Mossberg year date code?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rocklinskier, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Does anyone know the date codes for Mossberg 500A?

Dad's gun is not old, so should not be a big mystery, but can't seem to find the info anywhere. I'm guessing it is coded by the letter of the serial?? in this case and "L"

Also....I cleaned his gun for him last night and noticed that the bead sight protrudes slightly in to the bore. Is this something that deserves attention?? Should I remove bead and sand or file a bit off so that it is flush or does it hurt anything to be like this?

He bought the gun from a family friend...It was virtually unused and the price was right. It's purpose is solely as a varmit blaster/home defense in case that matters.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I personally know of no dating source for Mossbergs. As for the bead sight, either way, it;s been shot like that, so it must not be protruding very much
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009