Mossberg Western Field 22's

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

warpig883
    (1/3/02 4:13:31 pm)
    Reply Mossberg Western Field 22's
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following info for the above gun
    Hooded srew out front sight
    micrometer swing away rear sight
    also has ramp rear sight that adjusts with wheels
    Takedown screw on the bottom of stock has a little pull out blade to turn
    Fancy stock with cheekpiece and shnabel forearm
    factory sling swivels
    nice beaver tail checkering
    nice blueing
    wood is in good shape but finish is wore bad
    trigger guard cracked
    It is a Wards Western Field model 14m 390b
    made by Mossberg

It comes with a Wards Western Field model 04m 390a that is missing the front half of the bolt. BUT has a good trigger guard that would go nicely on the above rifle. Plain stock and sights on this one.

Both guns for $175.00

What do you guys think?

We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Xracer
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/3/02 5:27:26 pm)
    Reply Re: Mossberg Western Field 22's
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't know about values, but I've always had a soft spot for Mossies. Not a high end gun, but always a good safe, reliable, firearm.

If the bores are good, and they function properly, I don't think you could get hurt too much at that price.

warpig883
    (1/3/02 5:32:28 pm)
    Reply Re: Mossberg Western Field 22's
    Yes the bore is bright on the fancy one. I do not know about the other one as I did not inspect that one too close.

Turns out I am not going to buy them anyway. Was just showing them off because the top one is a pretty nice little unique gun.
    We can't be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans... -- Bill Clinton, US President (USA Today, 11 Mar 1993, page 2a)

Edited by: warpig883 at: 1/4/02 11:51:02 am
  2. tinkersdam2

tinkersdam2 New Member

I have a "WARDS WESTERN FEILD" 22 rifle model 04M 390A that is missing the bolt. Can you tell me if it is still possible to get one for this gun? I have done a little research and I think this gun was made for Wards by Stevens Arms before they were merged with Savage Arms. It is in fair shape considering I was told it had apparently been buried in the back yard for at least fifteen years. Needs re-blued and the stock could use re-finishing but the bore is clear and no major rust. this little rifle just feels so good when pulled to my shoulder and the sights seem to lock onto whatever I am looking at without any effort on my part. Just a really comfortable fit and I would like to restore it if possible. can you help?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

Your gun is the same as the Mossberg model 26B made 1938-41. I know of a couple of guys who looked a long time for replacement bolts and they weren't cheap when they found them. Unless you find someone who has a bolt that doesn't follow Mossberg prices, you might be better off buying a complete gun.