Mossberg Model 152K .22 LR What's It Worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by firstchoice, Mar 23, 2011.

1. firstchoice

firstchoice New Member

This is a very nice, well-cared-for, 7rd. clip-fed, .22 LR ONLY Semi-Auto Rifle. It has the factory flip down lower hand grip that you use as a forward K-Grip. And it's well made and works awesome as that.

I'm needing answers to three questions on this rifle, please.

1.Where is the Serial Number located on the 152K, if there is one? I don't know how old this is, but it doesn't have a serial number on it that I can find, even looking VERY closely. (AND , absolutely no evidence of one having been there and removed by filing, grinding, etc. I looked it over with a magnifying glass. Does anyone know when Mossberg started putting serial numbers on their firearms?

2. Does anyone have any idea what years these were manufactured?

3. And, the BIG question: What's something like this worth? Condition is Very Good +, AT LEAST. Only a very small amount of blueing wear around the muzzle, (taken in and out of the soft case), and the same at the rear end ring of the receiver, next to the Bolt Retaining Nut. (I imagine it's all due to R&R from a soft case.) There are handling marks on the stock, small dings, dents, fingernail-type marks on the wood. But nothing even close to major or big marks. It looks to be a Walnut stock. All parts are there and the rifle cycles flawlessly.

I would also like to find a factory scope mount and scope, if possible. And a factory Owners Manual, if the stars align. hehe Nothing wrong with wishin' and dreamin', eh?

Thanks for any and all help, hints, links, whatever ya'll got to share. Very much appreciated!
    Regards, Craig (firstchoice)
  2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Hi FirstChoice. I am not a pro on older guns But I restore alot of .22s I get them at yard sales for 1-5$ and sell them for 75.00-150$ Your gun was made between 1950-1957.It is worth 60%-50.00,70%-75.00,80%-85.00,90%-100.00,95%-110.00,98%-150.00,100%-200.00.That depends on who wants it.The ser# is on the receiver (under the stock)on the left side(at lest that is where it was on the one I restored)If a ser.# was put on it.(ser# not manditory intill 1968). GOOD SHOOTER!!!!!.Good luck and have fun with it......GOOFY:)You can get a copy of the 152k manual at www.rstmanuals.com...and to add one more thing you can get parts at www.jackfirstgun.com.It looks like they show a mount in the parts list.Part #S257 (don,t know if they have it in stock).If they don,t have it they are real good at telling you who might have it ...
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I bought one of these when I was a kid back in 1951. I had a job as riflery instructor in a summer camp, and had unlimited ammo to play with. After putting around 30,000 rounds through it, it went full auto. That was a lot of fun.
  5. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Blue book values are only a guide line . The real price comes down to what a person is willing to pay in relation to how bad they want it. It seems lately, these old Mossbergs have not really been following the book prices. Unless a gun is total junk, almost any shootable .22 will bring $100.00. The gun you are looking at, if in very good or better condition, will bring $150--$175.00, maybe a bit more depending on area and how long the seller wants to hold out. As an example, though not what one would normally expect to get, a 152 just sold on BRANDX for $304.00. The stock had been refinished but it was very nice. Even the seller didn't dream of getting that much. A model 151M also sold a week later for over the $300.00 mark. So you never know. Again, it all depends on how many people are out there wanting it. Even myself, if a particular gun is rare in my neck of the woods, I really don't pay attention to book prices if I really want it.
    The gun shouldn't have a serial number unless someone put one on. That sometimes happens if the rifle was used by some sort of shooting group. Some people put ther SIN numbers on them. Serial numbers weren't used until 1968 and are put where they can be seen easily.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

The Mossberg 152K was made from 1950 - 1957. The K model means it has regular open sights. The 152 was the same rifle but it also had a S108 Receiver (Peep) sight. Well made and dependable; designed to attract sales to retuning WWII vets and their kids with it's military "look".

If you haven't done so I would disassemble the bolt and clean it well and lightly lube it. If it has been taken care of shot recently you may not need to. but most of these old semi 22's are gummed up and operate much better after a good cleaning.

NO serial number on these. They were made before the government required them.

You can use any scope that you like, old or modern since the receiver is grooved for 22 scope rings. If you want a vintage scope that would be correct for the 152 look for a M4 Mossberg scope and original Mossberg rings for a grooved receiver. Like this one, I paid $50 for it at a gun show about three years ago. Expect to pay more for one still in the box today.
    [​IMG]

Here's a link to an exploded view of the 152;
    CLICK HERE

Looking at the exploded view you can see how the breech plug at the back of the receiver screw off to remove the bolt.

Here's a link to Instructions for Models 50 and 51. Your 152 is very similar to these, they were earlier models but operate the same.
    CLICK HERE

Here's a 1950 Mossberg catalog page for the 152.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pic of one of my 152's.
    [​IMG]
  7. firstchoice

firstchoice New Member

Excellent information! Thanks to each and every one that responded. I haven't disassembled it entirely yet. I was waiting until I had some sort of exploded view or owners manual for reference. After the limited cleaning that I did do, I fired it and it cycles great and was very accurate.
    Mine has the black synthetic forearm as pictured in GunHugger's post. I'm surprised and pleased at how well it fits and works. No loose-fit, no slack or gaps. That says a lot for a 55-60 year-old stock. I was born in '54, wish I had held up as well as this rifle!
    But mine is equiped with only the standard open sights. I am surprised that the "K" means that it's equiped with open sights. I figured it was because it had the "K-Grip"-style forearm that's so popular on the modern assault rifles, M-4's, etc. That's why I ask on these forums, so much to learn, from such a large "database' of gun owners all over the states. That's the best thing about the internet for me.
    I would like to find the original Mossberg scope rings and M4 Mossberg scope. Does anyone have a picture of what the issued sling would look like? I suppose any would work but I like to collect the whole package, as issued, if possible.
    I'm releived to hear that no serial number was on these. Another good bit of info to learn about the 1968 date for serial numbers. I figure it must have been part of the 1968 gun laws that were passed? I was just a teen then so they didn't ask my opinion. yeah right.
    doubleslover--yeah, I know what you mean about the "It depends on how bad you want it will dictate how much you'll pay for it" statement. I think that's true for a lot of serious collectors. Although, I have a good friend that WILL NOT pay a dollar more than what the "going price" is for something, even though he will spend 10x that amount in gas, plus his time, to find the same thing-at his price- somewhere else.
    Thanks again to everyone that replied! Much appreciated.
    firstchoice

GunHugger: Did you refinish that stock on your 152 or were lucky enough to find it in that condition? I thought mine was in good shape, but yours looks NEW. My finish is darker, with the surface showing a "crinkling" in the varnish, mostly in the cheek weld area. Nice 152 specimen GunHugger!
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  8. BalkanDeputy

BalkanDeputy New Member

I located your forum while researching information on the Mossberg Model 152. This was my first 22 cal rifle when I was 15 years old ( 1965). I recently purchased one off of *** ******for $125. with a factory installed scope ( no front site. My question is, is there a standard Mossberg sling for this rifle? The picture I saw which looked like an advertisement showed the sling swivels attached to the left side of the stock, and the sling itself looked like it was from an M1 Carbine. Thank you in advance for any information you can give.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
  9. branman1971

branman1971 New Member

I scored this 152K at a yard sale for 50.00, talked down from 80.00. Took the rifle down to parade rest and cleaned everything and reassembled with light oiling. It came with a strap that shows lots of wear, but I think it might be original. It had no magazine so I ordered one from Havlin, and it works great. I love this thing. The stock is exceptionally rough though and I was thinking of taking it down smooth and refinishing it. What do you guys think about doing this? Some folks think it takes away from the rifle's character. Thanks...

Attached Files:

• 152k.jpg
      152k.jpg
      File size:
      136.6 KB
      Views:
    • 152k2.jpg
      152k2.jpg
      File size:
      151.7 KB
      Views:
  10. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I personally would refinish it. Looks like a decent piece of wood. I just can't leave a fine old rifle in that condition. That's me ,though, so if I were you I would do what you want with it. Lots of opinions, but in the end, whats gonna make you happy when you look at it.
  11. vtecngsr

vtecngsr New Member

I have a original scope and sling that came with that rifle I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested, I just finished cleaning up the rifle was so gumed up that you could barley pull the action back but she's smooth as silk now! as for the scope I am primairly a airguner and the scopes on my airguns are 30mm tubes so I plan on upgrading it anyone interested just message I have pictures I can E-mail

ps has the original one peice mounts as well
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011