracer
    Shane yur back? to stay? Oy vay! Wit da mossy scope an scope mount (kinda hard to find these days) In my nsho, about $175.....but what R U trading for it??

ps. didja be declared a miscreant at brand x??

Edited by: ibtrukn at: 2/15/03 10:41:29 am

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/03 2:32:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks Xracer
    Hey ya Shane.....sorry so late, seems others have helped you some. Something to remember, if scoped....does it have the rear "peep" sight. Discount for none! Now as to the scope-condition is everything here, then mounts.....certain mounts can command some extra dollars. Now, does it still have the side mounted sling swivels??? ---and does it have the original magazine, these would shoot....shorts-longs-long rifles. Now....my feelings, never did like the fold down forearm....one of the first gimics of the firearms industry in rimfires......Mossberg sold it hard.......but no sale. These types normally do not bring close to book.....at all----but condition and scope/mount.....it seems to be fair....and after all; if your happy---well then! That`s what counts---right??

Regards LTS.......and nice to see you again!!!

shane
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/03 10:22:11 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hey boys,
    Glad to see you all still remember me. I haven't posted on either board for around six months due to broken puter and long hours at work. It is nice to talk with ya'll again,

As for the gun, yes it still has the rear sight, it is just turned to the side. the scope mount is a factory ez-mount base with rings. the gun does have the sling swivels on the side and factory mag.

I'm trading a Talon 9mm that I picked up about a year ago for around $100.00 but I have never like it much at all.

I think the Mossberg will make a good hand-me-down for one of my boys in a few years even if it isn't worth a fortune.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/16/03 4:59:19 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey boys,
    Great trade....never look back....Talon/fer Mossy???? hehehehehe
  2. Bowzhunter

Bowzhunter New Member

Mossberg Model 142A question?? I know the so-called "magic" Clip which could be ajusted for short,long and long rifle came out in 1958. I have a pre 55 T bolt made from 1949-54. The mag is not ajustable is this correct mag for my gun? Mag does not function well with longs or shorts!
  3. TnGlen

TnGlen New Member

Countrygunsmith, I have an OLD Mossberg 16 gauge bolt action shotgun. The barrel has been modified with a poly choke. As far as finish goes, it is OK. What should I look for to try and determine if it is worth anything?
  4. WildJim

WildJim New Member

Previous posts provide a good estimate of the market value for this rifle. The original clip for the early model could handle both 22 short and long rifle ammo. A small metal spring (flat) inserted into the clip to shorten the chamber to hold the 22 short ammo. This small metal piece is often missing on the clip of used guns of this model.
  5. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

I have one and turned down $350 for it. At the moment I am looking for a receiver for the same gun or a gun that is reasonable priced for parts. I am in the middle of rebuilding another one and allI lack is the receiver.Can anyone help.
    PS My 142A is a tack driver .many one hole 2 shots .
  6. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

i have a T bolt 142A and it does not have that type clip'It is all original.Grandad bought it new ,I am the 3rd owner.bought a 10 shot clip at a gun show for a 340? model works well
  7. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

Previous posts are from 2003. Prices on old Mossberg .22's , sights and scopes have gun up since then. The peep sight often brings $100.00 on ebay these days and same for the scopes with mounts.
  8. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

Shane ,if you buy it and do not particularly want it,I am interested in one. I would like to find one in junk condition,but that does not seem possible these days .thanks weasle94 .email @ avcd69@comcast.net
  9. doubleslover

doubleslover New Member

I think 9 years later he has bought it by now if he wanted it. The original posting is from 2003!! :rolleyes:
  10. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

yes it is well worth it. the front stock flips down and makes a stable platform.Mine is a tack driver.I would buy it if it was offered to me (hint) email me at avcd69@comcast.net
    thanks weasle94
  11. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

I seriously need to look at dates. they are in different places on every site.