Most accurate .22lr?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by rip3000gt, Dec 21, 2005.

1. rip3000gt

rip3000gt New Member

Hey everybody I did a quick search and nothing came up so I thought I would ask.

What is the most accurate .22lr that you can get out of the box?

I have been told that the WINCHESTER 52, ANSCHUTZ 54, and the KIMBER (of Oregon) M82 are the best.

Are there anyothers that are better?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  2. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

add...

VICKERS FALLING BLOCK (EMPIRE & JUBILEE GRADES)

but the WIN. 52 is king.

best regards, mike.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

A friend used to compete in 22 silohuette matches in the Los Angeles area and was a 50/50 chance to win. He always liked to beat the other contestants with different guns that were less expensive. He competed with a Bullberry barreled Thompson Contender and claimed he could out shoot all the expensive European rifles (Anshutz). He is an excellent marksman, the gun has an almost dangerously light trigger (has to slowly close the action or the trigger will trip-not unsafe as the TC uses a set trigger system and the hammer is the last thing you cock before shooting it), and Bullberry barrel is expensive and remarkably accurate. He claims it will out shoot an Anshutz.

LDBennett
  4. KimberLover

KimberLover New Member

Tough question, and you should get a lot of opinions on this. My experience with the three makes you mention is limited to those in sporter trim, but with a Win 52 repro and not an original. I agree that these are all really fine. Wish I could know something about the Vickers, but I don't. Because ammo is a big variable, the question gets even tougher.

Candidates that you don't mention are Sako Finnfire, Browning A-Bolt and Rem 541-T or S, but all are now discontinued. If "out of the box" means new rifles available today, look to the Cooper 57. I got some experience recently with a Classic sporter and it was fantastic with middle grade target ammo.
  5. It is difficult to beat the Anschutz, Rip, though many of the other rifles you and others have mentioned here may equal it with the right ammo. It all comes down to the fact that, usually, you get what you pay for. Anschutz is not cheap, nor will you find any competion rifle that is.
  6. jaztym

jaztym New Member

Can't help but jump in here with a comment.
    KimberLover mentioned the Remington 541 S (Sporter) & T (Target) series.
    These rifles were discontinued in 1983, I own an "S" version I picked up used some years ago. With 4X scope, calm air conditions and being careful, I've shot <> 1" groups at 100 yds from rest. For me, Wolf target is the best so far! I'm told the "T" (heavy barrel) version enjoys some success in competion. Would like to buy one but they're very scarce; years of looking and no luck.
    Further, I've been told the action on these is derived from the Remington 40X series that is legendary in performance.
  7. mdw442

mdw442 New Member

Are we talking out of the box or modified? If it is out of the box, than I can't help but be a schill for the Marlin 880SQ. I've got several and all will put 10 rounds in a 1 1/4" circle at 100 yards using Wolf ammo or other match grade. In the hands of a good shooter, I'm sure they could do even better. I'm sure some of the other brands are awesome, but the 880SQs cost me $235 each plus bipods and scopes. Tough to beat that price/performance. :D
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2005
  8. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

my WIN. 52 will put 25 rounds of CCI GREENTAG into a dime at 100 yds, and into one ragged but tiny hole at 50 yds...

i have shot perfect for record (during sanctioned match) 400-40X prone scores with it several times...

in addition to its special heavy bull BBL, it has a factory installed NSS 4-POINT ELECTRONIC BEDDING SYSTEM, adjustable match trigger, etc...

lock it on a test platform and it will outshoot any production / factory made gun past, present or modern...

we can debate the various merits of other more pedestrian, plebian guns that cover a broad pricing spectrum...

but the WIN. 52 is KING!!!

the best "CHEAP" out of the box .22 rf rifle ever made is produced by NORINCO (JW-15)...

i paid $59.99 for them (dealer cost when still imported)...

it will put a whole box of .22 rf in a 1" circle at 100 yds (bagged bench rest / slow fire / scoped)...

the COOPER, CZ, CHARLES DALEY, NORINCO, etc... are copies of the 52...

JMHO.

best regards, mike.
  9. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

My vote goes to the Anschutz 54 Match.

This one was made in 1965 and is still a tack driver.

The target dot was shot at 100 yds, prone position.

Please excuse the off center group. I had a bit of a cross wind. :D

Attached Files:

10. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

well for cheap money , go try a marlin, you might get lucky with aworld class accurate rifle. for a little more money try a t/c or a cz. for some bigger money try a Anschutz or a cooper or volquartzen. Your best bet for middle o road money and great accuracy, cz every day.
  11. rip3000gt

rip3000gt New Member

Sorry I haven't posted its been crazy with the holidays,

I was just wondering because lately we have been getting some higher end guns and was wondering what other ones there were.

I have:

Savage-Anschutz 54 Sporter
    Anschutz 1422 Sporter
    Winchester 52 Target (one of the old ones)
    Winchester 52B (from the late 90's)
    Browning 52
    Kimber (of Oregon) 82 Super America

also does anyone know what the differences (besides the name) are between the Browning 52 and the Winchester 52 are, if any?

Thanks Guys
  12. stash247

stash247 New Member

Rip, Browning builds the rifle today, regardless of the label. They are the same gun.
    To the question, with what ammo, under what conditions, on what particular day???
    Every rifle I've seen mentioned can shoot a ragged hole, at 100, with ammo, and a shooter, it likes.
    I shoot a Rem 40-X, a couple of Win 52's, a Stevens 44 1/2, and some east German bolt guns, to make a short list, all of which are more capable than myself, given ammo they like.
    Since we all know that a .22 rf cannot shoot .3's, at 100, what does one do with the targets???
  13. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

A CMP Mossberg, with a trigger job , is a dang accurate rifle for the investment. ;)
  14. masterdave

masterdave New Member

tHE COST OF A GOOD 22 IS THE SAME AS A CENTERFIRE GUN LOOK AT RIMEFIRE CENTRAL ONLINE MATCHES AND ALSO BENCHREST CENTRAL, THERE IS A VERITY OF EXCELENT 22S FOR SALE AND THE INFO YOU CAN FIND IS WELL WORTH A LOOK BEFORE LAYING OUT $$$$ AS FAR AS OUT OF THE BOX THE SUHL 150 IS THE GUN TO GET THEY WERE MADE FOR THE GERMEN OLYMPIS TEAM AND ASOME WERE IMPORTED INTO THIS COUNTRY .
    SOME OF THE BEST 22 BENCHREST GUNS ALIVE WERE BUILT ON THE 150 AND OUT OF THE BOX WITH ADDITION OF A TUNER AND SCOPE THEY WILL SHOOT WITH ANEYTHING EVER MADE THEY COME UP ON THE CLASIFIED SECTION OF BENCHREST CENTRAL AT TIMES BUT EXPECT TO PAY AROUND $1.000 FOR A STOCK ONE AND UP TO SEVERAL TIMES THAT FOR A PROVEN BENCHREST CONVERSION
    GOOD LUCK DAVE
  15. Joe Haller

Joe Haller New Member

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan & Mission, Texas
    I would agree with Dave, (Master Dave) about the Suhl 150. Many of us that are into Rimfire Benchrest competition consider the East German Suhl to be the King of the Accuracy Hill when it comes Factory Produced Rifles. Unfortunately they are not being made anymore. Seems they have some features that were under Anschutz patent, and when the Berlin Wall fell an agreement was reached to stop making the Suhl.

One story I heard was that about 700 of them were imported into the USA. I remember seeing ads in Precision Shooting several years ago on them. They had been tested for accuracy and graded from Grade 5 to Grade 10. The Grade 10 rifles were selling for considerable more than the Grade 5 rifles. To make Grade 10 a rifle had to shoot 4 of 5 five shot groups into less than 2/10 of an inch at 50 yards. I don’t have figures on how the others were graded.

I have three Suhl 150s. One is a grade ten with McMillan stock and a barrel tuner. I do not know how the other two were graded. They all have factory barrels. One of them still has the Facory Wood Stock. They all have shot scores of 250 at 25 yards on the USBR target in RFC E-Mail Match competition.

Many of the most accurate Suhl 150 rifles had McMillan stocks and barrel tuners put on them. Many have been fitted with custom barrels, but it seems that some of those factory barrels will shoot with the best of the custom barrels. Dave’s Suhl has a Lilja barrel, McMillan stock and a barrel tuner. It is seldom that my factory barreled Grade 10 Suhl will beat his with the Lilja barrel.

The Suhl 150 had a good action and a great trigger that can be safely adjusted down to 1.5 oz. with a screwdriver. Put a custom barrel on one of those grade 5s or 6’s and you may have a world beater.

Joe Haller Mr. Frosty :)
    -------------------------------------------
    Here is something you may find interesting: I picked this up on Benchrest Central on Friday, 13 October 2000. The post was made by a shooter with the screen name of WBS.

I am going to share the truth, as I know it about the "Suhl". First of all, Suhl is not a brand but a town in the former DDR or East Germany. The town is known for its gunsmithing tradition over many years. However, when the Russians, that is when the DDR became a democratic republic, took over East Germany, they converted the arms factories in Suhl for their own use. Many produced AK 47s among other weapons of war. There was one factory as I understand that was originally formed in Suhl called Haenel (spelling may be wrong), which was converted to making target rifles, including sniper rifles. This factory made guns for the Russian olympic team as well as the Olympic team of the DDR. As the DDR became more of a Russian state than a puppet, the factory gained more freedom, and began to make its target rifles for the DDR olympic team only, although it still made sniper rifles and other plausible weapons. The 150 is either a training rifle for the DDR olympic team or the actual rifle that was used by the DDR in the Olympics. At any rate the action is the same, although current thinking is that the DDR used a "custom shop" to soup up the actual olympic rifles.
    When the wall came down, East Germany needed something very fast, the American dollar. And Americans love guns. The former DDR sold off the Suhl 150s to various importers, although Davidson's did most of the importing in the US. I bought two of these guns for less than $300 at a pawn shop but was not convinced of their ability and sold them. I have located four more that were purchased for about the same price and am in the process of trying to acquire them. If you will notice, these guns are typical of communist produced items, they are inconsistent in fit and finish, although most are very good shooters indeed.
    -------------------------------------------
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2006