most accurate auto-loading caliber

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by llama.45, Jul 8, 2006.

?

what is the most accurate autoloading caliber for taget shooting

1. 9mm para.

28.7%
  2. .40

6.9%
  3. 10mm

7.5%
  4. .45 acp

56.9%
  1. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

what is the most accurate auto-loading caliber for target shooting?
  2. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

.45 in a 1911 of course.
  3. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

DITTO_DITTO_DITTO_ 1911in 45 acp
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  4. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Hey what about the 38 Super ?
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A bullet is only as accurate as the gun thats only as accurate as the shooter. With that being said I like the .45
  6. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

caliber may play a part...

but its the gun in the end thats the deciding factor...

and locked in a ransom rest, the SIG P210N crushes 99.9% of all 1911A1`s ever made...

caliber vs caliber is a tough question...

i have always found 9mm largo handguns to be oddly accuratte...

best regards, mike.
  7. I have to go with the .45 ACP, but only with one proviso: It's really accurate only in a well-tuned 1911 auto. Out of the box, I would go with the 9mm as the most inherently accurate pistol round ever designed.
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

"Auto loading caliber" is a trick question; a wicked, wicked trick!
    If this is a question of a cartridge originally designed for a self-loader, there is nothing but the .45 ACP!
    My Smith M-52 will shoot the socks off most 1911's, for accuracy, but it is, of course, chambered in .38 S&W Spl, and will shoot nothing but flush seated Wadcutter bullets. Designed for revolvers, adapted to self loaders!
    Sig, in the 210, shot 32S&W long, the same way, and was/is a 50 yard "paper punch", as a rule! Also a 'revolver' caliber!
    1911's, built as "wad guns", in ,38 Spl, and .38 AMU, 'owned' the accuracy turf , for years, as the 'centerfire gun', of a three gun match, and showed better scores than the 'Military pistol' leg, hands down. The AMU is truly a 'dedicated' caliber, chambered, to my knowledge, in nothing but M1911 pattern pistols.
    But, all this is foreplay, to the real winner, the .22 LR, which, in good gear and good hands, will outshoot any centerfire caliber on the planet! But, the 'clinker', this caliber, as well, was first a revolver cartridge, by design!
  9. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Do you mean .45 ACP.

As far as I know, 1911 is a date, not caliber.
  10. IShootBack

Ditto....1911 is not a caliber. It is a date.
  11. IShootBack

Very Good Answer. Thanks.
  12. SKYDIVER386

SKYDIVER386 New Member

I would say the .38 super pistols that I have fired edge out the .45 ones. The S&W 52 in 9mm is also a very very accurate pistol.
  13. JohnGerald

JohnGerald New Member

Ammunition calber is a minor component of shooting well. The pistol is more important, but the shooter determines what hits the target best. My wrists don't support a .45, so I shoot nines and .38s. On good day, I do allright; but if I'm not feeling well, haven't slept well, got the SO or the dog mad at me (easier by far with the former) I don't shoot well. It's not the pistol's fault or the ammos; It's the shooter's fault.

There's a whole lot to be said for mindset and muscle memory, IMHO.
  14. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

General wisdom has that the .45 ACP. is the most accurate of the 4 you posted.(This is your poll llama so if you left another caliber out, you have the right to ask what you want to know). As Pistolenschutzen said, however, I think this has more to do with supertunned guns than with the cartridge itself. Also, as stash247 implies, I've seen Sig P-210 out of the box so accurate, that they'll make many 1911 go home crying for mom.
    In conclusion, I think accuracy is more the happy coincidence of good circumstances.(Good gun, good load, good shooter, good day, etc.)
  15. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I vote for the .22LR as the most accurate auto-loading caliber.

Low recoil, so you don't build up flinching. Suitable for fixed-barrel actions. Within its limits, a tack-driver.

[grin]