Mossberg's MVP 5.56 bolt action rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by BigBandy417, Aug 27, 2013.

1. BigBandy417

BigBandy417 New Member

Anyone have some time one one? Very interested to hear about it.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Have you bought one yet?
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've put a few rounds downrange with one of the Patrol models (the 16.25" version). Wasn't that impressed with the barrel length, but I like the Mossberg action in general.

I passed up on an MVP Predator (20") and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it that day. I'd prefer the 24" Varminter except with a Predator stock...I'm a lefty and the Varminter stock just doesn't work for us "wrong-side" shooters.

Polishshooter here has either a Predator or Varminter and he posted a decent review of it's performance on his SD prairie dog hunt this year.
  4. BigBandy417

BigBandy417 New Member

No I have not bought one, hence me asking about them.
    Thanks for the info I'll be lookin for his thread.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The reason I ask is because I do not think highly of them. I see them from a mechanical standpoint and quality in workmanship standpoint. I get them, the 4X4s and the 100ATRs thru my shop all the time and in my professional opinion they are pieces if s***..

Save a little extra money and buy a savage model 10 or a Remington 700
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I didn't see the post,BBandy, but I recommend the MVP for the price.

Yeah the bolt will NOT feel like your high dollar bolt gun will feel like, but I think it has a lot to do with it being the first bolt gun ever designed to take AR-15 mags.....SUCCESSFULLY.

Not only did they have to patent the "drop head" bolt to allow it to dig down and catch the round from ANY AR mag, I believe some of the "slop" is what they had to design in to allow it to feed from so many different mags...

Remember, the selling point was NOT so much price, which was attractive no matter what...it was to get ACCURACY from the only bolt gun in the world that ALSO takes AR-15 mags....at an affordable price.

Yeah, Rugers and Remingtons and Savages ARE better rifles....but none of them have figured out yet how to feed from a 30 round C-mag or P-mag yet...;):cool: So MAYBE there is a REASON that "sloppy bolt" is PATENTED....

All I can say, 3/8" to 1/2" groups at 100 with 52 or 69 gr Matchkings and .60" groups with 60 gr Vmaxs tells me the rifle will SHOOT.

BTW, about 3/8" is the BEST I have ever gotten with my M77VR Ruger .220 Swift....

Buy the Mossberg.
  7. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

I bought one and thought I would sell it after the first week because of the bolt. It was loose and sloppy and would hang when opening or closing. After putting about 200 rounds down range the bolt problem is gone. I used white lithium grease and worked it a lot and now it feels like a different rifle.

The gun shoots sub-MOA groups at 100 yards. The target below is one I used to sight in the scope. The first shot is on the far left, then the two on the far right show too much adjustment. The three shots at the top of the bullseye are after the second adjustment, and the five shot group just below the bullseye are after the third adjustment.

All these shots were with cheap 55 gr. American Eagle ammo. I'm going to the range today and try different bullet weights. I have 40 gr, 55 gr, 60 gr, 69 gr, and 77 gr. The gun has a 1:9 twist so I expect the 55 & 60 gr to shoot the best, but I want to try them all.

I also have a Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel .223 and I like shooting the MVP better. That's partly because the Remington is so heavy and has such a bright shiny finish on the barrel and stock that I'm afraid of scratching it. I also really like the fact that I can use AR mags in the MVP. I like being able to load 5 - 10 round mags at one time and shoot away.

Edit: Another reason I started to sell the gun was the trigger. Info that comes with the rifle says it has an adjustable trigger and is set for a 2 lb pull at the factory. I have a Lyman trigger pull gauge and the pull measured 3 lb 8 oz out of the box and there was no more adjustment. Now after cleaning, lubing, and shooting the trigger pull is 2 lb 5 oz and seems to be coming down every time I shoot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

You guys bare with me. I build Long Range rifles.. I am admittedly a rifle snob.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

and a scope snob too
    :)
  10. polishshooter

Funny JLA, as much as I love my Mossberg and Leupolds (which is about as far as I go with my "scope snobbery....":p)

I had a helluva time trying to justify the extra 1 to 2 bills to put a similar Leupold on it....but I AM happy with the Nikon.....(did go with a Monarch though!;))

I definitely wouldn't put a Swavroski or a Zeiss on it though even if I could AFFORD one....:p

But one of my P-dog buddies said it best, even though he IS a scope snob....

What he said was, "REALLY, if you don't use your scope fo glassing far hills and only use it for SHOOTING, any decent scope, even low end ones, that will adjust to and hold consistent zero, allows you to shoot THAT rifle to it's full potential, doesn't fog, and are backed up with at least a decent warranty are good scopes...

He STILL doesn't like Tascos or Simmons or many other "blister pack" scopes, but allowed he has owned a few "cheap" Bushnells in his life and they worked well.....
  11. polishshooter

Steve, I never measured mine, but it was CRISP right out of the box which means more to me than pounds, even though it was plenty light enough for me.

I can feel creep with the lightest trigger, if it's there, and mine is as crisp as any accutrigger I have shot.

My Ruger M77VR has a factory adjustible trigger that is really light AND crisp, and my buddies who have custom trigger jobs have commented it is one of the best they have ever felt on a factory trigger, they would have bet work was done to it...

But it isn't THAT much better than my Predator....